Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo theft risk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo theft risk

I am new to the Evo world having just bought a new Evo a few months ago and I am curious as to what the theft risk level is of these cars? Yes, I know any car can be stolen if left vulnerable but is the Evo considered a higher or lower theft risk than the average car. Is it common to hear about Evo thefts on this forum? I searched and only saw a few posts of reports.

Also, why do many pictures of Evo's have the license plate blacked out? Is there a valid reason to do that? Are posters concerned that someone is going to look up their license plate and come steal their car or what? Is there some valid concern to be aware of?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiBoy
I am new to the Evo world having just bought a new Evo a few months ago and I am curious as to what the theft risk level is of these cars? Yes, I know any car can be stolen if left vulnerable but is the Evo considered a higher or lower theft risk than the average car. Is it common to hear about Evo thefts on this forum? I searched and only saw a few posts of reports.

Also, why do many pictures of Evo's have the license plate blacked out? Is there a valid reason to do that? Are posters concerned that someone is going to look up their license plate and come steal their car or what? Is there some valid concern to be aware of?
This is just my opinion after owning an EvO for 10 years. These cars are becoming a rarity out their & prices have appreciated. As an example, I paid 22K for my used EvO & Im sure I can sell it for about the same

Heres a recent thread that discusses ways to protect your EvO from theft: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-security.html

And lastly, its good general practice to wipe out your license plate no.s. Im sure there are paid programs that will enable you to locate owners / addresses

Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Around where I am I never hear them getting stolen. People steal fart can Civics and Integras every other day out of the Toronto area but Evos, nah. Not sure if they are considered easy or hard to steal as I'm not a thief. But once you know your car you'll see there's a few very easy tricks to do to make sure the only way your car can get stolen is with a flatbed. Mitsus in general don't seem bad where I am. Other areas may differ - but I leave my DSM unlocked. If anybody can actually get away with that car and all it's quirks, successfully, they deserve it The Evo I do lock when I go places because it has a key FOB so it's easy

For the plate, my cars are registered to a completely different address, and short of shopping trips they're either in a closed & locked garage/shop or compound at work. So I don't bother.

Last edited by six40; Jan 11, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:54 AM

I do know that the highest stolen cars are those with the highest demand for their parts NOT because they are the most sexiest or most desirable cars. Also if the parts can be used in many other different models that increases their demand. That is why the Honda Accord, Civic and Ford F-150 are at the top of the list. I don't think the Evo's fit that profile. Still, I wanted to ask here before I left my Evo running with the keys in it in front of the local 7-11 store.

Last edited by MiamiBoy; Jan 11, 2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It’s hard to quantify it. One would assume the cars are hot items but frankly over the years I don’t feel like I saw that many threads about them getting stolen.

There’s the whole cliche about “if someone wants to steal your car, they will,” but I highly doubt someone is going to quietly pull up on a flatbed and jack your Mitsubishi at night. They might steal rims or break into the car but I don’t feel like the cars are stolen all that frequently.

I feel like my unbrakeable auto lock gives me a good amount of security. I’ve had it over the last 12 years for my two Evos and I’ve been pretty fortunate.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I believe thieves are on the look out for easy situations, just dont leave it where it can be easily moved. As said above parts dictate theft magnet. So highly modded evo parked in lane way at night bye bye
Old Jan 13, 2018, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

its not common to hear about Evo thefts on the forum. but when you see a post about one try to guess what city before reading it. most likey its Chicago.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 08:55 PM

Take precautions as always, install alarm, etc and with todays technology, the possibilites are endless