Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

FOR FEMALES: What made you want to join the import car scene?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOR FEMALES: What made you want to join the import car scene?

Hello ladies, I'm conducting an ethnography for my class about why people join the import scene and I want to here from you, what made you want to join the car scene. I've done a lot of reading on how it is a male-dominated sub culture, however females are growing and challenging mens masculinity. I've asked a question earlier "What made you want to purchase your evo?". If you want, you can go onto that post and answer that question as well. I know many females in the car scene and they are some of the most coolest people I've met.
Thank you for your time!
Lorenzo
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
why's everything gotta be "MALE VS FEMALE"? why can't it just be that they were into cars and who the hell cares if its a male or female?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
why's everything gotta be "MALE VS FEMALE"? why can't it just be that they were into cars and who the hell cares if its a male or female?

Because he's conducting an ethnography for his class( hopefully lol). Most guys are already into cars and thanks to our restricting social norms, females are not introduced to car stuff at a young age. They are introduced to dolls not tools. If a female is into cars, that means she might have had to go against the grain to get there, which is brave.
The following users liked this post:
yozo (Apr 27, 2018)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Because he's conducting an ethnography for his class( hopefully lol). Most guys are already into cars and thanks to our restricting social norms, females are not introduced to car stuff at a young age. They are introduced to dolls not tools. If a female is into cars, that means she might have had to go against the grain to get there, which is brave.
Or she's looking for attention and doesn't know **** about anything...lol
Old Apr 12, 2018, 03:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
guys have dolls too, they are just called action figures. If im not mistaken, there was a barbie corvette right?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 03:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Or she's looking for attention and doesn't know **** about anything...lol
there are alot of dudes driving around in supercars that fall in this category too lol
Old Apr 12, 2018, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
there are alot of dudes driving around in supercars that fall in this category too lol
True story.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I knew when I looked at this thread there would be no females on it and a bunch of old timer guys in here debating on why this thread is necessary :P
Old Apr 13, 2018, 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm not old though...lol. Not even 30..
Old Apr 13, 2018, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'm not old though...lol. Not even 30..

Haha, we have old souls
Old Apr 16, 2018, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, for dudes it can't be for picking up chicks.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Lorenzo,

I have some female input for you. I grew up on a body shop and helped my grandfather with cars since I could walk, even after he passed I continued to learn about vehicles and began to become more interested in mechanical work vs body work. After high school I decided to get my automotive engineering degree and graduated in 2015 with my associates. I was a mechanic for 2 years and decided the amount of work vs pay in the beginning wasn't worth it so I decided to join the power trade and work on cars on the side (mainly my own haha)

As far as imports go, I am not 100% sure WHY I have only import cars (I have a Honda, the Mitsu, and a Nissan) perhaps because when I was growing up my mother was extremely strict on ensuring the only vehicles in her yard were domestics (back in her day, you only purchased American made things #MURICA!) So once I turned 18 and moved out, I purchased my first import, got rid of the old Chevy Cavalier and started working for Toyota. Haven't owned another domestic vehicle since, I enjoy the efficiency and reliability of a Honda, the fun and burnouts offered from the Nissan, and the learning experience with the Mitsu. I also enjoy Autox, in which not many domestic cars are offered in RWD or AWD that are superior handling. I was never influenced by friends or family to purchase imports, growing up in a super small town(population 518) "rice burners" were frowned upon, but I never really fit in with the "redneck" crowd to begin with. Now, at age 24, my family accepts the cars I own(of course they still give me sh*t, but in a joking matter). They all get enjoyment out of watching me race, learn, and plus they get to go for fun rides in-between.

I try not to associate with the "car scene" too much for a large majority of people in the group lack respect for others, seem to build their cars for the wrong reasons(attention) , and are a bit obnoxious with their cars. I will go to a meet here and there but I enjoy driving and racking up seat time the most. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask
Old Apr 27, 2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
I knew when I looked at this thread there would be no females on it and a bunch of old timer guys in here debating on why this thread is necessary :P
Hahaha right. it was a gamble posting this but I wanted to see if I actually could get anything valuable
Old Apr 27, 2018, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FlashEvolution
Hi Lorenzo,

I have some female input for you. I grew up on a body shop and helped my grandfather with cars since I could walk, even after he passed I continued to learn about vehicles and began to become more interested in mechanical work vs body work. After high school I decided to get my automotive engineering degree and graduated in 2015 with my associates. I was a mechanic for 2 years and decided the amount of work vs pay in the beginning wasn't worth it so I decided to join the power trade and work on cars on the side (mainly my own haha)

As far as imports go, I am not 100% sure WHY I have only import cars (I have a Honda, the Mitsu, and a Nissan) perhaps because when I was growing up my mother was extremely strict on ensuring the only vehicles in her yard were domestics (back in her day, you only purchased American made things #MURICA!) So once I turned 18 and moved out, I purchased my first import, got rid of the old Chevy Cavalier and started working for Toyota. Haven't owned another domestic vehicle since, I enjoy the efficiency and reliability of a Honda, the fun and burnouts offered from the Nissan, and the learning experience with the Mitsu. I also enjoy Autox, in which not many domestic cars are offered in RWD or AWD that are superior handling. I was never influenced by friends or family to purchase imports, growing up in a super small town(population 518) "rice burners" were frowned upon, but I never really fit in with the "redneck" crowd to begin with. Now, at age 24, my family accepts the cars I own(of course they still give me sh*t, but in a joking matter). They all get enjoyment out of watching me race, learn, and plus they get to go for fun rides in-between.

I try not to associate with the "car scene" too much for a large majority of people in the group lack respect for others, seem to build their cars for the wrong reasons(attention) , and are a bit obnoxious with their cars. I will go to a meet here and there but I enjoy driving and racking up seat time the most. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask
Thank you for providing this information for me I really appreciate it! I'll dm you if I come across any other questions
Old Apr 27, 2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I agree with you. When I see skate posts and everyone goes crazy over a girl kick flipping a 3 stair, I'm just like "why does it matter so much that it's a girl" aren't we all equal human beings? I'm just doing this research and sources I've come across explained how the car scene is male dominated and I came across an article titled "Gendered Performances in a Male-Dominated Subculture: ‘Girl Racers’, Car Modification and the Quest for Masculinity". It intrigued me to use for this ethnography for my class. I don't care or discriminate against genders in subcultures, I'm only doing this for a final paper haha
Hope you have a good one!

Quick Reply: FOR FEMALES: What made you want to join the import car scene?