Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Motor Trend: Civic Type R Vs Focus RS Vs STI Type RA Vs Golf R With Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Motor Trend: Civic Type R Vs Focus RS Vs STI Type RA Vs Golf R With Lap Times

Good reading and Randy Probst tested all at Streets of Willow.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...ra-comparison/
Old May 29, 2018, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
4th Place: 2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA
Rough and tumble Type RA promises much but doesn’t deliver the goods
I could have told them that just after seeing the subaru promo material on the car... its a blatant money grab by subaru, not even close to being worth the extra cost over a standard STi
Old May 29, 2018, 05:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
track-ready 2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA is arguably the baddest WRX ever to hit our shores.
followed by

Nothing comes easy. The Subaru’s engine feels straight out of a turbocharged 1980s rally car. It’s lazier than The Dude at low end, but once boost hits at 3,000 rpm, it surges forward, only to be held back by its ridiculously short gear ratios. You better get used to muscling that notchy shifter from gate to gate.
The Type RA doesn’t get any more manageable through bends. Steering is quick and heavy but lacks the feedback you’d expect from a hydraulic steering rack, and the track-oriented suspension tosses you around on all but the smoothest surfaces. “It requires a lot of corrections through bumpy corners—quite a chore,” associate road test editor Erick Ayapana said. Road test editor Chris Walton agreed: “The experience remains one of continual ‘delay gain,’ with unsure steering, tremendous turbo lag, and a ‘Who knows what’s going to happen next?’ feeling most of the time.”
Um... wut?
Old May 30, 2018, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
followed by

Um... wut?
we'll they've all been pretty bad... the steering feel is horrible cause of the maze the steering shaft has to go through with that super wide flat 4, gearing has always been super short and they've always been pretty laggy cause of the super long header, and then fall off quick on the top end cause tiny turbo to try and combat that lag... once driving its easy to stay in boost though

I think the best one is the first one they started selling in the US. I drove a couple briefly when my sister had an 08 STi (second gen they sold in the US) and I was surprised about how much better the previous gen was on all accounts. steering felt better, turn in was better, engine was more responsive... and the older ones were stock and my sister's had a few mods that I thought made a huge improvement over stock...
Old May 30, 2018, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
What is needed is a Honda Civic Type R with a VW body.
Old May 30, 2018, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Nothing to add here except my stock Accord v-6 coupe has a faster mph in the quarter mile other than the Type R. Of course, it'll get crushed everywhere else.
Old May 30, 2018, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
we'll they've all been pretty bad... the steering feel is horrible cause of the maze the steering shaft has to go through with that super wide flat 4, gearing has always been super short and they've always been pretty laggy cause of the super long header, and then fall off quick on the top end cause tiny turbo to try and combat that lag... once driving its easy to stay in boost though

I think the best one is the first one they started selling in the US. I drove a couple briefly when my sister had an 08 STi (second gen they sold in the US) and I was surprised about how much better the previous gen was on all accounts. steering felt better, turn in was better, engine was more responsive... and the older ones were stock and my sister's had a few mods that I thought made a huge improvement over stock...
I guess that would be a by product of the car being separated from being a factory rally car by many years now?
Old May 31, 2018, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by moparfan
I guess that would be a by product of the car being separated from being a factory rally car by many years now?
how many years has the Evo been separated from the factory rally effort by the time the X came out? it was still good, worlds better than the STi...

I mean I understand what you're saying, but its a lame excuse...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:44 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by warmmilk
how many years has the Evo been separated from the factory rally effort by the time the X came out? it was still good, worlds better than the STi...

I mean I understand what you're saying, but its a lame excuse...

I think it's more about Subaru trying to appeal to a broader market. Anyone can now buy an Sti and be like "ooh rally car" (not really) and then cruise to the grocery store, park with the guys at the local McDonalds, and go to car shows. They still look somewhat aggressive with hella camber and nice wheels.
They are still making/selling them while the "hard core" Evos 1-9 are not, so I'd say it worked.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I think it's more about Subaru trying to appeal to a broader market. Anyone can now buy an Sti and be like "ooh rally car" (not really) and then cruise to the grocery store, park with the guys at the local McDonalds, and go to car shows. They still look somewhat aggressive with hella camber and nice wheels.
They are still making/selling them while the "hard core" Evos 1-9 are not, so I'd say it worked.
As time went on they even made them progressively look more like Evo X's.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 01:57 PM
kaj

As time went on they even made them progressively look more like Evo X's.
It was a good look. About all they could manage with CAFE standards and all. Only so many options.
​​​​​​I wonder if the Evo X was really selling so poorly that it wasn't worth making any more. Especially in comparison to the Sti.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Why are the STI RA times so underwhelming? Motorttend doesn't like clutch drops?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
It was a good look. About all they could manage with CAFE standards and all. Only so many options.
​​​​​​I wonder if the Evo X was really selling so poorly that it wasn't worth making any more. Especially in comparison to the Sti.
just going by what I see in the road, I don't think sti's are selling all that well anymore either... I think it's just that Subaru sells enough other cars to keep the sti flag going (prolly helps)... the wrx sells very well, while the rallyart never really caught on cause it was seen more as suped up lancer rather than detuned evo. Whereas all of Mitsubishi cars sell like crap... and let's face it, would you buy any Mitsubishi in the last 10 years other than the evo?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Why are the STI RA times so underwhelming? Motorttend doesn't like clutch drops?
prolly more likely that the stationary rev limiter is too low... or maybe a slipping clutch... journalists don't have any mechanical sympathy
Old Jun 4, 2018, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Subaru out sold VW, Mercedes, Mazda, BMW, Volvo, Porsche and others in Jan 2017 to Jan 2018, in the USA.

Subaru sold 44,357 cars

Mitsubishi sold 8,480 cars

Mitsubishi sold 678 Lancers
Subaru sold 5,351 Imprezas (not including WRX/STI)
Subaru sold 1,919 WRX/STI

Subaru sold more Crosstreks (9,437) than Mitsubishis 2018 car sales combined (8,480)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...11-by-company/

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...ver-30-percent

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease...-january-sales

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 4, 2018 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: Civic Type R Vs Focus RS Vs STI Type RA Vs Golf R With Lap Times