Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Funny story about me losing $850...Don't be a Jason

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 01:35 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Funny story about me losing $850...Don't be a Jason

I recently lost $850 on a purchase, here on EvoM. I’m not posting this to call anyone out or place blame, but as a reminder to ASK STUPID QUESTIONS when buying something. In this case I asked for part and serial numbers. He said he had nothing because he was about to put it on one his cars, but then it sold; he had thrown everything away. He also said he “saw no serial number or anything”, but I missed the part where he didn’t specifically answer about the part number. Turns out he did have a part number (as seen in the conversation after the part arrived). Now I’m out $850 because he sold me a part that’s only for JDM/EDM cars. Hard lesson learned. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 and I’m sure I’ll get 100 replies with, “you should have….” And “why didn’t you….?”. Yes, I searched for any “scam” threads, etc. Well, what’s done is done and I won’t let hit happen again. I am, admittedly too trusting, especially when it comes to commons sense **** I.E. I wouldn’t buy a burger at McDonalds and think to clarify that they put ketchup, mustard and pickles on the damned thing. I’m not saying the guy intentionally deceived me, but now that he has the money, he’s definitely taking it and running. Unwilling to make it right.

See Jason be excited about fixing his car.

See Jason buy a part

See Jason get burned on a technicality.

Don’t be a Jason.

If you are curious as to my stupidity, here is the conversation, unedited; typos and all. I’m told it’s okay to post the conversation without names but I’m not allowed to comment further.

June 10, 2018 approx 9pm: I receive a message via Facebook that a person in SoCal, with the user name lxxxx, has a Cusco RS rear diff for sale, for $850. I immediately send him a message on Evolutionm.net. **edit how funny would it be if it were this guy that messaged me?? anyway.. .

Me June 10, 2018 9:02pm: Subject heading “Cusco diff”. Do you have paperwork on it? If so ,I'll take it.

xxxxxxx 9:16pm: “Only have what came in the box. Thank you”

Me 9:40pm: “So the instruction pamphlet? Sorry, I’ve been burned a couple times, and $850 is a lot of money. Do you have a way to scan or take a picture os what you have? If so: xxxxxxx at hot mail dot com. I can send payment asap. My diff JUST took a crap on me. This would be perfect timing. Thanks, in advance, Jason.

xxxxxxx 9:47pm: I completely understand.
The only thing i have left is a Japan Cusco sticker that came with it and the wrapping bag it came sealed in. My apologies but i really thought i was going to use this so i didn’t think about keeping everything. I can take any additional pics if you would like but I just added another pic to the post and that’s basically all that’s in the box but again if you would like pics from different angles i could do so.

Thank you.

Me 9:44pm: I gotcha. Are there any part or serial numbers on it? It looks like you've been on a roller coaster with the car. Selling parts.....re-buying them, etc?

xxxxxxx 10:06pm: I dont see any serial #’s or markings that i can see. I’ll send you additional pictures of the bottom and sides to your email. Me and my buddy actually own 4 Evo’s. 3 Evo 8’s and 1 evo 9 and we test a lot of parts on the cars since we aim for 900+ whp on our cars. We were thinking of building a road race Evo since we had an extra shell that we had stitch welded the frame, full cage and carbon fiber panels and roof but we got a great offer on the shell so decided to sell it and focus on the other things for a bit. That’s why I’m usually posting items that we’ve changed out for sale for what we hope are fair prices.

xxxxxxx 10:10pm: Sent 3 pics to your Hotmail email.
Thank you.

**edit: I’m not sure how he was able to send me pictures. Maybe I’ve bought/sold from him before or it’s listed on EvoM somewhere? Just clarifying to show I haven’t deleted any words from this conversation.

Me 9:56pm: That thing looks complete from bearing to bearing ,yeah?

Me 10:18pm: A few pictures would make me feel warm and fuzzy ,if you don't mind LOL. I'm 99.9% sure I'll take it. LolI be up for another hour.

xxxxxxx 10:31pm: Haha no problem at all...I sent 3 over from my Gmail email. Let me know if you get them and if you would like any more pics. Thank you.

Me 10:39pm: That's fine, thank you. I'm trying to figure out how to PayPal with my credit card without getting raped LOL PayPal address?

xxxxxxx 10:48pm: Yeah its complete. I was pretty pumped about trying it out too. I don’t mind helping a bit on the paypal fee and do $870 shipped and Paypal’d if that helps a bit.

Me 10:56pm: Any help is appreciated. IIRC, they charge me 5% to use a card. Stand by.

Me 10:57pm: I guess I need the address LOL

xxxxxxx 11:01pm: Haha yeah it’s.... xxxx@gmail.com

Me 11:15pm: All sent. I may even make my track day. Woot

xxxxxxx 11:19pm: Got it. Thank you! Whats your shipping information just to confirm i have it correctly. I’ll take it w/ me to work tomorrow and try to get it shipped out to you on my lunch or the latest on Tuesday so hopefully you can make that track day

Me 11:22pm: Jason xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx Fresno CA 93710

559 xxxxxxx

Also left it in the PayPal transaction. Thanks, dude

xxxxxxx 11:28pm: Ok great and no problem at all man. I’ll PM you tracking information as soon as it’s on the way. Thanks again.

Me June 13, 2018, 5:20pm: Sorry to seem ignorant, but I am. LOL. Diff showed up already. BAM! fast. My question is... how does it fit in the car? The picture on box shows what I'd expect, so it can fit in the housing (not that I expect actual pictures on the box, of course).. but, instead, the side where the ring gear goes has a huge bearing that I've never seen before. Am I missing something? We can send pictures via PMs, I guess, so I will post the pictures here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...de-tire-4.html. Thanks, in advance. I'm lost. Jason

Emails sent June 13, 2018:

8:12 pm: Hey brother. This is Kaj from EvoM.net. I was just checking to be sure you sent me the right differential. You said it was for an evolution 8 or nine. When I took it out of the box, the bearing on the ring gear side of the differential is not what fits in my car. Are you sure this is not for an evo 10? Or an eight or nine with AYC? Or And my just ignorant? LOL I assumed it would have bearings such as the example in the box. That would fit in my car. This differential is completely different. Please let me know ASAP, I have an appointment with a shop to set up the diff and an event next week. Thank you in advance! Jason

8:35pm: Hey, dude. I need to send you this differential back. You sent me one for a euro and Japan Evo eight and nine. I do not have active yaw control. Please refund payment as soon as possible and I will ship it out same day.

Thanks, dude. Jason

Louie 10:11pm: Hey man... yes it’s for an Evo 8 and i listed the part # on the post. Which matches what i sent you. That extra bearing i threw in there was just an extra one that i had so i just threw in as extra pieces. But the pics and part # match the post and the pics i sent you which is the part i sent?

(I did a search and found his ad. There is a part number listed in the ad).

Me 10:23pm: it's a diff for a non US Evo. Your pictures don't show the bottom (**edit: not that I would have known it was wrong by seeing it), so.I didn't see it. When I asked if you had a part number, your message says all you had is the box and a sticker, no part number. I can show it to ya. You're in CA and said it was going in a car at the shop, in CA. The ad doesn't mention it being a euro/Japan part. Nobody on Evom sells non US parts. No reason not to.think.it would fit my car. Are you saying you knew it was an AYC diff when.you sent it and you thought I had an AYC car, though I'm in the US? I'm just trying to understanding. I'm not trying to pull a fast one, just letting you know you it's not what we agreed on. It's all boxed up, I only took pictures of it. I'll even eat the return shipping. Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it!

Jason.

So, I guess it’s my bad for missing the part where he didn’t answer me about the part number. No, I didn’t search for the ad, I figured it’s better to just PM the guy and get info directly from him. When we see an ad, we PM for details anyway, so it never occurred to me to backward. I assumed that, since he was in CA and I’m in CA talking on a U.S.-based forum and he was going to use the part in his CA car in his CA shop, that the part would fit my car. To his credit I did search for the ad, after he mentioned it in the email, and the part number is listed. Never in my dreams would I have thought to ask if it were for an AYC car. Like I said, that’s like going to McDonalds and asking, “Hey, did you put ketchup, mustard, and pickles on my burger?”. You just kinda assume.

Don’t be a Jason!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 02:04 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
that sucks. You could try selling it on lancerregister.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Well, that's awful. What sucks more than being ripped off is STILL having a broken car.

So if I understand you correctly, he listed the part number in the original for sale ad, but when you asked for it he said that he didn't know it? In this case, it becomes a question of his character trying to trick you (unless he didn't make that for sale ad and truly didn't know). You bought the part from him because everything he disclosed to you implied that it would work in your car. He now has the advantage because he can claim that the part number was listed and has your funds.

If he is not a criminal type, he will return your money and accept you shipping the diff back to him. The fact that you were willing to eat the return shipping cost should compel him to accept this offer. If he does not, that means he was looking for a way to get rid of the diff and trick someone into buying, then go dark right after.

If he remains dark, the only solution I see is to sell it to the owners of the proper car and then consider not buying any more used parts for a while. Nobody needs that kind of bad luck in their lives. Very sorry this happened to you.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
so what's the pn you got, and what's the pn u need?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 03:25 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
that sucks. You could try selling it on lancerregister.
Already on it, along with a couple other options to re-coup my losses...

Originally Posted by Pal215
Well, that's awful. What sucks more than being ripped off is STILL having a broken car.

So if I understand you correctly, he listed the part number in the original for sale ad, but when you asked for it he said that he didn't know it? In this case, it becomes a question of his character trying to trick you (unless he didn't make that for sale ad and truly didn't know). You bought the part from him because everything he disclosed to you implied that it would work in your car. He now has the advantage because he can claim that the part number was listed and has your funds.

If he is not a criminal type, he will return your money and accept you shipping the diff back to him. The fact that you were willing to eat the return shipping cost should compel him to accept this offer. If he does not, that means he was looking for a way to get rid of the diff and trick someone into buying, then go dark right after.

If he remains dark, the only solution I see is to sell it to the owners of the proper car and then consider not buying any more used parts for a while. Nobody needs that kind of bad luck in their lives. Very sorry this happened to you.
Yeah. I'm bummed. The car still drives, though not great. And I'm kinda afraid to drive it for fear the Weir stuff will cause some kind of random damage. So.. the car sits until this is all squared away. So... yes, his ad lists the part number as an AYC unit. I didn't contact him through the ad; I PMed him directly after being given his name on FaceBook. Yes, when I asked, directly, about the part number, he said he had no serial number or other markings (he kinda skipped over the part number part of the question). He also said he planned to use it in his car. So he has an Evo VII that he didn't mention?? I kinda have a feeling he's relieved to be rid of a useless part, as he has not returned any messages or emails other than the one I posted above. Thanks for the kind words. The only bright side is this went on a credit card, so I'm not out $850 cash; that would hurt considerably more.

Originally Posted by kyoo
so what's the pn you got, and what's the pn u need?
His part number is CUS LSD 448 L15 the one I would use is CUS LSD 141 L15
Old Jun 14, 2018, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Already on it, along with a couple other options to re-coup my losses...

Yeah. I'm bummed. The car still drives, though not great. And I'm kinda afraid to drive it for fear the Weir stuff will cause some kind of random damage. So.. the car sits until this is all squared away. So... yes, his ad lists the part number as an AYC unit. I didn't contact him through the ad; I PMed him directly after being given his name on FaceBook. Yes, when I asked, directly, about the part number, he said he had no serial number or other markings (he kinda skipped over the part number part of the question). He also said he planned to use it in his car. So he has an Evo VII that he didn't mention?? I kinda have a feeling he's relieved to be rid of a useless part, as he has not returned any messages or emails other than the one I posted above. Thanks for the kind words. The only bright side is this went on a credit card, so I'm not out $850 cash; that would hurt considerably more.

His part number is CUS LSD 448 L15 the one I would use is CUS LSD 141 L15
ahh - yep that one sounds familiar. sorry bud hope it works out.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jun 14, 2018)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I had a guy on here sell me a pair of lights recently and one of them was damaged. He didn't reply to my email or PM, so I just opened a case up with PayPal. He was quick to reply then. And we came to an agreement that we were both satisfied with. I'd open up a case with PayPal. You should be able to return the item on your dime and get all your money back. Or you could also call your credit card company. Do whatever you wish though!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 07:42 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kpt6
I had a guy on here sell me a pair of lights recently and one of them was damaged. He didn't reply to my email or PM, so I just opened a case up with PayPal. He was quick to reply then. And we came to an agreement that we were both satisfied with. I'd open up a case with PayPal. You should be able to return the item on your dime and get all your money back. Or you could also call your credit card company. Do whatever you wish though!
Good advice. Way ahead of ya ,dude. Great minds minds alike.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

I've been burned making incorrect purchases before, with buyers declining to buy back. don't want to disagree here, but IMO there's an implicit agreement for forum buying and selling that all sales are final and buyers must beware.

it's a little odd though, the 141 L15 is also what the evo X, with AYC, can use in its rear differential. odd that this unit is different somehow
Old Jun 15, 2018, 06:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I've been burned making incorrect purchases before, with buyers declining to buy back. don't want to disagree here, but IMO there's an implicit agreement for forum buying and selling that all sales are final and buyers must beware.

it's a little odd though, the 141 L15 is also what the evo X, with AYC, can use in its rear differential. odd that this unit is different somehow
IMO, it's also on the seller to know what they're selling. Anyone with some integrity would buy the part back.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:47 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Seller clearly knew what he was doing being vague in the listing about the application. I think its likely he either made a mistake or was tricked himself and is trying to minimize his own losses. Just a guess. Not like there is anything usual about that at all though. Think of all the people who sell their used cars and omit details. The whole "back to stock" phenomenon is a pretty clear example of this. They might not straight lie to you if you ask them "Did this car have an aftermarket turbo" but they aren't putting it in the ad.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 15, 2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
IMO, it's also on the seller to know what they're selling. Anyone with some integrity would buy the part back.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/749225

the part number is listed (cusco 448 L15) and googling it leads straight to links about lsds for evo 8/9s with ayc.

Seller clearly knew what he was doing being vague in the listing about the application. I think its likely he either made a mistake or was tricked himself and is trying to minimize his own losses. Just a guess. Not like there is anything usual about that at all though. Think of all the people who sell their used cars and omit details. The whole "back to stock" phenomenon is a pretty clear example of this. They might not straight lie to you if you ask them "Did this car have an aftermarket turbo" but they aren't putting it in the ad.
I'm inclined to agree, I think he knew this didn't work for USDM evo 8/9s.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
since you payed via PayPal, can't you get your money back through them?

either that or time for an AYC rear diff swap?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 06:08 PM
kaj

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/749225

the part number is listed (cusco 448 L15) and googling it leads straight to links about lsds for evo 8/9s with ayc.

I'm inclined to agree, I think he knew this didn't work for USDM evo 8/9s.
like I said, his ad listed the part number. Had he referred me to his ad or answered my question fully, I obviously would have looked up the part number and not bought it.
Yes "buyer beware" but, like Sean says, a buyer has a certain responsibility to disclose what he's selling.

Originally Posted by warmmilk
since you payed via PayPal, can't you get your money back through them?

either that or time for an AYC rear diff swap?
Claim filed, my credit card company is also involved. Best part is, he's in SoCal. I've flown to Detroit to win a small claims suit, you know I'll drive three hours. courts aren't restricted by established policy and procedure ,so I'm more confident found that route. Plus ,I'm lucky: I have friends that give me free advice. Woot.
as for using an AYC rear housing....I may if I knew my axles and my $1,000 driveline would fit. The idea of spending a ton more money doesn't set well with me ,though.

Seller clearly knew what he was doing being vague in the listing about the application. I think its likely he either made a mistake or was tricked himself and is trying to minimize his own losses.
judging by his messages, ad, and listing price, that is my guess.

And to think ,this **** storm all started with buying Weir diff plates.
​​​​​​​LOL **** me.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
You can also ask a mod to check if the post was modified and the part number added later... I mean idk how much trouble this guy went through, but it's possible he went and added the part number after the sale

Quick Reply: Funny story about me losing $850...Don't be a Jason