Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Transitioning from a subaru wrx to an evo

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transitioning from a subaru wrx to an evo

Hey all,

first time posting on this forum. I am interested in buying an evo. Specifically an 8 or 9. I love the look and want to own the legendary 4g63. I currently am leasing a brand new wrx and it is a very fun car to drive but I want more out of my daily. Currently I am working on transferring my lease to another person.

I guess my question is. Have any of you transitioned from subaru over to Mitsubishi and what was that like for you? Did you never look back or did you miss your wrx/sti so much that you bought another one?

thanks...just looking for some friendly conversation.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I didn't switch, but my sister had an STi (08 hatchback version) and now has a '17 WRX and I had an Evo X.

anything driving, the Evo does better... well anything other than highway cruising. Also, since you're going to 8/9, keep in mind those don't have cruise control. Everything from power to powerband, to steering feel, to throttle response, to handling is better on the Evo. They're about the same in terms of braking as they basically have the same brakes. If you're coming from a new WRX, a big item you'll feel right away is how the engine behaves. I don't know what it is about the FA20, but it just always feels slow for the amount of power it actually makes... either NA in the 86 or turbo'd in the WRX, even with tune and bolt ons, it just feels like it has asthma or something...

general build quality, when new I'd say they're about the same. most Evo 8/9's these days are pretty ratty... if you find a nice one, expect to pay a premium for it. I don't really know how WRX/STi of the same vintage fairs as I haven't really paid attention to them. In my opinion, the Subaru's have a nicer interior layout, but quality is roughly the same. its still hard plastics everywhere for both options

but going from a new WRX to an Evo 8/9... interior is gonna be a big step down mostly cause of age. I mean they're both hard plastics, but the the newest 9 is 12 years old...
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Aug 28, 2018)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:12 PM

Great perspective. I am noticing the nice 8/9s are getting pricey but still worth it in my opinion.

No cruise control is fine. I owned a 99 Impreza rs before the new wrx and I didn't mind the dated interior. Honestly the wrx is getting boring to drive. It handles well but the power is lacking like you said.

How do evos do in the snow? I would try to drive a different car during snow storms but there may be days that I will have to take it out. I live in Colorado.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
An Evo will do just fine in snow. Lots of guys here driving their Evos in snow. Good snow tires will help a lot as well, vs. all seasons or summer tires.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
same or better than your wrx, since wrx has open diff's and all. either way depends more on your tires than anything else. a fwd car on snow tires will do better in the snow than any awd car on all seasons...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kpt6
An Evo will do just fine in snow. Lots of guys here driving their Evos in snow. Good snow tires will help a lot as well, vs. all seasons or summer tires.
Do you ever take yours up to the mountains when there's snow on the ground? I like to snowboard but most days I will be taking my wife's honda crv.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankisrock
Do you ever take yours up to the mountains when there's snow on the ground? I like to snowboard but most days I will be taking my wife's honda crv.
No, I am in AZ. Not much snow here!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by kpt6
No, I am in AZ. Not much snow here!
I used to live near Sedona. Only snowed here and there during the few years I was there.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk
same or better than your wrx, since wrx has open diff's and all. either way depends more on your tires than anything else. a fwd car on snow tires will do better in the snow than any awd car on all seasons...
right...the stock tires on the wrx were like ice skates if there was any moisture on the ground.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Some pics of Evo 8/9's in the snow. Note the roof racks

Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankisrock
I used to live near Sedona. Only snowed here and there during the few years I was there.
Nice - Sedona is a beautiful place!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove my evo 9 for a couple years in the snow belt of PA. Amazing with snow tires, but it is really comes down to how other drivers can/can't drive in the snow. Just like in other weather conditions, know your limits and surroundings.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Evos are perfect for Colorado! If you are on Facebook, there are a couple Colorado Evo pages. (CECC and Evo Club of Colorado). You can get more info there,see cars for sale, parts, etc.
Evos in snow are pure bliss! Throw snow tires on it and you can get anywhere!

Old Aug 28, 2018, 09:39 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Owned an Evo, sold it. Bought a WRX because I thought it would be "good enough". Sold it 6mos later and bought another Evo.
If you say things like "stage" and "protune", you'll forever be considered a Subaru guy, though.

Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
I had a '13 STI Limited Edition for a couple years before making the switch to my Evo 9 MR SE. It was a great car but I do not miss it one bit after experiencing the Evo. Literally the only thing the STI/WRX has going for it vs. the Evo is interior quality, and this is just barely better than the Evo. I think the recaro seats in the Evo make up for the slightly lower quality interior. Interior becomes even less of a factor when talking about an Evo 9 with the SE package (all black interior, red stitched recaros).

Search this Thread