Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

need car selling advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
need car selling advice

I have never privately sold a car, only traded in at dealer. But I am thinking of selling my Evo. I got the feeling that this is a highly desired car, and therefore would like to do a private sale to maximize what I get for it. Can anyone give advice on how to conduct this transaction safely and securely? I have several worries:
  • buyer comes and just takes car for a joy ride with no intention of buying, in the process trashing the car.
  • Buyer goes for a "test drive" and never comes back.
  • Buyer wants to take car to his mechanic, for an evaluation, meaning it leaves my possession and my sight for several days.
  • Buyer gives me a check and it bounces.

What I do know about the sale process is that once I sign the back of the title, I no longer own it. Would appreciate any advice on how to address the above worries from people who have privately sold or purchased a high-value car!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Post no test drives without a deposit or check/cash in hand

Never give a yes drive without yourself in the car, why would you do that ?

Have him carry a mechanic or if you want go to a mechanic with him but never leave your car

Make sure its a managers cheque and handle the transaction at your bank, don't sign until Bank tells you its good.

Thats what i would do, in terms of all your questions.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by huzzle101
Post no test drives without a deposit or check/cash in hand

Never give a yes drive without yourself in the car, why would you do that ?

Have him carry a mechanic or if you want go to a mechanic with him but never leave your car

Make sure its a managers cheque and handle the transaction at your bank, don't sign until Bank tells you its good.

Thats what i would do, in terms of all your questions.
Thanks! So how much should the deposit be for? The full amount?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I guess around 15-20% of the purchase cost.
The following users liked this post:
fanbelted (Aug 8, 2018)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
what huzzle said except maybe the deposit part. typically you can figure out if its a serious buyer or not by how they're behaving. make sure they actually have the funds to buy your car, save the test drive for last, saying if the drive goes the way its expected for the car your selling (don't expect bugatti refinement out of an evo) when the buyer test drives, they buy the car. definitely go with them on the test drive. up front you can give them a ride so they know what they're getting into.

also depends on the car... if you're talking about selling your evo, then your hesitation is warranted, but if you're selling a commuter or whatever other "normal" car that doesn't attract joy riders, I wouldn't hesitate letting them drive it after meeting up and them just looking at the car. but definitely still go with them. don't ever let anyone take your car for any reason without you till you have the money and its been verified like huzzle said above.
The following 2 users liked this post by WarmMilk:
fanbelted (Aug 10, 2018), JDZNate (Aug 10, 2018)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive the car to the mechanic of his choice. As long as hes paying the mechanic all you are doing is investing time.

Selling a car takes patience as much as buying one.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
One thing that is wise to do is for people you don't know much about - meet them with your car at a fire station or police department when you have them check it out, etc.