Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Buyers from other countries, but shipping local?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:15 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Buyers from other countries, but shipping local?

So, I'm trying to sell a part that works on non-U.S. cars. I have it listed stupid cheap because shipping/tarrifs/fees/taxes to other countries is ridiculous. I had a guy pay using PayPal. PP shows he's in Kenya, as does his profile here, but he wants it shipped to SoCal, where he says he is and has a JDM Evo. I just got a PM with an offer from another guy asking to ship to Illinois, but his info shows he lives in Bucharest, Romania.
Are there any known shady things going on before I ship out this part then have someone immediately file a PayPal claim to get their money back...? Or am I just being paranoid.
I've been burned enough times that I just have a weird feeling.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I remember when someone sold this part to you, sorry you are still dealing with it

I have shipped items through paypal to addresses that differ from what the buyer has on their account. I just check to make sure that the balance they sent me is clear and that I can withdraw it from my paypal account. After that I ship it. It really becomes the discretion of the buyer whether or not to screw me over with a claim with paypal for whatever reason (missing package, wrong item, or a lie to get money back and an item for free).

I'm sure if paypal looks at the transaction and you show them a shipping label with tracking info, the burden of delivery starts to fall on the shipping company. Bottom line is, if the buyer received the product and it is as exactly as described they have no reason to file a claim other than to waste everyone's time.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:54 AM
kaj

Yeah, everything cleared okay. None of these people have given me a reason not to trust them, I'm just basing it all on past experience LOL
I figure, even if they did live out of country, they could probably have somebody they know here ship it to them on the down low and save them a whole bunch of money in fees ,or something.
I just would've felt silly had I not posted the question and then later somebody tell me "oh yeah. this is a scam that's been going on forever how did you not know? " LOL
Old Nov 21, 2018, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah, everything cleared okay. None of these people have given me a reason not to trust them, I'm just basing it all on past experience LOL
I figure, even if they did live out of country, they could probably have somebody they know here ship it to them on the down low and save them a whole bunch of money in fees ,or something.
I just would've felt silly had I not posted the question and then later somebody tell me "oh yeah. this is a scam that's been going on forever how did you not know? " LOL

Yeah, better safe than sorry. I've had people ask me to ship parts to their family members in the states even though they live abroad. I've experienced most scams on Craigslist. Always with a strange number and they ask about the product in a very generic manner so that they can use the same text for multiple ads. You never know what you'll find out there.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Nov 21, 2018)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I do the same. Please do travel nowadays
Old Nov 21, 2018, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
If Im not mistaken if one was to make a claim, paypal looks at the address a package was sent to the address on file in paypal. If there is a miss-match you might automatically lose on the claim.

It could be a legitimate honest buyer or someone shady. Its difficult to determine buyer status but if they are verified by paypal and have a good itrader rating it helps a little.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 05:07 PM
kaj

That would be awesome and par for the course, for me. All our conversions are via email and PM, so it's saved. But you never know...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Ukraine and buying goods in USA using delivery company. After register I have 2 addresses of their warehouses in USA on my name, that company resend goods directly to me.
The following users liked this post:
zeRep85RA (Nov 29, 2018)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by zagorych
I live in Ukraine and buying goods in USA using delivery company. After register I have 2 addresses of their warehouses in USA on my name, that company resend goods directly to me.
I kinda figure that would save a ton of money of if you buy often
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:46 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Or- they could say they live in another country, to obfuscate their location and distract thieves.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
If Im not mistaken if one was to make a claim, paypal looks at the address a package was sent to the address on file in paypal. If there is a miss-match you might automatically lose on the claim.

It could be a legitimate honest buyer or someone shady. Its difficult to determine buyer status but if they are verified by paypal and have a good itrader rating it helps a little.
https://thetechieguy.com/5-paypal-sc...d-be-aware-of/
Old Nov 25, 2018, 08:24 PM
kaj

That's kinda what I was thinking when I made this post, but shipped it out before knowing out was a thing.

The part is largely useless to anyone in the US, so unless they can get forwarded out of the country...

Last edited by kaj; Nov 26, 2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Umm dude, this is a classic scam that has been around for over a decade. Three scenarios:

1) you click a link in an email that looks like Paypal, scammer gets ahold of your password when you try to log in.

OR

2A) buyer sends a "payment" via Paypal (you get an email that says money received, but it's fake and from a PayPal lookalike). They will then ask you to pay the agent the overage that the buyer included in the "payment". You send the money to the "agent" via Western Union and it's gone for good.

2B) same as 2A) but you send the part after receiving a fake payment instead of sending money to an agent.

OR

3) Charge-back, saying the part was wrong, damaged, or not sent at all. They return you some other crap that wasn't what you sent.

This should be common knowledge by this point.

Last edited by RS200; Nov 29, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by RS200
Umm dude, this is a classic scam that has been around for over a decade. Three scenarios:

1) you click a link in an email that looks like Paypal, scammer gets ahold of your password when you try to log in.

OR

2A) buyer sends a "payment" via Paypal (you get an email that says money received, but it's fake and from a PayPal lookalike). They will then ask you to pay the agent the overage that the buyer included in the "payment". You send the money to the "agent" via Western Union and it's gone for good.

2B) same as 2A) but you send the part after receiving a fake payment instead of sending money to an agent.

OR

3) Charge-back, saying the part was wrong, damaged, or not sent at all. They return you some other crap that wasn't what you sent.

This should be common knowledge by this point.
It is, but none of that applies to what I posted.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
So, I'm trying to sell a part that works on non-U.S. cars. I have it listed stupid cheap because shipping/tarrifs/fees/taxes to other countries is ridiculous. I had a guy pay using PayPal. PP shows he's in Kenya, as does his profile here, but he wants it shipped to SoCal, where he says he is and has a JDM Evo. I just got a PM with an offer from another guy asking to ship to Illinois, but his info shows he lives in Bucharest, Romania.

Are there any known shady things going on before I ship out this part then have someone immediately file a PayPal claim to get their money back...? Or am I just being paranoid.
I've been burned enough times that I just have a weird feeling
Originally Posted by kaj
It is, but none of that applies to what I posted.
I mean. I have some super nice ocean front property near Groom Lake, NV if you're interested in that as well...