Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Supra Specs and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The 4b11 was certainly a move for emissions, as well as better performance. Rear mounted turbo puts the cat closer to the turbo outlet, means the cat lights off faster. The cylinder head (stock) has very small exhaust ports, which run higher EGT's than the 4g, again, to light the cat faster. Stock for stock the 4b11 head outflows the 4g head. Dual MIVEC is used as EGR and/or simply letting the air flow through the cylinder instead of staying in the cylinder, again for emissions. Obviously it can also be used for performance gain. The all aluminum construction is lighter. The 4b11 comes with a much better factory intake manifold.

The biggest thing you're missing is probably the position of the cat relative the turbo outlet/exhaust ports. Since ~2005-2008, OEM's have been getting the cat as close to the exhaust outlet of the engine as possible. Look at even the first VW 2.0T's, the cat is literally 4" past the turbine wheel...lol
Originally Posted by kaj
My Civic's cat is pretty much party of the exh manifold.
not turbo..but same concept.

That's true, I haven't thought of that! Pop the hood of an older civic, the cat and primary o2 sensor are right there dead center.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 04:16 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
That's true, I haven't thought of that! Pop the hood of an older civic, the cat and primary o2 sensor are right there dead center.
It's awesome ,as long as the mani doesn't crack, etc LOL
Old Jan 16, 2019, 04:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
My Civic's cat is pretty much part of the exh manifold.
not turbo..but same concept.
Yeah, the cat's being really as close as possible to exhaust ports or turbo outlet started to meet Cali emissions requirements.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...der-us-market/

Just some more info if you haven’t seen yet. If you don’t feel like reading it basically says the the US won’t see the 4 cylinder.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...der-us-market/

Just some more info if you haven’t seen yet. If you don’t feel like reading it basically says the the US won’t see the 4 cylinder.
do other markets get a manual transmission?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
do other markets get a manual transmission?
They don’t say. They do say that if people are looking for a 4 cylinder they all ready have the Z4. Or if they believe there’s a big enough demand it could happen.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
jalop's well done deep dive on the toyota z4

https://jalopnik.com/what-we-found-w...sup-1831800550
Old Jan 17, 2019, 04:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
If a Charger can be a sedan, an FRS a BRZ, a Dart a ???, a Mighty Max a Dodge Ram 50, then a Supra can be a BMW
Old Jan 17, 2019, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
jalop's well done deep dive on the toyota z4

https://jalopnik.com/what-we-found-w...sup-1831800550
one thing I've always liked about BMW's is they always put that brake cooling duct in there. sure its not directly feeding the rotor, but it helps. and they did the hard part if you wanna add some flex hose and feed it directly to the rotor.

2 more downsides, its a McCrap strut unlike the MKIV double wishbone... and tire fitment is tight... doesn't look like there's much more room for bigger tires
Old Jan 17, 2019, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

i need to check, i dont think my e92 has those. it is mcstrut, but bmw has done good things with their front mcstrut setups - i dont think it will be a problem there.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

I mean yes there are better and worse McStrut setups, and BMW is one of the better ones. But double wishbone is still better mostly due to camber gain under compression. that and you the turning axis of the wheel isn't directly on the most loaded part of the suspension.

E92 is a McStrut setup.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I mean yes there are better and worse McStrut setups, and BMW is one of the better ones. But double wishbone is still better mostly due to camber gain under compression. that and you the turning axis of the wheel isn't directly on the most loaded part of the suspension.

E92 is a McStrut setup.
i meant the brake ducts, sorry that wasn't clear at all lol. e92 doesn't have brake ducts, it has mcstruts yes. but the front grip difference between the e46 and the e92 is substantial. it may be related to how they do the ball joints or connection points or whatever. bmws also use a ****ton of caster to make up for it. anyway the gap with current day mcstruts vs more complex, heavier double wishbones of old is not that big
Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Double wishbone may be better but it is way more complex to setup and get the geometry right. It's also a lot more picky when it comes to messing with ride height vs roll centers. Both have their pros and cons.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
i meant the brake ducts, sorry that wasn't clear at all lol. e92 doesn't have brake ducts, it has mcstruts yes. but the front grip difference between the e46 and the e92 is substantial. it may be related to how they do the ball joints or connection points or whatever. bmws also use a ****ton of caster to make up for it. anyway the gap with current day mcstruts vs more complex, heavier double wishbones of old is not that big

​​​​​​​really? my e90 328i had brake ducts... but it did have the sport package so maybe thats what adds the brake ducts.

no matter what you do, you can't make a McStrut car gain camber. The improvement they have seen is that they're better designed now to not lose camber, but they still don't gain camber. I mean don't get me wrong, its not the end of the world, plenty of McStrut cars handle well. just pointing out that the old car had a better front sysension design. with with todays aluminum control arms and the fact that shocks are a lot lighter than struts cause they're not a structural member, weight difference is minimal. having the space for a double wishbone setup is the biggest issue. well that and it costs more since you need one more control arm and another mounting point on the chassis/subframe to reinforce.

Last edited by WarmMilk; Jan 17, 2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Double wishbone may be better but it is way more complex to setup and get the geometry right. It's also a lot more picky when it comes to messing with ride height vs roll centers. Both have their pros and cons.
everything about this statement is false. one can argue that a good mcstrut setup is harder to setup/design to keep it from losing camber on compression like a cheap/crap mcstrut design. a cheap/crap is easy, but its crap... and the exact opposite is true about which setup is more picky about ride height and roll centers. On top of that, McStrut setups are a lot more sensitive to scrub radius changes

like I said above, the only cons of a double wishbone setup is costs and space.

Quick Reply: New Supra Specs and Pricing