Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

CTR, Golf R, STI, EVO - Can I pick your Brain?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 06:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

Totally agree. I have no intention to mod it yet. There aren’t any Bryans or Jons tuning the US CTR at this time. Though I did find a great guy in the UK, that’s not helping me too much across the pond.
We're so spoiled, when it comes to tuning Evos. I forget what it's like tuning other cars. It's not always easy.
The following users liked this post:
Noize (Feb 2, 2019)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Old Feb 8, 2019, 09:33 AM
kaj

That's a long video. I'll have to peep it later.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 05:21 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
That torque curve sucks for a FWD car. It is the opposite of what you’d want, an unfortunate reality of tuning a smallish turbo.

The car is super balanced from from the factory to be good on track, but stock is in the upper reaches of what a FWD can do. This tune spoils all of that and relegates it to being a tire spinning highway roller requiring tiptoe throttle modulation in lower gears.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:41 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Noize

That torque curve sucks for a FWD car. It is the opposite of what you’d want, an unfortunate reality of tuning a smallish turbo.

The car is super balanced from from the factory to be good on track, but stock is in the upper reaches of what a FWD can do. This tune spoils all of that and relegates it to being a tire spinning highway roller requiring tiptoe throttle modulation in lower gears.
That is my reply to all the people saying how the car is mostly maxed out, needs mods to make more power, etc. It's not a drag car, it's not a freeway roll racer.. it's a car built for the road course. You don't need eleventy billion WHP out of this thing. If they do, then what? Tune it for boost-by-gear to eliminate tire spin which would probably put the car right back to where it is? Or drive it around on drag radials?
But, have friends that require their cars to ALL have 500whp, no matter what it is. So, I get it Another friend took an Integra Type R, put a Fiberglass front end/tubed/gutted/big turbo to build an 8sec drag car. People also take Evos and do the big turbo thing to drag race them. So, you are always going to get people taking cars that are great at what they do and turn them into something else. Back in '03, I tossed a turbo on an Acura Integra so I could try to run 11s on drag radials. I'm no stranger to doing weird things
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121696_honda-civic-type-r-production-moving-to-north-america-as-uk-plant-closes

Old Apr 25, 2019, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All right team. Update. In the forums I posted for advice not many people suggested the choice I have currently made but a lot of people did say to follow my heart. Ever since the EVO came out to the US, 2003 I believe as the Evo 8, I was in love. At about the same time the WRX came out as well and they were both stuck in my mind, that some day I would own either. The EVO ultimately took my heart but the Subby was still close by. Anyhow, I looked at the Civic Type R ALOT, but at the moment I am not willing to deal with mark-ups or the lack of opportunities to get the spec I desire.

So, I placed an order for a Lapis Blue STI about a month ago. The discounts I got are pretty sweet. I plan to attend a local Cars and Coffee this weekend, maybe the car culture there may change my mind, but at the moment, this is it. Also, not sure if I will be financially sound by this December, but I still plan to get an EVO sometime, something I could build slowly and make it a weekend cruiser. (I baby cars, not planning on tracking or racing or anything, just in case a cruiser does not seem logical to some. More like a racer looking cruiser I guessj)

Thank you all for your inputs, wish you all the best.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 05:18 PM
kaj

An STi is a great car for daily driving and not racing. I'm sure you be super happy with it. Congrats!
GTS.Puerto Rico (Apr 25, 2019)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 06:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
An STi is a great car for daily driving and not racing. I'm sure you be super happy with it. Congrats!
with me having owned and Evo and my sister owned an STi at the same time... I gotta agree with that statement.
GTS.Puerto Rico (Apr 25, 2019)
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Absolutely insane there's still ADMs on the Type R. The used ones are sitting around my way cause they're pretty much charging MSRP and above on Rs that have like 10k mi or more. Good for you not willing to give into dealer greed. No reason why people should be paying above the MSRP at this point especially since they're going to be around for another year or so.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:38 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by jayevo23
Absolutely insane there's still ADMs on the Type R. The used ones are sitting around my way cause they're pretty much charging MSRP and above on Rs that have like 10k mi or more. Good for you not willing to give into dealer greed. No reason why people should be paying above the MSRP at this point especially since they're going to be around for another year or so.
Longer than that. They start building in the U.S. In 2020 or 2021 and getting a face lift for '20. There's gonna be plenty.
Mark ups are retarded. They'll figure it out soon.
jayevo23 (Apr 27, 2019)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GTS.Puerto Rico
Hello Team, I have been an EvoM member since 2007 when I bought my Lancer GTS. I am finally in a place in my life, 38y old me, that I can get into the debt of owning a performance car. I know we all have our opinions on what we like, but I really want the opinion of as many people as possible in this forum just because I value what a lot of you say here. Car needs to be a sedan, as I value being able to sit 4.

So, here are the cars I am thinking of purchasing, only 1 of course, in the order right now of what I would purchase:
1. Civic Type R: Originally the looks were a turn off, but lately, I have grown to like it, Sonic Gray looks soooo sweet and I dislike Gray cars overall. It is first because I have read so many great things about its performance, plus I think it should be a good daily driver. Only downside is I live in Dayton and not sure how this performance car can handle the winter without the proper tires, comes with Summer out of the box.
2. Golf R: I have read a lot of good things as well, probably the best daily of them because of its drivability (comfort). Read that upgrading to Stage 1 is all you need to make it a very fast car. Turn off on this one, I really DO NOT LIKE how it looks and I have read the AWD is not as elaborate as the EVO or the STI.
3. STI: I know the EJ engine stuff and I agree with most of its negativity, but, just like the EVO, this car has always had a place in my heart, so it is very hard just to ignore it. Love the looks and performance is not bad.
4. Used EVO X. The love of my life in this segment. Still look around every day to see what there is in the market. I will not consider one with more than 15K miles, so the availability of such is that much harder. Love the looks, love the performance, the car I wish I had many years ago. Only turn off, it is old, tech wise, when considering the 2019 Type R and Golf R.

Others I would consider, they are currently over my budget though, used Lexus GSF, used Cadillac ATS-V.

Let me know what you guys think, anything, I just want to "pick" as many brains as possible. Recommendations welcomed. I asked my 2 closest friends and they both said the Golf R. (yikes, it is so ugly)

Moderators, not that I have to tell you, but feel free to move if this is not the place to post this stuff and pardon the inconvenience.

Thank you.
I wouldn't buy any of those. I'd get the facelift 2016 AMG A45 instead, but not sure if it's within your budget. I think its the best of the modern performance hatch, the best look, the most powerful, the most prestigious and maybe the one that would retain value the best. The reason I don't like the others:
1. CTR is too ricer boyish look especially this latest FK8R, and its still a FWD even though it's a damn good FWD.
2. Golf R is a good car but it's a VW where reliability is questionable, and the look is just too boring.
3. STI, the closest thing but no cigars. If can have Evo why get STI? The look is decent and better than previous ones but still not as pretty as CT9A Evos.
4. Evo X, my least favorite of all Evos coz it's too bulky and heavy like a d-segment size and not as sharp as previous 4G63T Evos, just doesn't look sleek and only 5 speed for the manual version (to me Evos should be driven in manual not SST).
But if I were forced to choose any of the 4 above, I'd probably go with the STI coz it's the closest thing to an Evo.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
I wouldn't buy any of those. I'd get the facelift 2016 AMG A45 instead,
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
Golf R is a good car but it's a VW where reliability is questionable
The irony of suggesting a Mercedes over a VW because of reliability concerns.

LMAO
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:17 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab

LMAO
I could be wrong... but I could swear anyone I've known with a Mercedes has had problems right around the 2-3yr mark. It's almost like they are built to be great during the lease term then just fall apart.
The last one was my good friend: a turbo died on him. Mercedes ended up having to replace the full engine/turbo/etc. On the bright side, he did get a loaner and the car was done in a week.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab

LMAO
Originally Posted by kaj
I could be wrong... but I could swear anyone I've known with a Mercedes has had problems right around the 2-3yr mark. It's almost like they are built to be great during the lease term then just fall apart.
The last one was my good friend: a turbo died on him. Mercedes ended up having to replace the full engine/turbo/etc. On the bright side, he did get a loaner and the car was done in a week.
Yeah I know Mercs reliability is also nothing to shout about but at least in Malaysia where I live, the A45 especially the facelifted version so far has not much issues while almost all VW here in Malaysia has horrendous reliability issues until owners did protest demonstration and petition to VW Malaysia! Furthermore the A45 at least looks so much better and way much faster, and as I have mentioned I think will retain value much better too.

Quick Reply: CTR, Golf R, STI, EVO - Can I pick your Brain?