Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

A California Autobahn?!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
A California Autobahn?!

Aren't some sections of highway 5 in the middle of nowhere?

https://jalopnik.com/a-california-bi...-am-1832754745
Old Feb 21, 2019, 01:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will blend in great with current lane habits I suspect . Though I have to admit the last time I traversed a California highway was a few decades ago on a return daytrip Sac to San Fran and less said about that the better, there may some outstanding arrest warrents pending just kidding I drove like a saint.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea, but we should educate those left lane hoggers to move over first. And also, California's roads need some improvement.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
What I noticed in California is, to help with traffic congestion, they repainted the lane markers and converted five lane highways to seven lanes. I don't know if that is what they did, maybe they just like really narrow lanes.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Allowing people to drive faster (given safe and prudent) is a sure way to reduce traffic in the short run. Rush hour traffic is not the total miles traveled in the daily commute, but the total minutes of cars on the road.

I would argue that no speed limits on highways might also make roads safer. Too many people are reading books, doing makeups, or playing cellphone games while commuting. A coworker told me she plays games while driving because driving is so boring. Without the game she will fall asleep. (The epitome of anti-car people.)

In the long run this will have no effect. Faster commutes will incentivize people to move further away from work to the new Marchetti's Wall.