EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   MazdaSpeed 6 -- can it hang with the EVO? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/142231-mazdaspeed-6-can-hang-evo.html)

Cabo Jun 2, 2005 09:40 PM

MazdaSpeed 6 -- can it hang with the EVO?

Has anyone read into these much? It's a nice looking sedan as is, and with the 2.3L AWD turbo powertrin I'm sure it will perform well too. Engine specs (HP/TQ) are right on par with the EVO.

No, I don't expect it to perform as well as the EVO since it probably weighs more and is tuned for comfort. It looks like it's trying to be a bit more civilized. Then again, it has a six speed and Mazdas are known for good handling. You never know...

Any thoughts? Has anyone heard any performance numbers yet?

Cabo

TwoMix9900 Jun 2, 2005 09:51 PM

Mazdas are known for good handling

correct me if im wrong, but didn't mazda only achieve good handling through use of rotary engine to achieve 50/50 weight distribution? i dont think the 6's gonna get rotary..(just assumption)...but then again, we'll never know anything till the damn thing comes out ;)

jansolo Jun 2, 2005 09:56 PM

This is FWD and only AWD at certain times. The car therefore understeers and probably not the best choice for a track car, especially when you consider the weight.

Car and Drivers story on it:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

"The force-fed engine delivers its increased output (114 more horsepower than the naturally aspirated four, 54 more than the 6's optional 3.0-liter V-6) through a slick new Aisin six-speed manual gearbox to Mazda's equally new Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive. It's a computer-automated system, delivering up to 50 percent of the engine's power to the rear wheels contingent on variables such as wheelspin, yaw, and steering angle, with a limited-slip diff up front and an electric clutch at the rear. There's no center diff. The system has three operating modes—normal, sport, and snow—but unfortunately, the computer decides which is appropriate for conditions and driving style. There are no manual preselects."

"Dynamics. Six laps on a racetrack isn't a road test, but a few impressions emerge. First, the defining trait of the Mazdaspeed 6 is understeer. The all-wheel-drive system enhances corner exits, but it's hard to think of this car as nimble."

DrEvo Jun 2, 2005 09:57 PM

I've read just the usual updates on it, it does look nice and civilized. Other than that I am also waiting on some numbers or a Mazda driven speed shop to start tuning one up.

Cabo Jun 2, 2005 10:05 PM

Hmmm...doesn't sound too impressive. Sounds like more of a competitor to the Legacy GT to me.

I think the Legacy GT would be my first choice after reading that quote...

Cabo

3000ways Jun 2, 2005 10:08 PM

^I agree

MYEVOVIII Jun 2, 2005 10:08 PM

For a Mazda it's impressive as far as competition NO it's not in the same class and Mazda doesn't plan on it being in the Evo's catagory either.

Cabo Jun 2, 2005 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by TwoMix9900

correct me if im wrong, but didn't mazda only achieve good handling through use of rotary engine to achieve 50/50 weight distribution? i dont think the 6's gonna get rotary..(just assumption)...but then again, we'll never know anything till the damn thing comes out ;)

Miata, MSP...

Grav Jun 3, 2005 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by TwoMix9900

My Mazda Miata has 50/50 weight distribution, and I can guarantee that's no rotary under the hood. It has an inline 4 cylinder. However they did put the battery in the back of the car to achieve perfect weight balance.

sikbyrd Jun 3, 2005 07:44 AM

it's also a pig at more than 3500lbs i believe

kdogg Jun 3, 2005 07:47 AM

I heard/read Mazda reps mention the Mazdaspeed 6 is aimed for Acura TSX type buyers. Due to turbo, AWD, and similar price range, it's naturally going to be compared to EVO and STI, but it isn't Mazda's intentions.

Diesel Jun 3, 2005 05:21 PM

MazdaSpped 6 hang with the Evo...?

not bloody likely...

BlackLab Jun 3, 2005 05:31 PM

Don't know about the Mazda6, but I also read a short article in one of the ragazines (Car and Driver I think) that Mazda is considering adding the same powertrain to the Mazda3 to make a MazdaSpeed version of that car. I'm sure THAT car would be aimed dead square at the EVO and STi!

Mercenary3 Jun 3, 2005 06:08 PM

Mazda said the car is not going to be tuned for ultimate performance...so its not going to be faster on a track than the evo.

On the other hand...it is still a competitor. People who are considering evos or sti's that might not want such a huge sacrifice in comfort would look at this car. I can see this car selling several thousand copies since it should have similar street performance to the evo/sti, yet be more comfortable and better looking.

Actually, as far as sales go, id say its a better move for mazda than building a straight up evo fighter. Im def not gonna buy one, but it will perk my attention if i see one on the street...

Rez90 Jun 3, 2005 06:13 PM

doubt it.....it's a nice car...but won't have the same performance the EVO does.....