EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Instead of getting a cheaper VIII, would a 330 whp WRX suffice? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/485794-instead-getting-cheaper-viii-would-330-whp-wrx-suffice.html)

boostincincy Apr 11, 2010 01:57 PM

Instead of getting a cheaper VIII, would a 330 whp WRX suffice?

So I have my IX up for sale right now because not only is it very hard for me to afford right now living in Brooklyn, but, I also feel that I don't need to be paying so much for my IX SE to just let it sit in a garage, and I only drive it seldomely.

So I was thinking I'd sell my IX and get an VIII that's a little beat up so that I could just have a fun DD that I can track, but is cheaper, and I wouldn't have to worry so much about it getting dinged up here in NYC.

But I was just offered an 04 WRX plus cash as a trade. And the WRX is putting down 330 whp, with STI suporting mods, and he explains it's flawless, tranny's solid, upgraded clutch, and only 50k.... so now I've really been giving it some thought.

I love evo's because they are, well EVO's.... they're a production track car, and in my opinion, the best machine on the road... but given I've only been out of school a year, and am starting to make money, but I'm in no way "comfortable" yet, so I'm wondering if maybe this wrx will do, or if I'll regret not getting an VIII.

Anyone have any good advice coming from a subie background? I've driven STI's, but never a regular wrx, so I'm not sure if I'd be ok with this car or not, here's the link;

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...dard=false#top

kramerbuccs24 Apr 11, 2010 02:01 PM

Have $4,000 saved for a new motor

CMoney Apr 11, 2010 02:03 PM

I came from a 04 wrx and i love the evo compared to the wrx. The 04 interior looks really out dated unless its an 05 wrx and up. Keep the Evo and refinance for lower montly payment.

Kracka Apr 11, 2010 02:03 PM

My wife has a modded WRX...they're fun to drive but totally different from the experience you get from driving an Evo. The WRX definitely doesn't have that raw performance feel of the VIII and IX.

alloutDSM Apr 11, 2010 02:04 PM

i went from an 03 evo to an 06 sti and i love it!

Kracka Apr 11, 2010 02:06 PM

*edit*
Nevermind, found my answer in the description.

SCREAM8 Apr 11, 2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by kramerbuccs24 (Post 8188155)
Have $4,000 saved for a new motor

and trans since this is a wrx. :p

id look for an evo8 for sure. went from dsms to an sti back to my evo. hanging around the subie crowd worried me. motors are always popping in those things. it wouldnt handle the power i wanted it to so i had no problem looking for a 9. {thumbup}

tchouko Apr 11, 2010 02:10 PM

Don't do it bro...you'll regret it...i have a friend that had a GG IX trade it for STI..sold it in the next 2 days...he was complaining on how slow it was...even with the supported mods...just like dude said up there...save up 4k for a new motor..lol

Besides it would be a downgrade bro...keep the IX or find yourself an VIII

mantosride Apr 11, 2010 02:11 PM

subi motors are famous for having a oil starvation issue which leads to bad connecting rod or rods down the road. i can not tell you how many of these cars i see with bad motors due to this issue.

also i have a friend that has a wrx car makes like 375 and he has been through 4 trannys, most do the 6 speed swap from the STI, which if you look around is like 5k on ebay.

I would stay so far away from those cars, unless you plan on buying one brand new, and even then, who wants a car that sounds so damn funny when running !

VQChris Apr 11, 2010 02:12 PM

I'd pass. Just try to find a clean VIII

kramerbuccs24 Apr 11, 2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by nickcarlson1 (Post 8188175)
and trans since this is a wrx. :p

id look for an evo8 for sure. went from dsms to an sti back to my evo. hanging around the subie crowd worried me. motors are always popping in those things. it wouldnt handle the power i wanted it to so i had no problem looking for a 9. {thumbup}

I thought only the 02-03 WRX trannies were super-weak?

heavens turbo Apr 11, 2010 02:16 PM

if you don't drive the evo anyways, you'll probably not notice the difference. if it makes sense to sell the evo, then do it. theres always gonna be ones for sale. you don't wanna start life in the hole. that's for sure. but yeah, as far as reliability goes, i'm not sure. i know my evo has been bulletproof. (so far). and easier to work on. good luck.

boostincincy Apr 11, 2010 02:16 PM

this is helpful. I've been trying to find an VIII to trade with, but have had no luck as of yet. And no one's biting on my IX yet, other than low ballers of course. 20k for my IX SE w/29k miles, no thanks.

BlaqRex Apr 11, 2010 05:59 PM

Personally, since your not talking about a stock WRX, I'd be a little wary (buy modded vehicles only from people you trust). Honestly I think a WRX with 330 whp is going to be better than any stock VIII you find (even a stage 2 wrx is faster than that), however, when it comes to the awd goodies and suspension, the Evo is going to have it beat in spades (unless the previous owner has had the suspension done too).
In either case, if the guy is cool, and lets you at least "try before you buy" I'd go for it. Since you wouldn't drive it all that often, it's not like wear would be too great an issue. Also: trademark subbie "rumble" is something you'll fall in love with.

blkmkIII Apr 11, 2010 06:08 PM

um the wrx has a stock turbo??????? 330whp?
-3" tbe
-tgv deletes
-intake hardpipe
-equal lenghth headers on a 2005 wrx sti made 330whp...with a great tuner... so i smell some bs.