EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   2010 evo x or 2011 ralliart or 370Z? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/486593-2010-evo-x-2011-ralliart-370z.html)

lancerarmstrong Apr 15, 2010 09:01 AM

2010 evo x or 2011 ralliart or 370Z?

I'm looking into buying a car by the end of this year near sept-dec ish and was torn between the 2010 evo x MR or the 2011 Ralliart. The ralliart for 2011 hasn't been announced yet but I was wondering what you guys all think. What kinds of problems exist with the MR? What kinds of prices in the US are you able to get on the MR? I know that the RA with the TC-SST has problems with the tranny if you try to upgrade the HP at all, does this exist with the evo x MR too? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

tipoytm Apr 15, 2010 09:08 AM

You should really be researching more about both cars (use the search function or browse the subforums here). The RA has its own forum about issues regarding the drivetrain, powertrain, etc. Same with the MR (check SST forum). You'll find all the information you need to know to help you decide. Bottomline, both cars only have a few known/verified issues, mostly caused by improper modding and not paying attention to the limits of the tranny, recalls, etc.

If I were you, I'd pick the MR if you are going to mod the car and bring it to the track. If you are looking for a daily driver with a bit of fun in mind, the RA would be a better choice because it is around $12k-15k cheaper than an MR (depending on options) and it has the Sportback version too if cargo is a plus for you. Check out this thread, one of the highly respected tuners in California just got a new project:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...sportback.html

Good luck.

GiLizILL Apr 15, 2010 09:09 AM

if you want to do any modding power-wise, I'd go with the GSR!

as far as the MR to Ralliart, same tranny the MR is more advanced, quicker and more expensive.

Go for the RA for a good quick DD, and easy on the pocket.
GSR, if you want easy power
MR, if you are just a baller.

migs647 Apr 15, 2010 09:12 AM

Just to clear up... the MR tranny and the Ralliart tranny aren't the same. They can't handle the same power, and the Super Sport Mode (funnest mode) is absent on the ralliart, and the ralliart doesn't have launch control as well.

scorpeus401 Apr 15, 2010 09:17 AM

Depends on what you plan to use the car for. Just daily driving i'd go with ralliart. If you plan to auto-x or track it then go with the GSR or MR. The difference between the ralliart and MR is really night and day. Ralliart still handles pretty well, but nowhere near as well as the MR. If you plan to do heavy modding then go with GSR for more power gains.

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong (Post 8203897)
I'm looking into buying a car by the end of this year near sept-dec ish and was torn between the 2010 evo x MR or the 2011 Ralliart. The ralliart for 2011 hasn't been announced yet but I was wondering what you guys all think. What kinds of problems exist with the MR? What kinds of prices in the US are you able to get on the MR? I know that the RA with the TC-SST has problems with the tranny if you try to upgrade the HP at all, does this exist with the evo x MR too? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

tipoytm Apr 15, 2010 09:20 AM

Oppps I thought the OP meant Evo X MR or Ralliart... if GSR is also an option, it would be the better choice if he wants easy power (as Eeboh pointed out)

migs647 Apr 15, 2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong (Post 8203897)
I know that the RA with the TC-SST has problems with the tranny if you try to upgrade the HP at all, does this exist with the evo x MR too? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

The "limits" so far are all in the torque. 350wtq. The good thing is tuners can keep the torque right at 350 and get the hp higher. There are some MRs in the 450whp range. This is an electronical limit so far. We're all working to get it worked out still.

lancerarmstrong Apr 15, 2010 09:36 AM

All your comments back up my own thoughts about this. I'm not planning on tracking the car at all, but I don't want my daily driver to be a wimp. I can't drive a stick so that's why I didn't have the GSR in there as an option for you all to comment on. I've been researching the forums and it looks like the ralliart transmission starts slipping at 300 ftlbs torque and totally destructs at 350. I'd only choose the MR if I were to get up to 400 hp/torque ish range but that is a huge difference in price to pay. If I went with the RA I'd easily get the recaro sport package which puts me just under 30K.

What kinds of prices did you all pay for your MR if you have the 2010 MR ?

skyblas Apr 15, 2010 09:38 AM

yeah...the development is going gd
if i am not wrong
they are in process of developing a transmission oil cooler for the TC-SST
shouldnt be a problem
just need more time for R&D to come up with supporting mod

migs647 Apr 15, 2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong (Post 8204007)
All your comments back up my own thoughts about this. I'm not planning on tracking the car at all, but I don't want my daily driver to be a wimp. I can't drive a stick so that's why I didn't have the GSR in there as an option for you all to comment on. I've been researching the forums and it looks like the ralliart transmission starts slipping at 300 ftlbs torque and totally destructs at 350. I'd only choose the MR if I were to get up to 400 hp/torque ish range but that is a huge difference in price to pay. If I went with the RA I'd easily get the recaro sport package which puts me just under 30K.

What kinds of prices did you all pay for your MR if you have the 2010 MR ?

Man if you're going to get the Recaro package, you might as well spring for a X MR. You should be able to get one for around 35k. I paid 38k OTD for my 08 (before the 2010s were out), with just about every option available.

There is a HUGE difference between the cars. Suspension, brakes, wheels, turbo, traction control, body paneling, upgrade paths, aftermarket parts. Not to sound snide, but there isn't a comparison here. You either want a hopped up lancer, or you want a rally inspired car.

Originally Posted by skyblas (Post 8204013)
yeah...the development is going gd
if i am not wrong
they are in process of developing a transmission oil cooler for the TC-SST
shouldnt be a problem
just need more time for R&D to come up with supporting mod

There are a ton of aftermarket transmission coolers that do really well. Not sure what you're referring to. We have the supporting mods, just need to crack the TCU for better control.

SLW EVO Apr 15, 2010 09:59 AM

Wait.. is this a joke? If i had the money and was "torn".. i'd go with the X MR for SURE. I mean, it's a good car to drive on a regular basis.. and if you dont buy it, i'm sure you'll have the what if question in your head.. it wont work the other way around (if you buy the MR)

Trans will take time to develop.. there has already been some improvement even in teh short time the car has been out if i'm not mistaken. If you look in the VW forums, they have made improvments to their transmissions so the car can handle more hp.

I do realize cost is a factor.. and if it is, that's a decision only you can make. For most people on this forum.. their car is where ALL of their expendable income goes ;)

SLW EVO Apr 15, 2010 10:01 AM

... and some not expendable income too!

Nauticabri Apr 15, 2010 10:03 AM

If you have the $$ go with the Evo X MR for sure. The difference between the cars is night and day.

BoostFTW05 Apr 15, 2010 10:11 AM

I have to say I'm with everyone else, If you didn't get the MR, every time you see one you will kick yourself I promise.

ralliartblitz Apr 15, 2010 10:35 AM

Went on truecar.com and looked at the averages - which dont include sales tax....

A barebones 2010 MR = $37,738
A barebones 2010 Ralliart = $26,502

You are getting the same transmission for DD purposes.
It has the AWD - but it has a mechanical rear LSD instead of AYC.
It has the same engine but takes a cut in horsepower.
The stock tires on it MUST be replaced.

For me the cheaper option is better - I could put the money towards a pickup. I would rather own a fast car and money towards a pickup than a really fast car and no money towards a pickup. YMMV!

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/a...a-stage-1.html