EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   MY buddy needs help with his subaru! please help! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/522773-my-buddy-needs-help-his-subaru-please-help.html)

Solley Nov 1, 2010 07:38 PM

MY buddy needs help with his subaru! please help!

Hey guys,

yes i can already hear the comments, "should have bought an evo..." lol but hopefully you all can give me some insight to relay to my friend about a problem he is having with his car.

He drive's an 02 WRX bugeye

he recently had all of these parts installed and tuned at a local shop "DK Goodrich" in Frankfort:

FP68HTA turbo
GT Spec up pipe
GT Spec Headers
Tial 38mm EWG
Gimmick motor sport turbo inlet
DW 750cc injectors
Hallman pro Manual Boost Controller
Forge Bypass valve
Perrin Short Ram Intake
NGK vpower plugs gaped at .028

Here is the problem. The tuner was able to tune his car and everything worked out great. however, once tuned, the car now, will die after the engine is started. When the engine is turned on, it will start up, but then will kind of "Hiccup" (almost like it is struggling for fuel) and then die out after about 5 or so seconds. Sometimes the car will stay on for a couple minutes other times, just a few seconds till it cuts out.

the tuner can tune Subaru's but doesnt know where to start to fix one. I was hoping that maybe someone on here would have some insight or suggestions on how to fix the car? any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

my buddy is thinking that some sort of electric connection has come loose or maybe something with the fuel system. any more ideas?

thanks guys!

warstang27 Nov 1, 2010 08:28 PM

sounds like this "tuner" isnt much of a tuner it probably wasnt tuned in the lower rpms/idle cause thats one of the harder parts of the tune. whats is afrs like @ idle/cruise/WOT? thats my best guess

evo<3 Nov 1, 2010 08:35 PM

yeh any insight to afr, what rpms does it idle at, injectors scaled? i mean when he tuned it did it even run? was it a dyno tune or street tune? how long ago? lol more info??

CaseD Nov 1, 2010 08:43 PM

the car in question is my car.

I literally have ZERO information to give you all besides what my tuner has told me. I am going to be going up to look at the car tomorrow, but honestly I dont know what to even look for. Mye bet is a fuel pump issue possibly or a loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness.
I wish i could give insight to what any afrs are, but honestly i have no idea, it was a street tune though. tuned this past weekend he said he didnt start getting any issues until he was mostly done with the tune

n2oiroc Nov 1, 2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by CaseD (Post 8802053)
the car in question is my car.

I literally have ZERO information to give you all besides what my tuner has told me. I am going to be going up to look at the car tomorrow, but honestly I dont know what to even look for. Mye bet is a fuel pump issue possibly or a loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness.
I wish i could give insight to what any afrs are, but honestly i have no idea, it was a street tune though. tuned this past weekend he said he didnt start getting any issues until he was mostly done with the tune

was there a problem before the tune?

CaseD Nov 1, 2010 08:50 PM

none that i was aware of.

Venividivichi00 Nov 1, 2010 11:53 PM

did u try nasioc? they are pretty helpful over there there might be somebody local who could look at it or help u out

n2oiroc Nov 2, 2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by CaseD (Post 8802077)
none that i was aware of.

so the shop messed up the car, doesnt know how to fix it, and is passing it off back to you?

wtf_is_a_evo Nov 2, 2010 07:36 AM

What kind of BOV does it have is it VTA or back into system, my buddies 06 sti has a big idle surge and some times dies randomly. His problem is the tial BOV is VTA and it messes with the maf(or what ever the sensor is called for the subaru owners).

ODUB Nov 2, 2010 07:37 AM

sounds like this should be on NASIOC (worst acronym and website name EVER btw)

savagejay1 Nov 2, 2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB (Post 8802888)
sounds like this should be on NASIOC (worst acronym and website name EVER btw)

+1

They'll be able to help you

But it sounds like the tuner messed up your idle

n2oiroc Nov 2, 2010 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by wtf_is_a_evo (Post 8802878)
What kind of BOV does it have is it VTA or back into system, my buddies 06 sti has a big idle surge and some times dies randomly. His problem is the tial BOV is VTA and it messes with the maf(or what ever the sensor is called for the subaru owners).

thats not the bov doing that.

CaseD Nov 2, 2010 09:57 AM

forge Bypass valve, so its a recirc. I have posted up on NASIOC, but I am not getting any useful replies. I will be going down to the shop today to look the car over, I am just trying to gain a list of things to look over while I am there.

i seriously feel that the car has a loose wire or a cooked fuel pump? but i have no idea?

n2oiroc Nov 2, 2010 10:05 AM

99% chance its tune or install related.

Earthen Nov 2, 2010 10:09 AM

Sounds like timing or big leak. Ask the tuner what he did with the timing.