EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Camaro SS 1LE Verses Mustang GT Performance Pack (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/746368-camaro-ss-1le-verses-mustang-gt-performance-pack.html)

revhappy Jan 29, 2018 07:03 AM

Camaro SS 1LE Verses Mustang GT Performance Pack

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...ck-comparison/

WarmMilk Jan 29, 2018 12:50 PM

I don't understand why did such a sh*t job with this. the SS 1LE is the clear competitor for this Mustang... they car has been available for a while now, so it wasn't a mystery for how fast it had to be to compete... I'm thinking they're taking a page out of Porsche's playbook and protecting the GT350

moparfan Jan 30, 2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 11800849)
I don't understand why did such a sh*t job with this. the SS 1LE is the clear competitor for this Mustang... they car has been available for a while now, so it wasn't a mystery for how fast it had to be to compete... I'm thinking they're taking a page out of Porsche's playbook and protecting the GT350

GM has been taking full advantage of their chassis that the Camaro and Cadillac share. The eLSD also works especially well in this application. I think for the street and mostly legal driving there really isn't much difference except for bragging rights.

The new Mustang engine is very nice with a very high redline for a run-of-the-mill production v8.

WarmMilk Jan 31, 2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan (Post 11801182)
GM has been taking full advantage of their chassis that the Camaro and Cadillac share. The eLSD also works especially well in this application. I think for the street and mostly legal driving there really isn't much difference except for bragging rights.

The new Mustang engine is very nice with a very high redline for a run-of-the-mill production v8.

well these are the respective "track" packages for both cars... I guess most people don't track their cars so it doesn't matter as much, but I track my cars, and I used to had an S197 Mustang so maybe I'm taking it a little personally... but I'd like to see a bit closer competition considering the price... 3.3 seconds is a pretty big difference considering it was the same professional driver in both

LetsGetThisDone Jan 31, 2018 11:30 AM

Yeah, I knew the 1LE was good, Chevy talked about it being as good as the previous Z28. Just a piss poor showing from Ford. Like...damn... 3 seconds at streets of Willow isn't just tires..

moparfan Feb 3, 2018 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 11801320)
well these are the respective "track" packages for both cars... I guess most people don't track their cars so it doesn't matter as much, but I track my cars, and I used to had an S197 Mustang so maybe I'm taking it a little personally... but I'd like to see a bit closer competition considering the price... 3.3 seconds is a pretty big difference considering it was the same professional driver in both

I would say the closer comparable, although probably still short, is Ford's Performance Pack 2 coming out for the Mustang. The PP1 just makes it a decent car.

WarmMilk Feb 5, 2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by moparfan (Post 11802049)
I would say the closer comparable, although probably still short, is Ford's Performance Pack 2 coming out for the Mustang. The PP1 just makes it a decent car.

so this was PP1? whats the difference between this and PP2? and will PP2 be even more expensive? the Mustang is already almost 5k more in the article... as much as I like the mustang, the only way its better here is if you're a fanboi and performance doesn't matter

moparfan Feb 5, 2018 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 11802254)
so this was PP1? whats the difference between this and PP2? and will PP2 be even more expensive? the Mustang is already almost 5k more in the article... as much as I like the mustang, the only way its better here is if you're a fanboi and performance doesn't matter

Yeah, the Mustang in this article was a PP1.

If you can order it, PP2, from a dealer unencumbered I think it ends up around 6-7k more than a base?

"Perf Pack Level 2 is a $6,500 package available only on Mustang GT fastback manual cars. If ordered on a base GT, you must also opt for the $2,000 Equipment Group 301A—dual climate control and Sync 3 AM/FM/CD, and for comparison purposes against Chevy’s full-on $7,000 1LE Track Performance package, you might as well know that Level 2 lacks the 1LE’s head-up display, and Ford charges $895 for its performance exhaust that Chevy throws in."

I admit that the mustang is beat in the track arena, but a ~7500 rpm v8 is lots of fun. I remember way back when I thought my 4AGE MR-2 was a high winding machine.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...t-look-review/

LetsGetThisDone Feb 6, 2018 11:48 AM

pp1 Can't compare to the 1LE, tires alone aren't even close. 30mm narrower all the way around, and much more street oriented compound (Michelin PS4s 255 front, 275 rear). PP2 package will have Pilot sport cup 2's in 305's all the way around. This test was stupid. They should have waited for a PP2 package mustang.

WarmMilk Feb 7, 2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan (Post 11802337)
Yeah, the Mustang in this article was a PP1.

If you can order it, PP2, from a dealer unencumbered I think it ends up around 6-7k more than a base?

"Perf Pack Level 2 is a $6,500 package available only on Mustang GT fastback manual cars. If ordered on a base GT, you must also opt for the $2,000 Equipment Group 301A—dual climate control and Sync 3 AM/FM/CD, and for comparison purposes against Chevy’s full-on $7,000 1LE Track Performance package, you might as well know that Level 2 lacks the 1LE’s head-up display, and Ford charges $895 for its performance exhaust that Chevy throws in."

I admit that the mustang is beat in the track arena, but a ~7500 rpm v8 is lots of fun. I remember way back when I thought my 4AGE MR-2 was a high winding machine.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...t-look-review/

does that replace PP1 or in addition to PP1? from base, so 35 plus 6-7? if so thats reasonable...

moparfan Feb 10, 2018 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 11802606)
does that replace PP1 or in addition to PP1? from base, so 35 plus 6-7? if so thats reasonable...

Both will be available. It's up to the buyer to be able to spec it the way they want, most likely through a order.

Liam Lei Apr 4, 2018 12:22 PM

I am a Challenger Scat Pack owner, and I really really really wanna get a 1le..best manual experience IMO. Yes I have a Evo 9 as well...

moparfan Apr 4, 2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Liam Lei (Post 11814003)
I am a Challenger Scat Pack owner, and I really really really wanna get a 1le..best manual experience IMO. Yes I have a Evo 9 as well...

The 2018+ coyote has dual injection to ease your mind from valve deposits. Next year's manuals will have rev matching. I think rev matching on the Camaros is great - then again, I suck at the ole' hell toe dance.

Dallas J Apr 10, 2018 03:30 PM

I would take the mustang over the camaro in a heartbeat for purely the reason of visibility. Been in and driven both (autoXed the camaro) and really want to like the Camaro better, but I dont.

moparfan Apr 10, 2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 11815262)
I would take the mustang over the camaro in a heartbeat for purely the reason of visibility. Been in and driven both (autoXed the camaro) and really want to like the Camaro better, but I dont.

The 2019 Camaro 2SS has a rear view mirror with a full video view to try to address those concerns.