EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   New Supra Specs and Pricing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/752681-new-supra-specs-pricing.html)

revhappy Jan 14, 2019 08:12 AM

New Supra Specs and Pricing

Looks way overpriced based on paper specs although their advertised 0-60 time seems better than the specs indicate.

2020 Toyota Supra Specs:

Engine:
3.0-liter twin-scroll turbo six
HP / Torque: 335 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque
Wheelbase: 97.2 in.
Overall Length: 172.5 in.
Overall Width: 73.0 in.
Overall Height: 50.9 in.
Track Width Front: 62.8 in.
Track Width Rear: 62.6 in.
Curb Weight: 3,397 lbs.
0-60 mph: 4.1 seconds

U.S. Pricing:

3.0 (base trim): $49,990
3.0 Premium: $53,990
Launch Edition (details): $55,250
*Does not include the delivery, processing, and handling (DPH) fee of $930

Options Pricing:
Driver Assist Package: $1,195 (for all trims)
Navigation and JBL Audio: $2,460 (standard for Premium and Launch Edition trims)

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/off...s-videos.1510/

WarmMilk Jan 14, 2019 10:05 AM

auto only confirmed by jalopnik... I mean I know the car already has a lot of issues to take on the Supra name, but this is the final nail in the coffin. Its gonna fail and then they're gonna be like "we made the supra and it failed, thats why we're only sticking to boring bread and butter cars". its auto only, specifically torque converter auto only, nothing else matters.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota...oes-1831719119

CaptainSquirts Jan 14, 2019 10:12 AM

It'll do fine.

jayevo23 Jan 14, 2019 10:43 AM

With the right marketing it will be successful. The Supra faithful won't be happy, but it seems like Toyota didn't make this car for them.

RS200 Jan 14, 2019 11:09 AM

It's a no from me, dawg.
It looks like they took aim at the Cayman with this. Performance to value favors the Supra, but I don't see it standing a chance anywhere else. The Cayman has Porsche quality and offers one of the best driving experiences. A torque converter only, 3400lb, 335hp Supra can't match it.

Sad to say, but Toyota committee/accounting/corporately ruined this thing and went the opposite way of what enthusiasts wanted, a bit like how the FRS was a disappointing Scion instead of the superlight car they promised. I hope they learn a couple of lessons about building sports cars, especially since the new Nissan Z is probably going to come out and massacre this thing, while being $10,000 cheaper, and with better transmission options.

Pal215 Jan 14, 2019 11:30 AM

I think the tail end looks great, but the front end could use a bit of a face lift. It's very modern, but funky at the same time. If Knuckles from Sonic was to drive a car, it would be this Supra. If it fails, it will be because of not offering it in stick shift. Then some boring executive at Toyota is going to say "See, I told you so!" "Let's go make more prius'."

WarmMilk Jan 14, 2019 12:17 PM

the only thing this will be good for is for pro drifting where they swap in a V8 or a 2JZ and a nascar dog box... or for the guy that pretends he's a car enthusiast...

butte Jan 14, 2019 01:40 PM

A boosted 3 liter that make 330 hp in 2019? Is this a joke?

pikwit Jan 14, 2019 01:45 PM

I think it looks hideous. Ugly car with what will prove to be an unreliable motor in a too heavy car.

Pal215 Jan 14, 2019 01:51 PM

There must be a lot of luxuries in it for it to be that heavy and be a RWD car. Weight never stopped the heavier and more classy M5 though...

moparfan Jan 14, 2019 01:58 PM

I would think such a hallowed vehicle like the Supra would be an actual Toyota, but I wouldn't be a buyer either way so it doesn't really matter.

kaj Jan 14, 2019 05:58 PM

I think this is cheaper than the MK IV was, in 1995 dollars, isn't it? And about the same power/weight? If not, it's gotta be close to both. The MK IV is still pretty bad ass to this day. Sure, the new one is 330whp now, but what about when people get their hands on it?
I find it interesting that so many people have formed opinions without knowing anything about the car, other than what it looks like in pics and on paper.

WarmMilk Jan 14, 2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11856737)
I think this is cheaper than the MK IV was, in 1995 dollars, isn't it? And about the same power/weight? If not, it's gotta be close to both. The MK IV is still pretty bad ass to this day. Sure, the new one is 330whp now, but what about when people get their hands on it?
I find it interesting that so many people have formed opinions without knowing anything about the car, other than what it looks like in pics and on paper.

we know its auto only... thats all I need to know. and we know its BMW plastic everything under the hood... which is another negative. unlike many others I don't think its ugly, its the the prettiest car out there, but I don't have any issues with its appearance. although it does have a pretty sh*tty front bumper for building a functional front splitter, it doesn't have much vertical bodywork to build pressure against with a splitter.

kaj Jan 14, 2019 07:53 PM

All cars are going A/T, though. We're just gonna have to get used to that, like how we got used to everything having power windows. I'll keep my old car for the "feel" of driving a manual, etc... but anything that buy new, I'm okay with A/T as long as the transmission shifts fast as ****.
For a daily, A/T is awesome. For track days a really fast DSG/etc is always faster. That being said, I'd opt for M/T in almost any car it's offered.

Lightsaber Jan 14, 2019 10:15 PM

I will never get used to a slushbox. I daily my 5MT Evo and it's a transcendent experience in canyons and I prefer it even in stop-and-go traffic. The car is always in the exact gear I want it to be.

The slushbox ruins cars. It shifts the car into the wrong gear and crashes it. It lazy shifts unless you push hard. It shifts dramatically slower in downshifts and the manufacturers' "shifting in less than x milliseconds" is phishing for phools. The slushbox is the ingredient for every disobedient car, every wimpy husband, and every unhappy wife.

My manual is my light, way, and life.

Edit: My assessment of the new Supra is that it's not a worthy successor by exterior design alone. Mustang achieved it and is selling well. Camaro did not, and its sales tanked. The design should have stayed true to the FT-1 concept and take cues from proportions the BMW i8 production car.

Most buyers are not that sophisticated and judge a book by its cover. The production car looks too fat and too watered down.

If I were in charge of the program, I would ignore the noise and focus on an exterior redesign for the upper trim Supra. This is the most sensible way to turn it around into a success.

Satisfying enthusiasts is not needed for a business success, but it boosts credibility so why not. A Corvette-like 6MT with some twin-turbo V8 should convert most enthusiasts into singing praises in an instant.