EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Ford Mustang gets the Ford Focus RS engine! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/753976-ford-mustang-gets-ford-focus-rs-engine.html)

moparfan Apr 15, 2019 12:59 PM

Ford Mustang gets the Ford Focus RS engine!

Minus 20hp, that is. I don't understand Ford.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...mance-package/

WarmMilk Apr 15, 2019 05:31 PM

I was under the impressions that its always been the same engine...

kaj Apr 15, 2019 07:19 PM

Put in the less desirable engine. WTF? I guess Mustang owners will also be swapping in ST engines. :lol:

whtrice Apr 16, 2019 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan (Post 11868625)
Minus 20hp, that is. I don't understand Ford.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...mance-package/

Not much to understand with this company anymore, they only have a few car models to deal with... My guess is they have allot of blocks and tooling in Germany leftover so they need to cram it into the Mustangs...... oh wait.....Maybe a RS Ranger too...... :lol:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ranger-engine/

Biggiesacks Apr 16, 2019 09:04 AM

warped heads for all

RS200 Apr 16, 2019 09:38 AM

I like the EB 2.3, I'll be swapping one into my 1965 Mustang if/when I get done with my Evo.
This is silly, though. Basically the HPP Mustang has bit more power throughout the RPM band (but still not Focus RS-level for some silly reason), this is not exactly game-changing. The major performance difference between the Mustang 2.3 and Focus RS 2.3 was in the turbocharger, but the existing 2.3 EB in the Mustang responds very well to bolt-ons and tuning, so this is essentially moot. They need to fix the ridiculously bad exhaust sounds that it makes first.

LetsGetThisDone Apr 16, 2019 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 11868653)
I was under the impressions that its always been the same engine...

Different cylinder head.

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11868670)
Put in the less desirable engine. WTF? I guess Mustang owners will also be swapping in ST engines. :lol:

See above, due to the different head, it takes a different gasket. All the head gasket issues were due to the wrong gasket being installed at the factory. Ford has rectified this. It is not a less desirable engine.

Biggiesacks Apr 16, 2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11868727)
Different cylinder head.

See above, due to the different head, it takes a different gasket. All the head gasket issues were due to the wrong gasket being installing. It is not a less desirable engine.

Oh really, thats what it was, just a massive assembly line **** up?

LetsGetThisDone Apr 16, 2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11868728)
Oh really, thats what it was, just a massive assembly line **** up?

Yeah, pretty much.

kaj Apr 16, 2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11868727)
Different cylinder head.

See above, due to the different head, it takes a different gasket. All the head gasket issues were due to the wrong gasket being installed at the factory. Ford has rectified this. It is not a less desirable engine.

I just know a friend of mine has been through three head gaskets and RS guys have been swapping in ST engines, according to him.

lv05evo Apr 16, 2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11868784)
I just know a friend of mine has been through three head gaskets and RS guys have been swapping in ST engines, according to him.

The RS head gaskets were done by dealers free of charge of course. Problem is I think some dealers were not well versed on the RS engine and all the timing and what not that needed to be set just right. Big pain in the ass as dealers always think they are never wrong.

ST engine swap was for the guys that wanted to run more power. I thought the ST block is iron(I don't remember for sure) where as the RS is aluminum open deck design.

Stupid a$$ cars if you ask me. "Fake" all wheels drive system that will can and will overheat on the track and reverts to FWD until the temps lower.

kaj Apr 16, 2019 04:52 PM

Interesting: after the last head gasket fix, he's down about 40whp. I wonder if they reduced timing to band aid the gasket. :lol:

LetsGetThisDone Apr 16, 2019 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11868802)
Interesting: after the last head gasket fix, he's down about 40whp. I wonder if they reduced timing to band aid the gasket. :lol:

That literally makes zero sense. Ford figured out the issue, and its not the tune. It was the wrong HG installed from factory.

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11868784)

I spent 10 minutes googling this and found nothing. Sleeves are already available for the RS block. The ST engine is aluminum also, so I don't see the agin from a different block. Maybe a few people did this due to unfound fear of the headgasket problem, which, for the 937th time, has been resolved. Idk why your friend keeps popping them unless the dealer isn't doing the job right.

deylag Apr 16, 2019 05:38 PM

IIRC, 2.0L ST engine is a closed deck design.

kaj Apr 16, 2019 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11868807)
That literally makes zero sense. Ford figured out the issue, and its not the tune. It was the wrong HG installed from factory.

I spent 10 minutes googling this and found nothing. Sleeves are already available for the RS block. The ST engine is aluminum also, so I don't see the agin from a different block. Maybe a few people did this due to unfound fear of the headgasket problem, which, for the 937th time, has been resolved. Idk why your friend keeps popping them unless the dealer isn't doing the job right.

The first part was my being facetious, that's why I left a smiley face. His car is down on power since the last time it was serviced. Ford says they won't do anything without a fault code.
The ST engines are what he told me he's seeing on the forum, don't shoot the messenger. I won't even pretend to know why his car has been "fixed" three times. He did say Ford found the problem with the head gasket. Not sure if that was the last fix or not.