Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

junk turbo from Exclusiveind187

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
junk turbo from Exclusiveind187

On August 25th of 2011 I purchased a used HKS GTII 7460r turbo from member Exclusiveind187 that was advertised in this thread for $1500 + shipping.

In his text messages to me he had indicated that there was no shaft play. I measured it at 0.007” axial shaft play and 0.018” radial shaft play measured at the tip. R/TErnie measured 0.0045” axial end play and 0.0085” radial shaft play on his used turbo.

Sean @Iveytune stated in relation to shaft play:
regular ball bearing turbo shaft play radially, but next to none thrusting

Due to totaling my car and having to take the time to get a new car, the turbo was put off to the side. I eventually got another 2006 Evo in February and the process began to build it up with the aftermarket parts, most of which came from my previous car. On the weekend of April 7th-8th I was finishing it up and was about to put the turbo I purchased from Exclusiveind187 into the car.

I had figured it to be prudent to blow some brake cleaner and a little compressed air through the oiling ports to verify there was no metal fragments in the turbo. What I discovered was this:

Name:  tzpKBs.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  2.4 KB
Name:  52mTYs.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  3.0 KB

I had tried to remedy the situation with Exclusiveind187 to either refund for the turbo or work something out to send it in for a rebuild and his response was:

Well I deffinetly don't have the money for that right now and am dealing with my own issues over here personal and financial. The best of luck with the turbo and getting it sent in or whatever your going to do with it?

Financial issues is a bit odd thing to say considering he is pricing out a new FP BB Black

Here are some threads indicative of pricing. This shows that for the price I paid, I could expect a working turbo, not a junked one.
$1500 NIB
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sale-engine-drivetrain-power/595885-hks-gtii-7460r-injen-full-catback-sale.html
$1800 NIB
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sale-engine-drivetrain-power/524813-fs-hks-gtii-7460r-brand-new-box.html
$1700 NIB
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sale-engine-drivetrain-power/543343-nib-hks-gtii-7460r-turbo-kit.html
$1450 used
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sale-engine-drivetrain-power/529659-hks-gt7640-gtii-turbo-only-1450-a.html

Text Message Transcript. These text messages took place from August 25th through September 2nd:

Me
W/o insurance. Ill send the paypal when I get home. Whats your paypal?

Him
Exclusiveind187@yahoo.com

Me
Alright. Sent money.

Him
Alright man. Sounds good
I’ll send it tomorrow J

Me
Idk how long it will take paypal to process the payment

Him
I got it

Him
Hey man I haven’t forgotten about ya I’m taking the turbo off now just being a ***** cuz my exhaust mani…

Me
Ok

Him
I apologize for the wait man… :/

Me
Np. Just keep me updated

Him
Ya I got everything all token [sic] apart just need one dam [sic] bolt on my mani off!!!! Lol

Me
Hehe

Him
Hey man I got it off now just getting this bad boy cleaned up and ready for shipment J

Me
Can you check out the shaft play?

Him
There is no shaft play

Him
Reference # is MMWPKWVNTZZZF use that to track your turbo. Call or text me if you have any issues and or questions. Thank you for your purchase and enjoy J

Me
Thanks

Him
Np

Me
It uses the stock j pipe connecting to LICP right?

Him
Ya and connects up to the stock LICP just fine cuz that’s Wat [sic] I used

Him
Did you receive the turbo?

Me
Not yet. Lot of carrier don’t deliver on Sunday. Is it through USPS?

Him
UPS

Me
Havent received the turbo and that tracking number doesn’t appear to be correct on the UPS website. Did you type it correctly?

Him
A carrier shipping label has been generated for the shipment to [Redacted] and is at The UPS Store #5544 awaiting carrier pickup. It will be picked up from The UPS Store #5544 by UPS on Monday, August 29, 2011. [Redacted]

Me
Thanks

Him
Yup

Him
How’s the turbo?

Me
Havent had a chance to get it. UPS dropped it off at the apt managers office and the ****head is never in his office

Him
Awww dam [sic] dude

Me
Got the turbo on Tuesday, got it checked out by our machine shop today. 0.007” thrusting shaft play and 0.018” radial movement at the compressor tip. That is a lot of shaft play. I am going to contact Sean Ivey and see if that is within HKS tolerances. Also, this is not the kai (updated) version.

Him
It is the gt II version I bought it straight from hks themselves

Me
Tha [sic] kai version is the updated version of the GTII.

Him
Oh I didn’t know that sorry… but I stated on the forum it was the gt II version

Him
What does the updated version of it have?

Me
Im not worried about that. Just different material used for turbine and exhaust housing. More resistant to heat

Him
Oh alright well sorry about that man I didn’t even know they came out with a new one… I thought the gt ii version was the new one when I bought it… but there is a lot of shaft play…??

Me
I am sending Sean Ivey that shaft play we measured as he wont tell me what the actual tolerances are.

Me
Is English Racing at fault for your blown engine?

Him
Alright. The turbo is good still I mean I would have kept it for myself if I didn’t spin a bearing. And no er is not I over revved is Wat [sic] happened

Me
Ahhk. Like I said, checking tolerances with Sean Ivey who is the US distributor for HKS. It might be that the play goes away as the turbo heats up and the bearings expand.

Him
Might be Idk but I mean it might have some shaft play due to just running it everyday as a dd. So Wat are you trying to do if it isn’t within tolerances?

Me
Couple options. A) see if I can get new cartridge ball bearings and just replace them. B) send it to get rebuilt C) just chuck it in the car and run it anyway.

Him
How much would that cost to replace them?

Me
Im trying to find that out. Right now I am just information gathering. I will keep you updated.

Him
Cool man sounds good. But hey seriously I am sorry for inconvenience this is causing you.. I wish I would have known

Me
Its no big deal. Don’t worry about it.

Old May 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah I've been following this drama with Nate (NolliJ) from the beginning. This guy sent him a bunk turbo and has not offered to help out at all.