Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

Issue with aurigagt2

Old May 15, 2018, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Issue with aurigagt2

A friend of mine who does not have an account on this forum purchased an "Evo 9" block from aurigagt2, from this thread-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...s-pistons.html

It is now edited, but the thread indicated the block was a 9 block, was standard bore, and in good condition, IIRC the final price agreed upon was $1k shipped (not that it matters). The block arrives, first thing I notice is that it is NOT a 9 block, it's an 8 block (1/8" oil pressure sensor port on the block, as opposed to M12x1.5 for the mivec feed banjo). At this point, I decide we should measure the bores, and sure enough they're at 85.5mm. So, my friend files a PayPal dispute, and long story short they agree on a $500 refund to make up for the issues with what (we though at the time) was a still useable block.

So, we take the it to the machine shop with appropriate pistons (had to wait for new, appropriately sized pistons), main studs, etc... Get a call from the machine shop last week, the main bearing bores and bore alignment are so far out of whack (+/- .005" oor, and out of alignment at least that much) that the only reasonable explanation is that the main cap/girdle that is on the block is from another block, and not the correct matching one for the block we have. The main bore is so bad, it is not fixable. It would require removing far to much material to get the main bores to line up. So, we now officially have an unusable extremely large and heavy paperweight of a 4g63.

The issue is that due to the previous refund and settled dispute with PayPal, my friend can no longer open a new PayPal claim/dispute even though this is an additional issue beyond the previous issue settled through PayPal. The seller is playing dumb, and has refused to refund anymore money. My friend has opened a dispute with his credit card company.

Not only is my friend out the remainder of his money for the block, we had to pay the machine shop for work already done on the block as checking the main bore alignment is the last thing they do before final hot tank, so that was about $300 for hot tank, surface deck, bore/hone, and hot tank again.

Moral of the story, don't buy anything from this guy.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; May 21, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 16, 2018, 09:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Maybe the lesson is this:

When purchasing a complex part (i.e. Engine block), do the following:
  • Have the seller confirm the block spec up front (cylinder bore condition & size, crank line bore value)
  • If the seller is unwilling to have the block checked, it should be sold "As is", with a reduced value (way below market value)
That was a tough lesson, but maybe we learn from it

Last edited by MinusPrevious; May 16, 2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old May 16, 2018, 09:46 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
My fear, every time I think about buying a block to be built. I guess it's safer to buy someone's old short block??? Maybe. I dunno, man. Sorry to hear about your buddy's bad experience, Sean. Good luck to him.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:09 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
i was under the impression you could get a new block from mitsubishi for not that much more then your friend payed?
Old May 16, 2018, 10:14 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
i was under the impression you could get a new block from mitsubishi for not that much more then your friend payed?
$1,800ish.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:17 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
$1,800ish.
thats insane, how is World or Dart not casting these things at that price point?
Old May 21, 2018, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Maybe the lesson is this:

When purchasing a complex part (i.e. Engine block), do the following:
  • Have the seller confirm the block spec up front (cylinder bore condition & size, crank line bore value)
  • If the seller is unwilling to have the block checked, it should be sold "As is", with a reduced value (way below market value)
That was a tough lesson, but maybe we learn from it
It's easy to make a fake letter head and write down "measurements".

Figured I'd post this so people don't buy from this guy. Glad to see the mod staff thinks there's a lesson for the buyer here, as opposed to just agreeing the seller is a **** bag and misrepresented what was for sale and giving him the ban hammer. Their is only so much one do can when making a purchase online.

We ended up snagging a new block from Daytona Mitsubishi on Ebay, $1750 shipped.
Old May 21, 2018, 03:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sean

The point i was trying make is: The seller should have noted "As Is"

Yeah, I guess he could extended the full goodwill refund

Certainly not siding w/the seller, but that noted defect was likely not known to him

Just would have liked your friend to have pushed the "as is" liability & purchased the block at a substantial discount (or in this case, not to have purchased it at all)

Joe
Old May 21, 2018, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

He had to have known. He claimed it was a previously running engine. I torqued a crank into the block with used bearings, and it doesn't spin. He knew the girdle got swapped. And/or lied about the engines prior state.
Old May 21, 2018, 05:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks Sean. That adds more to the story. If youre selling a block / head, youve got to be up front / full disclosure of what the history is
Old May 21, 2018, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
$1,800ish.
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D
Old May 21, 2018, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I remember this guy's FS post!! Good thing block was already sold when I looked!!
"Unless noted, all parts came off between 25k and 45k miles" must be race track miles.