Notices

SST clutch longevity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST clutch longevity

How do these dual clutch gearboxes generally hold up in the long term? I am considering trading up my Evo IX for the X MR; I just had to replace the clutch and I'm at 13K miles; would like to avoid having a repeat experience.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nobody really knows since they haven't been released yet.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:41 PM

I meant on comparable cars in general since VW's had one out for a while.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to say directly since I don't know if the torque limits of SST have been officially published. And tuners haven't had a chance to mod the car and push it till it breaks.

But, if you want comparisons to VW/Audi's DSG to use as a primer...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3670611
Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:23 PM

The maintenance manual that came with the GSR mentions the twin clutch transmission and it only says the transmission oil for the twin clutch must be changed every 60K (30K for severe use). Other than that it needs inspection for leaks. Nothing about clutch replacement. But then it also does not say you must replace the brake pads, only to inspect and replace “if necessary”. Your mileage may vary.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
The maintenance manual that came with the GSR mentions the twin clutch transmission and it only says the transmission oil for the twin clutch must be changed every 60K (30K for severe use). Other than that it needs inspection for leaks. Nothing about clutch replacement. But then it also does not say you must replace the brake pads, only to inspect and replace “if necessary”. Your mileage may vary.
It is not internally serviceable...replace the entire unit only. No one knows how long it will last, but you can make a fair assumption that mistu probably torture tested it to make sure it last at least a fair while. From what I understand, the clutch dont wear like a regular manual, so clutch wear out should not be the issue. Its also not really comparable to a DSG.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 01:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
It is not internally serviceable...replace the entire unit only. No one knows how long it will last, but you can make a fair assumption that mistu probably torture tested it to make sure it last at least a fair while. From what I understand, the clutch dont wear like a regular manual, so clutch wear out should not be the issue. Its also not really comparable to a DSG.
They're the exact same transmission design
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by adambl03
They're the exact same transmission design
No, they are not the same design. They are designed by two different manufactures(Mitsu is from Getrag and VW is from Borg Warner). The only thing they have in common is they are both a DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) system and use clutch pack designs from Borg Warner. That is all they share.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:23 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Evil_X
No, they are not the same design. They are designed by two different manufactures(Mitsu is from Getrag and VW is from Borg Warner). The only thing they have in common is they are both a DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) system and use clutch pack designs from Borg Warner. That is all they share.
So, they are the same transmission design. They are just produced by two different manufacturers.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

So, they are the same transmission design. They are just produced by two different manufacturers.
They are the same kind of transmission, not the same design.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:04 AM

No. They don't have the same design. They are not the same transmission what so ever. They don't even look alike and they don't share any parts. The only thing that Getrag gets from Borg is the clutch pack for their design and it is not the same as the VW DSG clutch pack.

EVO X SST http://www.getrag.de/en/234

Link to a pic of the DSG. http://www.germancarblog.com/2006/11...f-gearbox.html

Last edited by Evil_X; Apr 4, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:31 AM

Having owned a Golf GTI DSG for two years, which btw is my daily drive, I can say for a fact that tuning is a major headache with such a transmission. DSG-equipped cars have milder remaps with less boost in order to produce less torque. Big turbo kits simply don't exist yet, the wildest DSG I've ever seen had a K04 turbo and made 310 HP and 40+ kgm of torque (engine of course, not at the wheels). The ECU is more complex to tune and aftermarket parts such as specially-built quaife diffs etc are a PITA to install. The maintenance is quite expensive as well, I'm spending over 300 Euros over here for a transmission fluid change every 50k kms.

Now, there are companies out there that produce carbon clutches that replace the DSG's standard ones, but in the end it's debatable whether spending a fortune to build a fast car with a beefed-up DSG transmission is really worth it when with that money you could have bought something faster and more reliable in the first place (and there ARE faster and more reliable automatics AND manuals out there).

Now, people here are right: You can expect the SST to be much more robust just from the fact that it has to deal with a 4wd drivetrain that puts more strain on it on a 300hp car. In fact, knowing VW I'd expect the SST to be as similar to a DSG the same way a Boeing is similar to a kite.

Just my $.02: I don't regret buying a DSG GTI since it is very relaxing in daily traffic. My wife is a huge fan of it for this exact reason. But don't let the new GT-R or the soon-to-come DCT 911 Turbo fool you: The DSG takes away some of the passion of driving. And IMHO an EVO is just about driving fun.

Last edited by Master Yoda; Apr 4, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

There's no way for us to know how this transmission will last before it even is available on the market. Most magazine reviews say that it is among the best dual clutch set-ups in the world, so that is a vote of confidence...
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by RoBear
There's no way for us to know how this transmission will last before it even is available on the market. Most magazine reviews say that it is among the best dual clutch set-ups in the world, so that is a vote of confidence...
Car magazines concentrate on handling and performance, most of them proclaim proudly that they are not Consumer Reports. I would not pay any attention to what magazines speculate about reliability unless they have actually done a long term test and published the results.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
i heard this also, so basically if you plan on modding it , you better have 3 grand on the side, cause your warranty is history.

Quick Reply: SST clutch longevity