Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:53 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Mendo
Man, a comment like that only adds fire to an argument that is never ending. Personally I love the trans and haven't even had a hiccup. Sorry this happened to you. But it happened to you and a hand full of others; which IMO isn't enough to cry chaos and horror.
Exactly.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my X was towed to the dealer this morning, they plugged it into the diagnostics, cleared the codes and it was fine. The dealer suspects it was an old error code caused by a flat battery I had about a month ago.

I picked the car up this afternoon and now it's fine, in fact it feels better than before. Maybe that's because I've been driving a 100hp Colt (lol) OR maybe when they reset the error codes the gearbox was reset.

The dealer told me to drive it hard and let him know if anything happens, guess I should do as recommended
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

NicE!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bob808
So my X was towed to the dealer this morning, they plugged it into the diagnostics, cleared the codes and it was fine. The dealer suspects it was an old error code caused by a flat battery I had about a month ago.

I picked the car up this afternoon and now it's fine, in fact it feels better than before. Maybe that's because I've been driving a 100hp Colt (lol) OR maybe when they reset the error codes the gearbox was reset.

The dealer told me to drive it hard and let him know if anything happens, guess I should do as recommended
good stuff! well, keep us updated on what happens.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bob808

Old error codes

You should have asked what that code was .. and I'd probably be able to tell you what happened

CELs on this car will go away when the issue is no longer present and stay dormant until retrieved .. it will no longer affect the running of the car ..

Once CEL is active, your car can barely be driven .. and the most common 'feature' is 2000rpm idle and weird shifting..
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alphawav
That's exactly what happened to me. I was going up hill and the transmission made a weird sound, went into manual mode and I lost 5th gear. This was daily driving on a Thursday on the Freeway. The transmission then "overheated" about 30 seconds later and went into "limp mode" and left me stranded on the freeway. I daily drive my car, I don't offroad it or anything. But I daily drive it spiritedly.

I appreciate the praise for the SST in the Ralliart (and EVO MR) here on this thread I don't know if Mitsu pays you guys or if you are just "Fanboys"

I can't speak for the EVO MR but I can say that the Ralliart's SST is questionable to say the least and with a few more cases of this I sincerely hope that the DOT and the US Goverment get involved. Since I did send a letter to Mitsubishi about my problems and I received no reply whatsoever. That doesnt make me happy @ all.

As for the guy in Australia, and others, I invite you guys to send a letter with your experience and also a cc: to your government agency that is in charge of cars.

Now I have 12k miles (6k miles on the new tranny) and so far everything is good, a few funky clunks here and there but nothing serious.

wow these r very strong statements.. correct me if im wrong but...
1. you had ur car for 5,000 miles
2. tranny went "bad"
3. mitsubishi paid for everything because it wasnt ur fault
4. 6000 miles later no problems

ur sending letters to your local congressmen over this? dont get me wrong i would be very upset if i were u also but as long as everything got fixed at no cost to me nothing like this ^^^^ would be nesecary.

I get hard shifts all the time... i have downshifted and accelerated at the exact same time and though i left my tranny behind with how loud of a bang i got. i have 21,000 miles on mine in 9 months. i drive my car hard, real hard. it had been off road in mud and stuck in ice and snow. I dont baby my car at all. and i said if it can last 25,000 miles then i will not be scared to start modding. and i am sooo pleased up to this point

If there are 1000 of these transmissions sold and 10 of them break 99% of them are good transmissions. If anything id write a letter to misubishi thanking them for an awesome transmission. but thats just my opinion
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to me like the TC-SST is fairly robust at stock power levels and that most issues have been electronics related. I've had no issues with mine at all so far. Going through the posts in this thread I would have to say that the failure rate of some of the posters in this thread far exceed the TC-SST.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:08 PM

So my RA went in today to get a weird shake i got in the car when engine braking in 5th gear around 80-90kph.

They reflashed the car and contacted Mitsu "tech line". They are giving Getrag 1 month to attempt to reflash the TCU to solve what they think is an improper pressure setting on the clutches. If they cannot come up with a reflash to solve the problem i will be getting a new transmission. t- 30 days
Old Sep 25, 2009, 03:48 PM

more issues from Australia. the car shudders as you take off from rest on hills and clears as it changes into 2nd gear. fine on the flat. worse in sport rather than normal mode. assumed it was a sensor problem with the cluth engaging. no diagnostic fault caodes. the transmission oil came out dark and the replaced it , including flushing the filter. shuddering still, but maybe not quite as bad. the state service manager said "they all do it a bit, but yours is worse". not sure if they will replace it under warranty. no launch control starts or track work.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 03:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
docrog, does it do it in manual mode?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:48 PM

both manual and automatic
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

this is very odd,
as we have 400hp atw (300kw) no sign of transmission playing up
however with you problem on hills does it only happen on hot days or heavy traffic?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:10 PM

weather temp doesn't seem an issue, nor traffic load.
car has 18000km. i assumed it was the extra load ofthe hill start. mitsubishi don't know why the oil deteriorated, but o guess it has little bits of clutch in it!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by docrog
weather temp doesn't seem an issue, nor traffic load.
car has 18000km. i assumed it was the extra load ofthe hill start. mitsubishi don't know why the oil deteriorated, but o guess it has little bits of clutch in it!
I have seen 2 SSTs with the same isues as you .. stuttering off the line . but once it's moving .. its ok ..

And it seems like your observations are correct .. but off the hill is just the situation you were in .. its the extra load exerted on the clutches as you get off the line ..

The TCU is abit screwy in that it 'tries' to mimc a normal autotranny during engagement at standstill .. ie the auto creep .. it actually slips the clutches to ensure a 'smooth' move off .. so similar to a manual, when you slip it too often or too much power during slippage, it wears off the clutchplates..

Now, the programming portion I'm sure .. I'm just theorising on the clutches .. since I know quite a few manual guys (not necessarily Evos) burning their clutches because of this ..

Oh well .. we'll know when we tear down the gearbox and hav a peek
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gunzo

...CELs on this car will go away when the issue is no longer present and stay dormant until retrieved .. it will no longer affect the running of the car ..

This is not completely true. Most cels that cause a limp mode require manual reset.

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !