Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p1875

So picked up my 11' RA three days ago with 67,000 miles on it, and already am blessed with the opportunity to post in this thread . Everything went great on the test drive besides that pesky tpms service light. Now last night I had the "engine service required" notification pop up on the dash and after checking the code it read p1875 (Damper speed sensor poor performance). I saw sometimes a faulty battery can cause this issue so I checked the voltage and it's putting out around 14.5V when running and over 13V when turned off. This makes me think the battery is sadly not the issue. I then unplugged the ground wire from my battery and when I plugged it back in the engine service light showed up like nothing happened. The car is up for inspection here shortly and I'm afraid this issue will have to be addressed. I now know the damper speed sensor is not readily available as a replacement part, and am starting to think I am completely screwed. Would anybody who has knowledge of this issue and SST transmissions be able to give me advice on a course of action? That would be kindly appreciated and if anybody knows where to pick up a new damper speed sensor out there that would be a life-saver. Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 07:19 AM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you buy it from a dealer, or a private party? If this happened that soon after getting it I'd be trying to get my money back or have someone else pay to fix it. That might be tough though, especially if it was from a private party.

Otherwise you might want to try talking to Kozmic (or one of the other places that rebuilds them) about fixing it or parts availability.

Last edited by c08; Oct 2, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
allirart (Oct 2, 2017)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by c08
Did you buy it from a dealer, or a private party? If this happened that soon after getting it I'd be trying to get my money back or have someone else pay to fix it. That might be tough though, especially if it was from a private party.

Otherwise you might want to try talking to Kozmic (or one of the other places that rebuilds them) about fixing it or parts availability.
Thanks CO8,
The dealer took it back in but after three weeks they barely did anything except slap some inspection stickers on it. I'm going to see if they will let me swap the car out for a similarly priced GTI (not my first choice), but it is unlikely they will agree to that. Either way the dealer will be hearing more from me since they advertised it as working flawless. I talked to Kozmic and Jack Transmissions, they both said it could either be the sensor (about $3000 total in repairs), or a bad damper. I'm considering using this as an excuse to get aftermarket dampers and maybe lower my ride a little bit, and see if the warning light goes away. I know this is a transmission problem thread but if anybody has advice on finding some new dampers that would be much appreciated.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:41 AM

My Stock 2014 Ralliart with under 51k miles on it is having issue and I'm having a hard time getting the dealership to do anything.

My clutch seems to disengage at the low gears as I'm accelerating. After I notice, because of lack of power and engine RPM inscrease, the clutch will sometimes engage and *Thump!*. I have videos from my GoPro I use as a dashcam. The first time, I took it to the dealership, showed them the video, they gave it back to me, telling me they cleared some codes and drove it every day for a week without any issue. The codes were unrelated to the transmission or drivetrain. About a week later of driving to and from work, I was pulling in off a main street and it happened again. Back to the dealership, they drove it for 80 miles and couldn't replicate it. They wouldn't touch it because they couldn't replicate it and they "don't know where to begin". I showed them the videos, explained what happens but still nothing. I went to pick it up the 2nd time and a sales guy was waiting for me. He wanted to buy the car, and he wanted to sell me a new Evo X Final Ed for it. He said someone wanted the Ralliart. He asked me what car I wanted to trade in the Ralliart, I should have said a WRX. I need to figure out how much this car is to in case I do decide to sell it.

This past weekend (5/5/2018), it happened again going to a restaurant and again to a birthday party on the same evening.

I compiled some of the event into a single video. You may need to increase the volume a little to hear some of the revs and thumps.

Last edited by Isamu966; May 9, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old May 8, 2018, 01:50 PM

try rewrite sst tcu

my email 8190287@qq.com
Attached Files
Old May 8, 2018, 01:54 PM

Old May 9, 2018, 02:25 AM

So here I am back again since the last time I posted about my RA and the issue with the shift fork actuator pistons in the transmission. Since then I had my car tuned to 192kw at MRT performance (reputable workshop in Sydney), and the people who tuned it found out that there was oil leaking out of the SST. The car being still under warranty (lucky me, I guess?) I took it to a Mitsubishi service center, and they've told me that the sealant is leaking from the transmission, and that the whole transmission will need to be replaced, AGAIN!!!!!.

I really want to love this car, I had so many plans for it, but if this **** like this happens again with the transmission having to be replaced outside of warranty I'm not going to have enough money to repair, as it's a $10k part. Anyway I thought I would update the thread again just to inform the other RA - Evo X SST owners out there.
Old May 16, 2018, 09:25 AM

I dont have the tools to write to the TCU.

A little sidestep here. Monday, I was running a work errand when, heading southbound accelerating after a red light, my transmission started to act up again. It seemed really bad. Busy intersection, with 1st gear going in and out, but I knew where I wanted to go, so I very very slowly made a left turn. I couldn't be happier where it occurred.

I pulled up to their lot, and not wanting to turn off the car or leave it running unattended, I called up the dealership and they ran the mechanic right out and they were able to see it first hand. Finally they were able to see it happen. They gave me a loaner and back to work I went. Last I saw, the mechanic took off with my car and his diagnostic tablet.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, if you get the infamous C161E error code it means my ACD is done or what? What is the part number needed if this BS isn't covered under warranty? Had to run an OBD check on it and find the error, because I am stationed in Germany and none of the dealers here will check out American Vehicles. This is truly frustrating...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
So, if you get the infamous C161E error code it means my ACD is done or what? What is the part number needed if this BS isn't covered under warranty? Had to run an OBD check on it and find the error, because I am stationed in Germany and none of the dealers here will check out American Vehicles. This is truly frustrating...
Not sure about Germany, but if you get the C161E code and you're under 100K miles Mitsubishi will likely cover it. I got C161E and another ACD pump failure code and they covered it when I was at 95K miles. You'll need the whole pump. If they don't cover it, you could buy a new one for a very pretty penny ($1500-2000) or you could get a used one online for ~$500. I've seen rebuild kits for under $100 but I wouldn't go that route. I would argue to hell and back if they say no.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 07:40 PM

Hi, I have the same codes as your post. My car is booked for a new gearbox in 2 weeks. Since yours was replaced how has it been?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kmain
Hi, I have the same codes as your post. My car is booked for a new gearbox in 2 weeks. Since yours was replaced how has it been?
Who are you talking to?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Torcano
Who are you talking to?
it was meant to be to Donks8 post from July 2016
Old Nov 3, 2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Torcano
Who are you talking to?
it was meant to be to Donks8 post from June 2016
Old Dec 14, 2018, 02:04 PM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI in case anyone is interested in signing: https://www.change.org/p/miguel-mele...ld-be-recalled

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !