Compiled List of all SST Oil Coolers

Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using the AMS TransCooler?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fletch
Any word on a new pan to allow more fluid? These coolers seem like quite the job and if a fitting or hose comes loose, wow! How does the FQ360 deal with it doesn't it use the TSST as well?
Good question about the FQ360... I personally think it's all programming. After it is factory from . I'm sure they can make it do whatever they want.

With that being said, I only know of the SSP pans . They are a bit too much for me.

BTW, there is a very well known company about to release a new cooler. I'll post pics and details soon.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

I thought removing the driver lower light assembly clears airway and works. Anyone try this and still over heat?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

That is my next step, though I really want to get a transmission temp gauge before I start messing with things so I can document the effectiveness.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have a link or pic for the SSP rear cooler? I'm curious to see how it looks and where it is placed.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So has anyone actually shelled out the money for the HKS cooler? Holy crap. That's a quarter of the cost of my Greddy Twins that I have up for sale. Forget that.

Does anyone actually have the AMS cooler installed? If so can you post pics and perhaps your thoughts on its effectiveness?

Thanks,
B2F
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would love to know also if anyone have the AMS cooler installed too.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

According to rumors I've heard, it doesn't cool that well. This isn't from personal experience so take that with the grain of salt. I'd imagine with the RS Foglight deletes, it may be better though.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Theres a greddy one too
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

RRE installed their TCSST cooler kit today. As always, service was top notch in all aspects.

They're not quite ready yet as a DIY kit but for locals (or for those willing to make the trek - I drove 2hrs each way), they're charging $700 installed which includes about 3 quarts of Diaqueen SSTF-1 (plus sales tax for parts). Please note that these are still "made to order" kits and pricing for the DIY kit has not yet been finalized. From the quality of the components and the fact that 3/4 of a Daiqueen can is required, I would have paid $700 sans labour myself.

No fans or extra oil pump necessary as Mike's track tested his 300awhp Ralliart with 3 passengers for a full session at Fontana with no issues on this set up and no "Slow Down" warnings. Fans are available as an option for those high HP track mainly monsters.

I don't recall the exact dimensions of the coolers but I think they're in the range of 16" x 10" for the side mount and 10" x 6" for the front mount.

A sincere "mahalos" to Mike and his crew for yet another well executed service.

Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Wow, great looking set up.

An important thing I wish companies would release. A before and after run on the temps at a local track.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Wow, great looking set up.

An important thing I wish companies would release. A before and after run on the temps at a local track.
I agree that that would be great data to have on hand when making a decision on which cooler to get.

I haven't had any track time since the install but I did multiple runs up and down Palomar's Tight Side this weekend and the transmission (with RRE coolers) held up with no issues in S-Sport mode.

The Tight Side is a hill climb about 7 miles long with around 50 turns and 3,280' of linear elevation change and I'm shifting at redline (98% of the shifts are between 2nd and 3rd with the occasional 4th) for most of those 50+ turns. You don't get much over 60mph (meaning not much airflow at say a track like Big Willow) and you're loading up the transmission pretty heavily since you're going uphill for 7 miles. Here's a good video with some guy in his Miata climbing Palomar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynyquqCtPk

For me, if the TCSST could handle the stress of the Tight Side, I'm sure it'll handle most track days for a low 300awtq car with ease without the optional fans. Will report again once I get some real track time done hopefully in the next month or two.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:21 PM

Good information. I would personally go for the side mount kit as you are gauranteed airflow due to the factory ducting.

Top/Front definitely works but I wonder about the airflow implications. Airflow is not as straightforward as if i whack it on the front of the car it will get lots of air.

I would in either case go for fan cooled for that reason guaranteed airflow.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by El-Diablo
Good information. I would personally go for the side mount kit as you are gauranteed airflow due to the factory ducting.

Top/Front definitely works but I wonder about the airflow implications. Airflow is not as straightforward as if i whack it on the front of the car it will get lots of air.

I would in either case go for fan cooled for that reason guaranteed airflow.
Actually in this case, mounting the transmission oil cooler on the front of the car is as simple as if you "whack it on the front of the car it will get lots of air".
The Evo X engine cooling system is fairly robust in that it does not have much trouble keeping the water temps in the normal range (173-189), even with a front mount cooler and a larger intercooler.

For the cars that road race or are heavily modified, radiator upgrades are pretty simple and inexpensive. The OEM transmission cooler location, while ducted, does not have the best airflow, particularily at low speeds like many autocross and small road coarses encounter. The ability to cycle fluid through the cooler with the fan running while the car makes the SSP kit vastly superior to all other kits currently available.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have the AMS tranny cooler. I live in Dallas and tested it thru the HOT summer last year and this year so far. I flows a LOT of air. The fog lights do NOT block anything. I have been very happy with it. I like that the fan stays on for about 8 seconds after I shut the key off to help make a cycle flush and cool for a bit. Its very well built and not a cheesy core.

I think the price is fair. I have one had one tranny overheat issue with 4 adults in the car running it hard it flashed for less than 1 second and thats the only time it poped.

Im pushing 452 hp and 399 TQ (mustang dyno). The only thing that would make the AMS perfect would be an external pump to flow more fluid, but I dont know if thats even an issue as I dont know how well the factory pump flows.

For the price I think the AMS is the best product out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compiled List of all SST Oil Coolers