Notices

TC-SST Shuddering On Take Off

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC-SST Shuddering On Take Off

Hi, I drive a 2008 model Evo X MR and for quite some time I've had an issue with take off.

When I am taking off from a stationary start or from a very low speed roll, when I lightly feather the accelerator, I get a shudder from the transmission through the whole car. This shudder is sort of like "bunny hopping" a manual transmission and is exacerbated on inclines in places like car parks.

This is a persistent issue, though doesn't occur so much when you accelerate with force. It occurs in all TC-SST modes but doesn't throw any CELs when it happens. My car is completely unmodified mechanically, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing I've done to the car.

I've mentioned it to my dealer on the last service and they couldn't replicate the issue. I've since been back and put the service manager in my car and shown him this issue and he is raising it with Mitsubishi to get a local region service representative to take a look at it.

Has anyone else seen something like this and found a fix for it in the past?

I'd had hopes of putting some more power through my car with an exhaust and tune but this issue is eroding my faith in the TC-SST.

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:29 AM

My SST has also started doing this, about 4 months ago?

Feels a bit like the clutch or wheels are slipping? But they arnt...

I also want to upgrade my engine so please let me know if you hear anything back from your dealer.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When the car is cold and it hasn't warmed up I experience this sensation of bumpy acceleration with the SST. But I always thought this was normal, sort of like the same jerky starts you get on a manual transmission.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:00 AM

I had this problem. Started mildly and just got worse and worse over 15,000Km (my car has 36,000Km on the clock). Brought it back to the dealer 5 time to complain before the Whole box was replaced.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

what do you mean by bunny hopping? i'm trying to understand the probelm.

Originally Posted by recur
Hi, I drive a 2008 model Evo X MR and for quite some time I've had an issue with take off.

When I am taking off from a stationary start or from a very low speed roll, when I lightly feather the accelerator, I get a shudder from the transmission through the whole car. This shudder is sort of like "bunny hopping" a manual transmission and is exacerbated on inclines in places like car parks.

This is a persistent issue, though doesn't occur so much when you accelerate with force. It occurs in all TC-SST modes but doesn't throw any CELs when it happens. My car is completely unmodified mechanically, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing I've done to the car.

I've mentioned it to my dealer on the last service and they couldn't replicate the issue. I've since been back and put the service manager in my car and shown him this issue and he is raising it with Mitsubishi to get a local region service representative to take a look at it.

Has anyone else seen something like this and found a fix for it in the past?

I'd had hopes of putting some more power through my car with an exhaust and tune but this issue is eroding my faith in the TC-SST.

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:49 PM

It's as if the clutches aren't releasing cleanly, and when taking off the car is grabbing and slipping the clutch repeatedly.

This makes the whole car shake in a somewhat rhythmic fashion until the clutches engage properly and the vehicle is in motion.

As I said, this is more pronounced on inclines or from a standing start, and it is only under low revs when in occurs.

Sure I could always punch the accelerator to stop it happening, but in indoor car parks, such activities have other unwarranted side effects such as accidents.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:10 PM

mmm digging a bit deeper on here it seems it's not an isolated issue: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ml#post7544759

more issues from Australia. the car shudders as you take off from rest on hills and clears as it changes into 2nd gear. fine on the flat. worse in sport rather than normal mode. assumed it was a sensor problem with the cluth engaging. no diagnostic fault caodes. the transmission oil came out dark and the replaced it , including flushing the filter. shuddering still, but maybe not quite as bad. the state service manager said "they all do it a bit, but yours is worse". not sure if they will replace it under warranty. no launch control starts or track work.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Mine shutters in launch control mode when it loses traction, like in the rain or when attempting a burnout but at no other time, feels like wheel hop but not quite. Since it only occurs when I do something stupid, I don't worry much about it.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My best impression of OP's symptoms is like when you let the clutch out too fast with a manual car when taking off with low revs.
Like when a learner driver bunny hops down the road in 1st.
(we've all done that!!)

So maybe yeah the clutch is engaging too fast (rather than slipping slightly for a smooth take off?) or it's engaging/disengaging quickly as you take off for some reason.
Hope Mitsi sort it for you mate.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:47 AM

My SST gearbox is being replaced in the next fortnight.

Hopefully this is the end of my problems.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

keep us updated...any reason why they're replacing the whole thing?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like when a flywheel is warped in a manual tranny
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:45 PM

No idea on why the whole unit is getting replaced, other than the fact that they say it isn't serviceable, and as such, they are replacing it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

mine stutters too when going up driveway into garage. I thought it did this because i need to rotate the tires
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:43 AM

Mine does this with 7500km.... should i consult a ralliart/evo garage?

Quick Reply: TC-SST Shuddering On Take Off