Notices

Manual mode but shifting automatically

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual mode but shifting automatically

Have you ever had your SST shift on its own when the lever is in the manual gate? I'm not referring to the automatic downshift when coming to a stop. The cluster shows the gear number (without the D prefix), and I've had it go shift up a gear and then down a gear (I believe 2-3 and then 3-2), as if it were in automatic mode.

This has happened twice so far. Both times have been soon after getting out of the garage on a cold start when I started in auto, drove a few seconds in auto and then put the lever into manual. I'm not sure how long this condition lasts as once I notice it, I put the lever back into the auto side and then back into the manual side, and it truly stays in manual.

Thanks.

Last edited by hccyong; Aug 5, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
D__

Yes. Cold getting going. Dropped a gear and wouldn't let me up shift. Put in auto and drove for a few minutes and everything ok after.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

Just FYI, the car will downshift in full manual under a certain speed, no matter what, in order for the motor not to stall

- Bryan
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Just FYI, the car will downshift in full manual under a certain speed, no matter what, in order for the motor not to stall

- Bryan
Yes, but have you seen it upshift under light throttle at low RPM like around town even when in manual the manual gate? That's what I noticed twice.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a loose shift button to me. Either in the steering column or at the stick.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:21 AM

I've never had the sst upshift on me before. I've pinged off the rev limited a couple times playing rally racer to see if it would.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:45 AM

Never experience this even in the cold weather. I guess I never drove on D when I left my garage. Always do
1. Start the car
2. Push button forward to Sport
3. Pull down shifter to D then left to manual
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:34 AM
D__

Originally Posted by evoyao
Never experience this even in the cold weather. I guess I never drove on D when I left my garage. Always do
1. Start the car
2. Push button forward to Sport
3. Pull down shifter to D then left to manual
Same but experienced downshift. Actually it shifted into second for a few seconds then dropped me to first. Didn't let me shift up until temperature came up a bit. I'm in Canada and it was damn cold that day.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:22 AM

I am getting this when ever I get out of my house in the morning, I always drive with the stick on the manual gate. I've noticed that if the car is still cold it automatically shifts sometimes from 1-2 or 2-3 but when the temps come up it doesn't do it. Should I worry about this and get it checked out??
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moomeacow
I am getting this when ever I get out of my house in the morning, I always drive with the stick on the manual gate. I've noticed that if the car is still cold it automatically shifts sometimes from 1-2 or 2-3 but when the temps come up it doesn't do it. Should I worry about this and get it checked out??
it's likely that it's from the transmission being cold and trying to protect itself.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It might have an artificially lowered shift point when warming up, also if the car was tuned there are various tables that can effect shift points once altered.

The Lancer Sportback might also have a different behaviour than the Evo X MR/SE, is this a Ralliart with SST or Sportback with CVT? On my Outlander Sport it has the CVT and even in manual shift mode it will auto upshift around 6100. The SST and CVT setups are different animals.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 8, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 03:02 PM

Evolution se sst on normal mode have not tried it on other modes
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:28 PM

Same thing has happened to me when cold maybe 3 times in 30k miles. At first I thought it might be a precursor to the classic 'lost gear' failures but it hasn't happened often enough for me to worry about it. I actually can't remember the last time it happened.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:41 PM

Sorry to revive this dead thread but it covers the issue I am experiencing. The car while in manual mode regardless of normal, sport or s-sport will upshift under light to mid throttle. This also happens most often if the steering wheel is turned beyond approximately 25deg. Has this issue been resolved or cause identified?? I am running 400whp and regular D automatic mode is not ideal. Running with tephraMod v1 ROM and car is a 2008 MR with TCU updated to 2011. Transmission is fully stock and getting oil changed in case the old oil is affecting g the sensors. Please share any findings or confirmed information regarding this problem.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:45 PM

Bump

Quick Reply: Manual mode but shifting automatically