Notices

x MR sst question

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x MR sst question

ok so if I drive my car daily and don't track it or take it to the strip ever (just the occasional WOT getting in the highway and maybe a few other times.) Is the upgraded trans cooler really a needed option? My car is pretty much a true daily even though I don't drive it daily I drive it like a grandma 95% of the time and don't ever track it or launch it. So my question stands.

also... I've heard the 4b11t is a bit weaker with stock internals than the 4G63. has anyone tested this where they have a valid opinion on this?

I know it's mostly about the tune but I have also heard the 4b11s rods aren't that strong.

any input would be great!!!
Old May 26, 2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SST Transmission is made to not need a transmission cooler for regular use. Many people haven't had any trouble with it at the track either if it's stock.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

sweet. Thought so. But all I was referencing was common sence... No real life factual knowledge.

appreciate it
Old May 26, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by luvboost
ok so if I drive my car daily and don't track it or take it to the strip ever (just the occasional WOT getting in the highway and maybe a few other times.) Is the upgraded trans cooler really a needed option? My car is pretty much a true daily even though I don't drive it daily I drive it like a grandma 95% of the time and don't ever track it or launch it. So my question stands.

also... I've heard the 4b11t is a bit weaker with stock internals than the 4G63. has anyone tested this where they have a valid opinion on this?

I know it's mostly about the tune but I have also heard the 4b11s rods aren't that strong.

any input would be great!!!
Based on the use you describe, you should not need a cooler.

The 4b11 rods are no weaker than the 4g63 rods. The stock bottom ends on both engines seem to break at about the same torque/rpm range. I have seen some 4b11's broken when tuned the same way a 4g63 is tuned, but that doesn't mean the engine is weaker. They can also pop ring lands, but this is usually the result of improper tuning, (lack of tuning period with mods).

I think the major advantage the 4g63 has over the 4b11 is the cost to build it for large power. Being cast iron, the block on the 4g63 does not need to be sleeved (in most cases), saving the owner who wants a high horsepower Evo a good amount of coin. This coupled with the fact that the earlier Evo's have a signifcant weight advantage over the X makes the 4g63 powered cars extremely potent when compared to the X.

Originally Posted by Grimshaw
The SST Transmission is made to not need a transmission cooler for regular use. Many people haven't had any trouble with it at the track either if it's stock.
Those would be the slow people... j/k

If you track the SST on a warm day in S-Sport mode on a short track with a lot of shifting, you WILL get the slow down message without the cooler, even stock. It seems to depend more on the track than the weather. John from Import2race and the Real Time Attack series tracks a mostly stock MR, and without a cooler, he get's slow downs very quickly.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys for the good info!!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:10 AM

Good info
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah... as other people said... unless you track alot in super sport mode... you won't need a tranny cooler. I've never gotten the slow down message on the street.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

you can always get rid of the fog lights to get more air to the stock trans cooler. I bought the JDM RS fog light delete kit. It looks better and now there is nothing in the way of the cooler.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:14 AM

^^ I did the same thing and have not run into any issues.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have a question:

Is it true that you should change your Trans Oil every 2 Oil Changes?

A buddy of mine brought this up to me last night and I change my oil every 3,500 miles in all my turbo vehicles so this would be my 6 oil change on my car and I haven't thought to change out the trans oil. Rookie mistake I am sure but I would just like some clarification.

Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I'm clocking in at 12-15k miles between SST fluid changes. I think that the more important thing would be to replace the filter - it gunks up really quickly. I've ordered an SSP SST filter so that I can hopefully prolong the life of the incredibly expensive filter on the transmission...
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with mrMTB I change my SST filter every two oil changes and the fluid every two SST filter changes
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Built2Fast
I have a question:

Is it true that you should change your Trans Oil every 2 Oil Changes?

A buddy of mine brought this up to me last night and I change my oil every 3,500 miles in all my turbo vehicles so this would be my 6 oil change on my car and I haven't thought to change out the trans oil. Rookie mistake I am sure but I would just like some clarification.

Thanks
No, I can't see that being economically viable for a street-driven SST.

If you were a psycho track demon clocking up hours of sustained lap driving on stock cooler and Diaqueen fluid, you could probably make a good case for that. But that's probably a small minority of SST owners.

Apparently, cooking the stock fluid shortens its useful life. So it really comes down to usage vs. cooling efficiency vs. fluid age.

That's why some people try to get more air into the stock cooler (foglamp deletion), and/or upgrade the SST cooler itself - less chance of heat-related SLOW DOWN message, and prolonged fluid life.

Some people switch to after-market fluids with the aim of getting a fluid that doesn't degrade as fast when cooked.

There is probably a sound case to be made for an early initial fluid+filter change, eg. within the first 15,000km to 20,000km of the car's life. As it's a closed system, all the wear-in material has to be handled by the filter - or just remains in the fluid. But after you've done that initial change, pick the interval you can afford that best fits your usage habits.

I drive my RA on track/skidpan. No sustained lapping so far, though - 1-2 minutes at a time, with cooldown period afterwards. Never had a SLOW DOWN message (yet). I got my fluid changed at the 20,000km mark. Will probably get it changed once a year from now on, so that means probably every 20k. I can sleep at night with that, and can wear that maintenance cost.

Not planning on going after-market fluid - stock Diaqueen (and filter) replaced yearly should be fine for my driving habits. I reckon more would be overkill.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

plus a trans change with filter is like 500 dollars. That's not gonna be affordable for every other oil change.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

A little less than that ($120 for the filter and about $250 shipped for 2 cans of fluid), but directionally correct - it's a pricey piece of kit to keep happy.

Quick Reply: x MR sst question