Notices

HELP! Whats the most an Evo X MR trans can handle?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Whats the most an Evo X MR trans can handle?

Im a total noob in any thread so please forgive me but Im freaking out. I bought a brand new MR Touring and after 1600 miles I just dropped it off at COBB tuning for a 400s kit along with a couple other goodies. I wanted as close to 500 awhp as possible but now Im learning that the stock SST transmission doesnt do well with high HP. Does anyone know or have an MR with over 400 awhp with the stock trans? Im freaking out cause with the money Im spending plus the total cost of the car I could have bought a slightly used 08 M3. Is it worth it??
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
search function is your friend
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Lol. First off take deep breath...

Second, you have left your car with one of the best tuners in the States today. Nothing to worry about. I'd say they'll probably adjust your sst tables accordingly due to the amount of power you're looking for. You're probably going to need a 500 hp clutch pack upgrade from SSP ( South Side Performance).
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:23 PM

Mike, thanks for the reassurance. I talked to them about a clutch upgrade but they were talking $4k! I looked up online and saw the SSP 500hp kit was only about $1300. I know COBB charges a lot but damn! I've already maxed my credit card to the limit. I guess I'll have to de-tune it under 400 whp til I can save? How hard can I drive it until it gives?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by notenoughhp
search function is your friend
tried that first, trust me. like i said, im a noob and Im freaking out a little.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoXMRnoob
Mike, thanks for the reassurance. I talked to them about a clutch upgrade but they were talking $4k! I looked up online and saw the SSP 500hp kit was only about $1300. I know COBB charges a lot but damn! I've already maxed my credit card to the limit. I guess I'll have to de-tune it under 400 whp til I can save? How hard can I drive it until it gives?
I personally would call Cobb directly with my concerns. I have no knowledge of what the stock clutch packs hold. Some people say 350lb/ft, others say ~400. Why not just get it dialed in for response, instead of max power. I'd say 400/350 would be an awesome dd. Are you gonna do cams?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:50 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Cobb tuning is the best or one of the best places you can take your car to. After 400 without clutch packs things get risky on stock. Not only is it smart to get clutches but also sst cooler. Don't freak out but it is smart for you to grab clutches and a cooler if you truly want to experience the power. With stock stuff your performance will be held back. As for comparing to other cars, after that much power to the wheels is orgasmic. Do not ever have buyers remorse with an evo nor mods you put to it.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 05:00 PM

rest assured you car is in good hands, they will tune it for solid & reliable power...they know the limitations of the SST and won't let you down
Old Sep 3, 2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Bones
I personally would call Cobb directly with my concerns. I have no knowledge of what the stock clutch packs hold. Some people say 350lb/ft, others say ~400. Why not just get it dialed in for response, instead of max power. I'd say 400/350 would be an awesome dd. Are you gonna do cams?
Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Yes, I am doing Kelford cams along with a FP Green upgraded turbo. I talked to the guys when I dropped my car off and when I was talking about upgrading the intercooler for even more power, that is when they said I would already be pushing more power than my trans could handle. But not really emphasizing the real need for a trans upgrade. I plan on getting the AMS trans cooler and definitely looking into the SSP upgrade kit.
Im limited on time though, Im leaving for a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic Nov 3 and taking my Evo with me. Hopefully Germany after that so I can tackle the Nurburgring.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

PM sent
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

FYI, you can't break 500whp /w an FP Green. Now a Black, that's a whole 'nother thing there....
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Stock clutches and SST trans can take anything the FPgreen can dish out unless the tune is rubbish.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
FYI, you can't break 500whp /w an FP Green. Now a Black, that's a whole 'nother thing there....
I hope to prove that wrong very soon.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
I hope to prove that wrong very soon.
Just look at the lb/min. It's not rocket science.

If it makes "500" whp then it's a higher reading dyno.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

My MR + FP Green makes 363 awhp. You might want to temper your expectations somewhat.

Quick Reply: HELP! Whats the most an Evo X MR trans can handle?