Notices

Warning: "Transmission Service Required"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning: "Transmission Service Required"

Got the "Transmission Service Required" warning indicator this morning when I started it up.

Bone stock 2010 MRT 11K miles. It was 73 deg outside so ambient temperature wasn't a problem.

Made an appointment at the dealership. I have my fingers crossed that it's not a major issue.

Never noticed any problems or strange noises before this....well except the usual slight-delay-from-a-dead-stop issue that all SST's supposedly have.

Will report back with updates after my service appointment.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paul123
Got the "Transmission Service Required" warning indicator this morning when I started it up.

Bone stock 2010 MRT 11K miles. It was 73 deg outside so ambient temperature wasn't a problem.

Made an appointment at the dealership. I have my fingers crossed that it's not a major issue.

Never noticed any problems or strange noises before this....well except the usual slight-delay-from-a-dead-stop issue that all SST's supposedly have.

Will report back with updates after my service appointment.
I had that one time when I got suck in the snow (it was bad, most of the city's snow plows were stuck) and after rocking the car back and forth for like 5-6 min, I got the message.

I shut down, restarted, and it never showed up again. Might've been a fluke. Is the message persistent?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:38 PM

That night after work, the message was still there.

Next morning, and ever since, no message.

Last edited by paul123; Jan 20, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

^That's actually not uncommon. Alot of people have had issues with the SST that seem to resolve themselves. Usually it fixes itself within a few ignition cycles.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:10 PM

Good to know that I'm not the only one and that it usually resolves itself.

Do you think the service department will be able to "pull codes" for the warning message and diagnose the problem, even though the message is now gone?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

If the CEL isn't on, they can't do anything.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to know. Keep us informed.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

I also just got that same message "Transmission Service Required" on console, then when I put in reverse, i was blinking and car didn't go anywhere. I turned the car off for a minute and started it again. The service code disappeared and car runs normal again.

that was scary. hopefully that's gone forever.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Since you might have missed it in the manual, when the gear indicator blinks in the MID, it means that the system was not able to confirm that the requested gear has been selected in the transmission. Typically the blinking resolves itself in a few seconds, but other times you might need to shift to park, release the brake, and try again.

The blinking can happen without causing a transmission service message, but it's possible that whatever caused the system to show the message also prevented the transmission from confirming the gear selection.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:07 PM

UPDATE: Just got the car back from service today. No error codes (fault codes) were found upon scanning. At this time, it is unknown what caused the initial warning message. I'll probably change the SST transmission filter and fluid in the next month or so just to be safe. Will take pictures of my filter (and post) when I do.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:49 PM

UPDATE: Just got the car back from service today. No error codes (fault codes) were found upon scanning. At this time, it is unknown what caused the initial warning message. I'll probably change the SST transmission filter and fluid in the next month or so just to be safe. Will take pictures of my filter (and post) when I do.
I wouldn't mess with it... The oem fluid is $125/ gallon and it takes close to two gallons not to metion the $119 for the filter! On top of that the jacker that you got working on your sst prolly doesn't know whats going on with these transmissions. If it ain't broke don't fix it. FYI servce interval is 30K on the fluid change if your not beating on it.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nhgraham
I wouldn't mess with it... The oem fluid is $125/ gallon and it takes close to two gallons not to metion the $119 for the filter! On top of that the jacker that you got working on your sst prolly doesn't know whats going on with these transmissions. If it ain't broke don't fix it. FYI servce interval is 30K on the fluid change if your not beating on it.
You can get the fluid much cheaper. Read this:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...sst-fluid.html
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:53 AM

There was a post I read that indicated an SST fluid and filter change at around 15k miles would be highly beneficial. Within the post (or other posts, I can't remember) there were pictures of the filter after only about 10-15k miles, and it was pretty bad.

So I guess there is some debate about the worth in doing this earlier than the 30k specified interval.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:21 PM

I just got my DD EvoX MR the 60K service at CobbSoCal. I have always done the required svcs. and had been told that 60K was fine for the SST fluid change, assuming one doesn't do track days and drag races all the time....I had them save the changed-out trans filter (outrageous cost-$122 for a $15 part). The fluid was not very discolored and the filter was clean with no visible metal or metallic pieces, and not gummed up. Looked great for 60,544 miles. The car and the trans work perfectly and it is tuned.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by evolved13
I just got my DD EvoX MR the 60K service at CobbSoCal. I have always done the required svcs. and had been told that 60K was fine for the SST fluid change, assuming one doesn't do track days and drag races all the time....I had them save the changed-out trans filter (outrageous cost-$122 for a $15 part). The fluid was not very discolored and the filter was clean with no visible metal or metallic pieces, and not gummed up. Looked great for 60,544 miles. The car and the trans work perfectly and it is tuned.

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a lot better. I'm going to do more research before I decide on doing the fluid and filter change so early. (especially since it is so expensive!)

Quick Reply: Warning: "Transmission Service Required"