Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still grinding....

Well, not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but the grinding still persists. I have added MANY more recording to my library that I have sent to the dealer and Mitsu Tech Line, but still no results.
I have a hard time blaming the dealer though, as I think they have done all they can. At this point there is STILL a case open with Mitsubishi Tech Line and for the longest time they were not responding. I sent an email to the dealer to follow up and received a phone call from them (the dealer) today. They said that they spoke to Tech Line and that they said that this issue is normal. I almost lost my MIND!! I told the dealer that this is NOT normal and that this is an ISSUE and needs to be fixed. I reminded the dealer that this is the most EXPENSIVE car that Mitsu sells and I will accept nothing but the best service. I advised her to contact Tech Line once again and let them know that I will not accept that response and am expecting some sort of resolution.
I will be contacting her tomorrow to see what it is she has to report.

It would seem like to me that this Tech Line just doesn't want take the time to get this fixed. I am very frustrated!

I did have a couple questions that I was hoping someone could answer with some certainty.......

Because I have reported this issue some time ago, well within my warranty period, is Mitsu responsible to fix it, even if the issue extends part the warranty period?

Also, what is this tech line? Does anyone have further info on it?

And lastly, if anyone has any advice or ANYTHING that they think can help I am all ears!!

Thanks to anyone that has already contributed to this thread and anyone that does in the future.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Just sharing my experiance on this. I too have had the noise happen to me. It has not happened in over a year now. I started using my ebrake when parking. Set the ebrake before the car rolls forward in park. I'm pretty sure the weight of the car on the parking brake for some reason causes the starter to skip and get hung up on the flywheel. Worth a try? I also try to come off the key nob as fast as possible once the motor fires up. I've been grind free for a while now. Pretty sure the owners manaul states to use the ebrake while parking also.

Last edited by gaabbee; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:04 PM

eBrake????????????

What's that?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

um hand brake?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:28 PM

Ah, e-mergency brake
Thought you Colonials had some sort of ebrake (as in electronic) brake that us mere mortals are not worthy of having
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by gaabbee
Just sharing my experiance on this. I too have had the noise happen to me. It has not happened in over a year now. I started using my ebrake when parking. Set the ebrake before the car rolls forward in park. I'm pretty sure the weight of the car on the parking brake for some reason causes the starter to skip and get hung up on the flywheel. Worth a try? I also try to come off the key nob as fast as possible once the motor fires up. I've been grind free for a while now. Pretty sure the owners manaul states to use the ebrake while parking also.
Thanks gaabbee, I actually do use the ebrake every time I park. Coming from a regular standard transmission, I am already accustomed to use it. I usually engage it before taking my foot off the brake. And when I hear the grind is right after I start the car with the ebrake still engaged. I will try your other suggestion about releasing the knob quickly after it fires up, see if that makes any difference. It would actually be nice to know that it was just the starter and not the SST, but I have not heard anyone with the 5speed tranny mention this issue.... Strange.
I will be calling the dealer early next week to see if there is any progress. I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean / replace the SST filter.

I believe the grind comes from the filter being partially plugged, and the transmission not building enough pressure to properly sync the gears at startup.

I had the issue before I did a SST fluid and filter change. After that, it went away for quite some time, but eventually returned.

This time, I just pulled the filter and cleaned it. The noise immediately went away and never came back.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Mike... how's it recently? Mind to say which dealer(s) that you went?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

how does mitsu expect people to stay loyal to them while they treat you evo x owners like that? im sure they have done allot, but as OP stated this is the most expensive and top of the line car they produce and it should be treated as such..

get it together mitsu
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 416_EVO
Mike... how's it recently? Mind to say which dealer(s) that you went?
Still grinding every once and awhile..... What worries me is the weather is getting warmer... And it will start to happen less frequently. This is what happened last time.

At this point the dealership has asked me to contact customer service at Mitsu directly. I have done this and they are investigating my case. I see that the videos I have posted for them have again been downloaded, but no further communications with me. I will give them a call again and see what they have to say.

The dealership I am going to is Cambridge Mitsubishi. Been both good and bad experiences there. The mechanics are good people, but I have been through countless service managers which only adds to the frustration.

After I give them a call again (Customer Support) , I will post back with what's going on.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and support! Hopefully this gets resolved soon!

Mike
Old May 5, 2013, 04:59 AM

i have the same issue, grind noise at cold start..
also after reverse to a full stop put the car in drive and the car will jerk.. feels kinda like wheel spin but its not the wheel if you know what i mean..
mitsu here said its the timing chain stretching and also seems that my clutch in the mr need to be replaced..
bought the car new, i've done 25,000km, it is my daily drive never been to the tracks, and the car is only 2.5yrs old..
they said it will take a week to fix.. so i guess i'll wait n see the outcome first..
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

About a year later and here's what I've noticed:

-The startup grind is much more common in cold temperatures. It still doesn't happen often but it makes for a teeth clenching moment in the morning when leaving for work in the winter months.
-Disengaging the e-brake before starting the ignition seems to help prevent the grinding noise.

I plan on doing my first SST fluid and filter change this summer around 24,000 miles. I will probably stick with the OEM Diaqueen and paper filter for this change but the next time around it's definitely getting SSP Gold. I want to bring it to a dealer just so it's on Mitsu records while the car is still under warranty. Any recommendations in the Southeast PA area? I have been going to Peruzzi but they've had some management change and the new service manager is a dope. I plan to buy all the parts myself and take it to Fred Beans.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:53 PM

Ive been having the same issue.
For me simply turning the car to the accessory option then letting it sit for 10secs then starting it. Never done this noise again
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:23 PM

i just had this problem start on me recently , cold start only . Its sitting at the dealership right now . imma head over there tomarrow and start the car for them , hopefully they know whats going on.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 04:40 PM

seeing if anyone had this fix dealership keeps fixing things and saying its fixed but the noise remains. any updates from anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SST Grind on Startup