Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have this issue as well on a 09 Ralliart with 82K on it. However, I discovered the same "fix" that Jigga12 did. Whenever I go to start it, I turn the key to "on", wait about 5 seconds, then start the car. It almost never grinds if I follow that process.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this problem too. I have a little oil leak in a sst tube. I'll try to solve this problem when my car comes back of paint ( 3 weeks ). I use the Motul DCTF and i haven't grind before but now matter the same of you, after summer in cold start.

I hope we find a solution soon.

regards
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:06 AM

I have a 2010 Ralliart does this not all the time but when the car sits for a long period of time. I watched a interesting video on Youtube that might explain this.
This video explains alot about the DCT470.
23:23 explains about delay when you turn the key off, it also tells of the fluid used in the transmission. This is the most informative video about DCT470 or SST. 45:30 talks about the fluid.

Last edited by inventor68; Oct 31, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 05:33 PM

I had posted this info in another thread, I would like to share it here too.

I had tried several ways to avoid the grind noise, one worked mostly on me is:

Step 1:
turn the key to "on" without start engine, move the shifting lever from P to D slowly by step, then move it back to P, repeat 4 times(that's what I did), turn off the key.
Step 2:
repeat Step 1 one more time
Step 3:
start the engine

so far so good.
I found if I just do Step 1 one time, the chance was 50/50, do it twice, not grinding yet, I hope this helps someone who suffers the same problem, and maybe someone who knows the internal mechanism can think into this direction and work out a final solution for us.

btw, my car only grinds in the morning after parked the whole night, will see if it also grinds after 5-6 hours parking in colder weather
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:35 PM

new update, I don't know if this is the reason, I cleaned my throttle valve body 2 days ago, it was really dirty, since I did not have a MUT III to reset the throttle, the engine seemed not willing to return to idle after a stop at the lights, so I reset the fuel trim with COBB AP, and the car drove fine after that.
This morning I tried to start the car directly, without the P-R-N-D process I posted in the last reply, and there is no grinding, it just started peacefully, I will keep you guys updated a few days later.
btw: the temp. I parked was about 10 degrees C at night, which was enough to trigger the grinding before the throttle body cleaning
Old Nov 16, 2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ian0611
I have this issue as well on a 09 Ralliart with 82K on it. However, I discovered the same "fix" that Jigga12 did. Whenever I go to start it, I turn the key to "on", wait about 5 seconds, then start the car. It almost never grinds if I follow that process.
Waiting 5 seconds no more grinds in mine. Thanks Jigga21 & you!!

Last edited by TerciosMR; Nov 16, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 05:48 PM

a quick update: my car is "cured" after the throttle valve cleaning, I was on a business trip and parked the car outside the air port at 6 degree C for two days, and it started perfectly, maybe you guys should also look into this part
Old Dec 5, 2014, 06:17 PM

e....guys, my car is still doing good, -4 degrees C now.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 07:54 AM

Question Mabe a light at the end of the tunnel?

So I had my car at the dealer yesterday for regular maintenance. I had given up on them about this issue, since I found sort of a work around. But here is the funny part… I left my car at the dealers the night before so they would have the day to get the regular maint. tasks done. I knew they were busy so said just do it before end of day and I will pick it up after work. This means my car was left out overnight, and it was a COLD night.

The next day when I called before I went in to pick it up, the service lady asked me about the noise… Which I found VERY strange. I have a feeling that they heard it that morning when they started the car, or why else would they bring it up?! Then she proceeded to tell me that they received a TSB notice to hopefully help FIX this issue! I almost fell out of my chair. She said that it involved reprograming the computer to change the way the startup sequence works and how the shifting fork behaves on start up. I got the TSB number from her, but I cannot find any info on it. I was hoping that someone in the community would be able to get some more info on it?

I was told – tsb 14-22-004

Can anyone shed some light?

I have yet to apply it to my car as they did not have time to do it. I will be doing it in the next month or so when I book an appointment for the Drive Belt/Pulley Recall.

Anyone able to share some info?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jigga12
So I had my car at the dealer yesterday for regular maintenance. I had given up on them about this issue, since I found sort of a work around. But here is the funny part… I left my car at the dealers the night before so they would have the day to get the regular maint. tasks done. I knew they were busy so said just do it before end of day and I will pick it up after work. This means my car was left out overnight, and it was a COLD night.

The next day when I called before I went in to pick it up, the service lady asked me about the noise… Which I found VERY strange. I have a feeling that they heard it that morning when they started the car, or why else would they bring it up?! Then she proceeded to tell me that they received a TSB notice to hopefully help FIX this issue! I almost fell out of my chair. She said that it involved reprograming the computer to change the way the startup sequence works and how the shifting fork behaves on start up. I got the TSB number from her, but I cannot find any info on it. I was hoping that someone in the community would be able to get some more info on it?

I was told – tsb 14-22-004

Can anyone shed some light?

I have yet to apply it to my car as they did not have time to do it. I will be doing it in the next month or so when I book an appointment for the Drive Belt/Pulley Recall.

Anyone able to share some info?

Thanks,
Mike
Miracles do happen!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:28 AM

I have been getting this recently with mine now that the weather is cold. Look forward to hearing more about this fix
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:41 PM

grind at start up

I own 2010 Ralliart and my car does this some times mostly in the cold months and only in the morning during its first start of the day. Lately the grind hasnt happen in a couple of months, ever since I watched the video about the SST. In the video they talk about what he refers to a hard start when the car tranny does not full engage into park, if you notice that when you turn your key off there is a delay to when the engine actually shut off. I think its about a .5 second or a second in that time the car puts it self into park. I have changed the way I shut my car off now, I put the car into park and pull ebrake wait 5 to 10 seconds then turn the key to the off position and wait 2 to 3 seconds and then turn the key to its final position. I have done this enough times that it how I shut my car off all the time now extra 10 to 15 seconds is worth not hearing the grind.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 08:47 PM

I have a ralliart 08 that has had this noise since I purchased the car used. Is not just a light click its a click then loud grind. Only when cold. It definantly relates to the start up programing and lack of oil pressure. Any one with some upgraded or modified start up maps that delay the shift fork test movement on start up. Monday I will be starting with transmission ECU unplugged or fuse pulled to see if noise occurs. I have already flashed s-sport mod and carried out all teach ins.I have had the trans apart 3 times now and only find the 3-4 sensor falls off the shift fork so I would be worried if you do hear start up grind because the ecu will lock out 2nd once the magnet falls off.

Last edited by sststartupgrind; Feb 14, 2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sststartupgrind
I have a ralliart 08 that has had this noise since I purchased the car used. Is not just a light click its a click then loud grind. Only when cold. It definantly relates to the start up programing and lack of oil pressure. Any one with some upgraded or modified start up maps that delay the shift fork test movement on start up. Monday I will be starting with transmission ECU unplugged or fuse pulled to see if noise occurs. I have already flashed s-sport mod and carried out all teach ins.I have had the trans apart 3 times now and only find the 3-4 sensor falls off the shift fork so I would be worried if you do hear start up grind because the ecu will lock out 2nd once the magnet falls off.
See my response below. That's how I solved the problem.

Originally Posted by Ian0611
A few posts up from yours, someone said that Mitsu has started offering a reflash to fix the problem. Try talking to your dealership. I'm not sure if anyone has worked out the coding for ECU Flash yet.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 03:03 AM

I have been unplugging fuse 3(transmission fuse) in engine bay before first start up every day and running the car for 20 seconds without the trans fuse.

Then I turn off the car fit the fuse back correctly and start it perfectly every time the car never grinds if the car already has oil pressure up to the sst oil pump.

I think even 5 seconds delay on cold start would do it in the maps just to get the oil up to the pump in the transmission before it does the preprogramed gearshifts on start up.
Im thinking of just fitting a toggle switch in the cabin.
Has any else with cronic start up grind actually got anywhere other than a new SST?

Quick Reply: SST Grind on Startup