Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CFF files (with same name, so overwrite them) and TSB with details about fix for that problem.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...lU&usp=sharing
Old Apr 11, 2015, 06:40 AM

wow thats good news. they actually did something about it
Old Apr 11, 2015, 05:31 PM

It looks like the files they gave are exact original. Searching for proper ones...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

I can't flash using pass thru can, say ecu communication error. I noticed the file is 2kb smaller than the originals
Old May 10, 2015, 12:59 AM

any other updates? my dealers said it was normal.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tell them to read and perform TSB−14−22−004.
Otherwise it's normal on some cars. Some never do it, some do it when new. Go Getrag.....
Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:17 AM

Time for silly question

Did anybody try to get rid of this nasty grind with help of TSB-14-22-004? Does it work?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:35 PM

SST Grind on Startup

Could someone help me with this noise.
I upgraded the Tcu but the sound remains the same.
What to do.

Thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by RaptorsMotors
Could someone help me with this noise.
I upgraded the Tcu but the sound remains the same.
What to do.

Thank you.

There is nothing much you can do. Our local SST technicians say that there is nothing really to worry about if the gearbox works well. I have got the latest CFF but the sound remains the same. Sometimes I get it at first start up, sometimes i don't.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my '09 Ralliart and a printout of the entire TSB-14-22-004 to the dealership, and they said my car's TCU couldn't be updated, either because it already has been, or because it simply can't be updated. They say they have no way of knowing why.

I have a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable and PassThru CAN software. Reading the info of my TCU, it reports:
ECU Part No.:8631A513
S/W Part No.:8631A5130C

So, with 8631B002.cff I should be aiming for a .flpart file to update to keep HW_PNAME at 8631A513 but update SW_PNAME to 8631A8600B, is that correct?

Or is the reason the dealer can't update it that I have a TCU that the hardware is stuck at version 8631A513 and I'd need to replace the TCU with an 8631A860 model?

**EDIT - after re-reading the TSB, it seems that it's normal for the MUT-III software to report that there are no updates available for the TCU, and it then walks you through manually selecting the files to force it to update. I suspect the tech simply stopped when it said no updates were available. It looks like I need to pay another visit to the dealership and get them to actually read and follow the darn instructions I printed out for them.

Last edited by Strangways; Oct 3, 2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 08:49 AM

Mine just did it after about a month of sitting. Difference between mine and ya'lls is that Im customed tuned by Cobb. This isnt a map issue, its a trans issue. As soon as I heard it I knew it had to be trans related. I would assume its cuz mine sat for so long but OP said his did it after just one day. Really disappointed that the SST has so many problems. The GT-R's seem to be bulletproof.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 05:03 PM

You're correct that it's not an ECU map issue. It is, however, a TCU software issue. So a similar idea - we can correct it ourselves with a software update, but I'm not 100% certain I have the correct TCU software update file and I don't want to mess things up, so I'm leaning towards having the dealership do it for me.

The transmission having problems is the #1 issue that 2009 (and some 2010) GT-R owners complain about. They seem to have gotten better over time, but just Google "GT-R transmission 2009" and you'll see mostly reports of problems. Also, note that the GT-R transmission is $20,000 to replace, and I think the TC-SST is $8,000. The truth is, every car has at least one issue that everyone complains about, whether they've had the problem or are just worried their care will develop it. In the Porsche 911 it's the IMS bearing. In Subaru STIs it's blown ringlands in the EJ engines. Be aware of the issues, do what you can to prevent them, prepare to replace them when you need to, and move on.

It's quite possible that the SST noise on startup doesn't indicate a problem, and in and of itself won't cause problems. Still, even it only contributes slightly to wear and tear on the tranny, and a (relatively) simple software update can solve it, I figure it's worth doing that update.

Last edited by Strangways; Oct 4, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:27 PM

Thanks strange. This might be a noob question but its kind of odd that this problem comes after its been sitting for while. If this is a TCU (Transmission Control Unit?) issue, why does sitting trip it? Also, my SST was tuned when my engine was tuned. Doesnt that mean the TCU has already been altered and shouldnt have stock TCU problems? One guy above says that he did the update but is still having the issue. Im not a smart man, is my logic off?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:38 PM

Just a thought. Is it possible that a clutch plate gets stuck after sitting for a period of time? And the sound we are hearing is it re-engaging after start up?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:49 PM

From the factory, the TCU in 2009 and 2010 Ralliarts and Evo MRs were programmed to do a quick check immediately after engine start to see if the car is moving. It does this by quickly engaging and then disengaging fifth gear. Every time you start the car up, you can hear the transmission do a quick "click - click" about a second after engine start, every single time you start the car.

At least, that's what you hear when the transmission is nicely lubricated. Let the car sit for a while, especially in the cold, and the transmission fluid will have settled and it won't be doing such a good job lubricating the gear selection forks and the gearshafts, so when fifth gear is engaged and disengaged, it makes that uncomfortable noise, rather than just a "click - click."

Mitsubishi changed the TCU programming for the 2011 model year to eliminate that check on startup, possibly for the primary reason that it concerned customers who didn't like their car making a sound like that. So those cars won't make the grinding noise, and they won't even make the "click - click" when they start up and are well lubricated. If your 2011 came off the production line very early on, it might still have the old TCU software.

In 2014, they issued a Technical Service Bulletin with instructions for dealerships on how to update 2009 and 2010 models with the software from 2011 models.

So the question for you is... did they actually tune your TCU? There are SST-related functions in the ECU that can be changed by a tune. Perhaps that was what your tuner changed. ECU changes are a fairly well-known thing you can do, whereas changing things within the TCU is something we don't really have full understanding and control of yet, and they are completely separate systems with their own separate software.

It seems the most common thing is simply whacking the Evo X's TCU software into a Ralliart to gain Launch Control and S-Sport. So if your tuner did actually make changes to your TCU... several dozen people here will be bugging you to get in touch with this tuner!

Now, let's say for argument's sake that they did tune your TCU software... they might have tuned the TCU software that was already on your car, which includes the startup check. What you would want is to have the newer version of the software, with the startup check removed, tuned and then uploaded to your car.

At this point, I'd say what you want is a Tactrix or other J2534-capable cable (or someone nearby with one) and Mitsubishi's PassThru CAN software to check the version of your TCU software.

Last edited by Strangways; Oct 5, 2015 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: SST Grind on Startup