Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tencents
I can't flash using pass thru can, say ecu communication error. I noticed the file is 2kb smaller than the originals
It seems the content of the 8631B002.cff files is the same, but one uses Unix-style line endings, and the other uses Windows-style, so that accounts for the size difference. But I could be wrong. Those files are both dated 2009 internally, which was before the startup grind was fixed.

I have a file called 8631B002_dio30.cff that I got from Mitsubishi's Tech Info website. Also made available by vaqusis. It is internally dated 2011. If I continue feeling brave tonight, I'm planning to flash it onto my car and see what happens.

UPDATE - it works! 8631B002_dio30.cff took 45 minutes to flash, but once it finished, the car now starts without making any transmission noises at all. No "click - click." I'll let it sit for a couple of days to make sure it doesn't make the grinding noise, but it seems I've eliminated the 5th gear check, so I fully expect I've eliminated the grinding noise.

Oh, and one note that in this or another thread, someone suggested that turning the key to "ON" and waiting several seconds before starting the engine worked to avoid the grinding noise... well, that never worked with my car. Whether it was several seconds, or many minutes in the "ON" position while I re-flashed something, I would still get the grinding noise.

To anyone who did the update and it didn't solve the problem - Did you check to make sure you're actually running the new version? I suspect that the 8631B002.cff from 2009 wouldn't fix the problem, but the 8631B002_dio30.cff from 2011 will.

(Note that all the filenames I mention are for my Ralliart. It will be different for an Evo)

Last edited by Strangways; Oct 5, 2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I find 8631B002_dio30.cff download file.

Thank you.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 05:09 AM

If you have a 2009-2012 Evo X, you want to flash 8631B001_dio30.cff instead of B002 which is only for the Ralliart.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...h-tactrix.html
Here you will find the guide, and within the SST Support Files shared folder on Google Drive, you want AMT_17800000_000204_dio30_C.cbf in the root directory, along with EvoX Files\2009 - 2012\8631B001_dio30.cff and 8631B001_dio30.flpart.

You will have to edit the .flpart file for your car, so that it will target the currently installed software on your TCU.

Last edited by Strangways; Oct 6, 2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old May 16, 2017, 06:23 PM

I have good news for you., I have the exact same issue and it isn't the starter as many thought. Start your car in NEUTRAL not PARK.The sound will go away. Manual tranny's don't have a park mode and since the SST is a manual in theory with associated electronics it appears that that addition isn't fool proof. Good luck and I love my 2008 Evo.
Old May 17, 2017, 07:22 AM

Well Mitsubishi fixed in on 2011 models through a transmission software change, and then issued a Technical Service Bulletin on updating the software on cars made before 2011. So, you could just get them to update your TCU software, or do it yourself.
Old May 17, 2017, 06:13 PM

SST grind on start-up

Originally Posted by Strangways
Well Mitsubishi fixed in on 2011 models through a transmission software change, and then issued a Technical Service Bulletin on updating the software on cars made before 2011. So, you could just get them to update your TCU software, or do it yourself.
Good info but many have tried the update (see threads) without success on this grinding. Therefore, I recommend just put the car in neutral at start and there will be no noise. I'm checking with Kozmic in Texas, as they are experts on this SST and await their response as to cause.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ResourceX
Good info but many have tried the update (see threads) without success on this grinding. Therefore, I recommend just put the car in neutral at start and there will be no noise. I'm checking with Kozmic in Texas, as they are experts on this SST and await their response as to cause.
Originally Posted by ResourceX
I have good news for you., I have the exact same issue and it isn't the starter as many thought. Start your car in NEUTRAL not PARK.The sound will go away. Manual tranny's don't have a park mode and since the SST is a manual in theory with associated electronics it appears that that addition isn't fool proof. Good luck and I love my 2008 Evo.
I have tried putting it in neutral, letting the car sit for a little bit in the ON position then starting it up with no success. It still does the grind noise, but not every time. Sometimes I can leave it overnight (10+ hours) and start it up when its 60 degrees out with no noise at all. Other times I leave it sit for only three hours and it makes the horrible grinding noise. I've tried putting it in neutral when starting it up then shutting it off when its in neutral.

Dealer told me the TCU is up to date but I am not positive it actually is and might try to flash the ..._dio30.cff and see if that makes the noise go away.

My SST has been gone through by a technician and has all new clutches, shift forks, relearn/teach in performed on it. There shouldn't be any noise.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by harukari
Dealer told me the TCU is up to date but I am not positive it actually is and might try to flash the ..._dio30.cff and see if that makes the noise go away.
The instructions for dealers from Mitsubishi specifically state that the MUT-III or MEDIC system will report the TCU is up to date, but it actually isn't. They need to manually select the files and force the update. My local dealership was too stupid to follow the very clear instructions, complete with lots of pretty little pictures with big arrows showing where to click. So I did the update myself, and it worked perfectly after that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 03:42 PM

The instructions for dealers from Mitsubishi specifically state that the MUT-III or MEDIC system will report the TCU is up to date, but it actually isn't. They need to manually select the files and force the update. My local dealership was too stupid to follow the very clear instructions, complete with lots of pretty little pictures with big arrows showing where to click. So I did the update myself, and it worked perfectly after that.
Good to hear there is some hope of fixing this.

I​​​​​​ might just go ahead and do it myself. The stealership took $79 to tell me that the tcu was already up to date after I gave them the TSB pdf.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 04:00 AM

just gona let u guys know that i never found a fix for mine.
even after the box was stripped. had shift fork failure. replaced all clutches with dodson sportsman. had the mech replaced with a brand new one and updated to latest software. new clutch basket new everything except for the gear clusters. even some seals were changed that didnt even need changing.
still grinds on cold start lol. ended up blowing the oil pump in the box and replaced the box with a secondhand one. works fine now...lol.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by klonez
just gona let u guys know that i never found a fix for mine.
even after the box was stripped. had shift fork failure. replaced all clutches with dodson sportsman. had the mech replaced with a brand new one and updated to latest software. new clutch basket new everything except for the gear clusters. even some seals were changed that didnt even need changing.
still grinds on cold start lol. ended up blowing the oil pump in the box and replaced the box with a secondhand one. works fine now...lol.
So you're saying the only way to fix this is to replace the entire sst with a new one?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 02:09 AM

dispite it grinding alot and very loudly, i noticed no damage internally. my shift fork did bend tho. so im not really sure how it got bent. its unknown if the grinding caused the shift fork to bend. but after changing all those parts the grinding was less servere.
i would say just live with it. i didnt see any damage to gear clusters or extra wear on my clutches.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:19 PM

I managed to flash my tcu to 8631A8270B and it still does the noise. I think something else could be wrong like low or high line pressure, the tsb that claims ..8270B is the new file for a 2010 evo but it doesn't change anything. I would like to see what the 2011 software would do but I'm scared that would break the tcu because it's meant for a different hardware part number.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

My dealer says there is no TSB-14-22-004 outstanding on my '09 RA. I'm bringing it in tomorrow hoping I can get them to force the update.

My RA has 198000km (123000mi) on it. Lately the weather has been quite warm and was grinding more frequent on startup in the afternoon after sitting all day (30C or 86F, flat ground parking lot). I've not experienced the cold start grinding as many have in the morning after sitting all night. Aside from the grinding the last few weeks during the hot weather, it hasn't been doing it for a while.

It's been a while but the grinding was however occurring during late afternoon start ups when my car was sitting in the driveway all day, warm or cold temp. The one remedy that did help was when I backed my car up the driveway, before shifting from R to P (while depressing the brakes) I would pull up the parking brakes. Once the car was stopped with the parking brakes I would shift from R to P. By taking the load off the transmission and engine through the parking brakes, seems to have helped things.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Took my RA for fluid changes (flush TCSST, differentials) and the mechanic ran the car through the TEACH-IN process...so far so good the grinding on start up has stopped The weather was really hot for a few days afterwards (30C or 86F) and still nothing!
You can obviously hear that after start up the tranny will in the past go through 2 clicks (shift fork moving?) before the grinding occurs, but now the tranny only does the first click.
Besides eliminating the grinding the slipping in first gear has gone away too. The TEACH-IN process has definitely helped things.

Quick Reply: SST Grind on Startup