Notices

Jacks Transmission upgrade, worth it?

Old May 30, 2013, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacks Transmission upgrade, worth it?

So I have been doing some reading on the complete sst upgrade and 600hp clutch pack from Jacks. But one thing im wondering is if its worth the ~$5,600. Has anybody here done the full sst service and upgrade the clutch packs? I will be doing a motor build and an fp red in the future. So is it worth the money to get the full rebuild and packs on the sst or just upgrade the clutch? I know its a lot of cash for the Jacks route, and that cash could be spent on other stuff. I wanna hear what you guys have to say...
Old May 30, 2013, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

How much is the most expensive SSP kit. $4900. I will still go with Jack's transmission.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Are you talking about the Titan Stage 5 package? If so then yeah, i would still opt for the Jacks option. Because the rebuild the entire tranny "eliminating" future problems and redo the synchros with thier own method and install clutch packs of your choice and they claim to offer a lifetime warranty on their sst rebuilds. Im really leaning toward the Jacks rebuild and clutch pack. Just cant see myself spending $5,600 on it. Feel like i should save cash and just get the clutch packs and spend the saved money on an sst cooler and ssp deep oil pan. But thats why i started this thread, to see what others have to say.
Old May 31, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Lifetime warranty!?!?!?! What's the catch?
Old May 31, 2013, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Correction: their web site says "full warranty" not lifetime warranty. Idk what the differance would be or what catches there are.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Subi.convert
Lifetime warranty!?!?!?! What's the catch?
lol true that
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:20 PM

ive dealt with both SSP and Jack's. Jack's was trained by SSP techs to be able to service them is what i bfelieve one of the reps told me. They have the same hardware (clutches and seals) manufactured by SSP, only thing different is Jack's has the full service available and backs their work up.

I had my Clutch pack just sent off to SSP to build with new seals and clutches, and mine was great with ~500whp 450tq. Only thing is if something went wrong with it, i woulda had to pay it all over again if something broke. Whereas Jack's would re-service for you. And Jacks actually opens up everything in the tranny and inspects, so if u have some mileage on it, send it to jacks. I just went with a quicker route seeing as i tore up my 500hp clutches and just needed new ones.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:27 PM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FazdaGTZ
ive dealt with both SSP and Jack's. Jack's was trained by SSP techs to be able to service them is what i bfelieve one of the reps told me. They have the same hardware (clutches and seals) manufactured by SSP, only thing different is Jack's has the full service available and backs their work up.

I had my Clutch pack just sent off to SSP to build with new seals and clutches, and mine was great with ~500whp 450tq. Only thing is if something went wrong with it, i woulda had to pay it all over again if something broke. Whereas Jack's would re-service for you. And Jacks actually opens up everything in the tranny and inspects, so if u have some mileage on it, send it to jacks. I just went with a quicker route seeing as i tore up my 500hp clutches and just needed new ones.
Hello! Thought I would chime in here.

We were not trained by SSP to perform builds to the SST. We do use some of the SSP parts for our builds, but we build them our own way.

The way the clutches are measured and clearanced, how the damper is rebuilt, and how we set up the synchros are unique compared to anyone else out there.

We actually measure and set up the clutches as an assembly and check the clearances of the clutches by engaging and disengaging the clutches manually. This allows us to get a more accurate measurement and to assure both clutch sets are moving the same distance in exactly the same fashion. The TCU for the SST is not intelligent enough to adjust each clutch separately, so we have to be sure they are both exactly the same so you get the same shift quality between the odd and even clutches. Measuring everything the way most do is not very accurate and can cause issues. We had to come up with our own way to assure it's truly perfect.

We like the SSP clutches as they have proven to us that they live and work far better than any other clutch for the SST on the market. We also like their external filters too, but that's all we use from them. The rest is of our own design and built by us in-house.

A full warranty means we cover everything in the trans and clutch areas of the unit. With the SST you have 2 systems- The clutch assembly and the trans assembly. When you get a full build, we are rebuilding and going through the whole unit, not just the clutch section. Due to this, we are able to warranty the whole unit.

Look at it this way, if someone replaces the clutch in your manual transmission car, they are not rebuilding your trans and will not offer a warranty on the trans. It's the same with the SST. If we replace the clutch, we will warranty our clutch, but not the trans section as that was not touched. Make sense?

If we rebuild the whole unit, you get a warranty on the whole unit. If we rebuild the clutch only, you get a warranty on the clutch only.

I have purchased a Mitsu with the SST for our test-mule for some new parts we are developing. We are hoping to come out with tested and proven parts which will greatly reduce the rebuild costs of the SST and give you that neat DCT shift we would all love to have in them. The SST for a DCT is very sluggish and feels like a torque converter automatic. We hope to change that here shortly and make it feel like a true manual like those of us enthusiasts wish it could be.

I currently have some new prototype parts in my car that I have been putting miles on and it feels soooo much better! The shifts are nice and firm and engage quicker. There are still some things i need to refine, but it's getting exciting! We hope to have some new and exciting things for the SST here shortly for our customers.

Thanks!!

Jack
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
Hello! Thought I would chime in here.
[...].

Jack

What about launching? Would it be able to launch more without harming the transmission?

And when you have the prototypes ready for us, I would like to be the first few to have them on the evo, so keep us informed!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the update jack. Will look into it. I also agree more people are afraid of the costs of owning an SST DCT than losing the regular manual. I for one fear on day my tranny will give out just because its a relatively new technology being put in everyday cars although it has been developed for race cars since the 60-70's. If you guys could some how find a way to reduce the costs of upgrading/ repairing these units it would be a LEAP in the right direction.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
Gold Sponsor

Yes, things are looking very good for a big drop in our pricing here soon. I have some new parts that make more sense and will work well for those looking to just get their unit fixed or upgraded.

I am trying to find a way to manipulate the clutch engagement during a launch to be able to work without so much slip. It's the slip that kills the trans as more slip = more heat and wear. The unit that was in my test-mule I was able to get to launch really hard. It was too hard though and I need to make some adjustments and try again. Right now it feels like someone is side-stepping the clutch on the launch in a manual car! It's pretty neat and this SST probably launches harder than any other DCT in existence, but it's just too harsh and will break other things in the car in time. We don't want that, but it's on the right track.

Jack

Last edited by Jacks Transmissions; Jun 12, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
Yes, things are looking very good for a big drop in our pricing here soon.
Jack
How soon are we talking??
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
Gold Sponsor

It's very difficult to say. It all depends on how everything works in the test-mule first. Could be a month to 3 months before we know for sure. I don't want to add anything out there without full testing first.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:15 PM

Jack - going to leave you a voicemail at the shop, but will try back again in a moment as well.

I'm in the middle of what is currently one of the top 2 or 3 MR builds on the continent and need to speak with you personally about what you're doing with the SST. My trans is being pulled next week and I am currently planing on sending it Sheps to work with their Dodson Sportsman kit. If what you're currently working on will be available shortly my car will be available to put it through the paces.

2.15L, Borg Warner EFR 8374 kit, pump gas + meth and potentially a C16 race gas tune as well. The car is a DD so it'll get beat on. I need whatever the best is that I can get.

Sorry to thread jack (hah, Jack) but need to get in there asap.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jacks FTW~!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jacks Transmission upgrade, worth it?