Notices

SST leak

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST leak

Hey guys, having a little trouble tracking this leak down. Hoping I can figure it out without getting the dealer involved. Here are some pictures, any ideas? I have searched and can't find anything similar so I'm out of ideas. Car only has 4k miles on it, 2013, no mods. It appears to be leaking from the top of protruding section pictured in the second photo. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails SST leak-img_3832.jpg   SST leak-img_3835.jpg   SST leak-img_3841.jpg   SST leak-img_3842.jpg  
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:40 AM

Just an update on this, I took it to the dealer this morning because I was all out of ideas. The car is completely stock with only 4k miles on it. They told me the "holes" (circled below) were the source of the leak. They said the metal is "thin" in that area and it is probably just "seeping out". The service manager said they contacted a rep for the area and they had never seen a leak similar to this before. Their solution was to seal the holes with "something thick, like J-B weld" (yes, that is a direct quote). I am not sure how to proceed at this point but I figured I would use this thread as a timeline of sorts in case anyone else runs into this same problem. Any ideas/comments are more than welcome at this point, as I am just astonished at this point.

Attached Thumbnails SST leak-img_3835.jpg  
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
man i would be throwing a fit... you are going to jb weld my 40 k car and expect me to be happy no way thats not going to fly.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
man i would be throwing a fit... you are going to jb weld my 40 k car and expect me to be happy no way thats not going to fly.
Thanks man, I wasn't sure if I was overreacting. I'll give mitsubishi customer service a call tomorrow and see what they say. Sounds like this will be interesting and I hope it's not a sign of things to come lol
Old Dec 1, 2014, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck ! keep us updated! If anything if they expect you to settle with a repair like that i would ask for some warranty extension then or something..
Old Dec 3, 2014, 04:31 PM

They will be replacing the unit next week. Mist tech line said they had never seen one like this. If anyone else runs across this thread in the future feel free to PM me and I will help as much as I can.

Big shout out to Jack's and Kozmic, I emailed both and they were extremely helpful and offered me as much info as they could. I will definitely be contacting them for any and all trans work I need done in the future; and I recommend anyone considering either of them to not hesitate. Thanks again!

Last edited by Chris48559; Dec 3, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chris48559
Just an update on this, I took it to the dealer this morning because I was all out of ideas. The car is completely stock with only 4k miles on it. They told me the "holes" (circled below) were the source of the leak. They said the metal is "thin" in that area and it is probably just "seeping out". The service manager said they contacted a rep for the area and they had never seen a leak similar to this before. Their solution was to seal the holes with "something thick, like J-B weld" (yes, that is a direct quote). I am not sure how to proceed at this point but I figured I would use this thread as a timeline of sorts in case anyone else runs into this same problem. Any ideas/comments are more than welcome at this point, as I am just astonished at this point.

This is my biggest argument every time I read someone say the proper way to replace the SST Fluid is to replace what you drain out instead of utilizing the overflow plug that was engineering into the transmission.. The first time I ever replaced my fluid, my filter housing was wet and the o-ring was almost gone. Granted the transmission did not lose a lot of fluid but it definitely had less than specified.
Old May 16, 2017, 05:16 AM

Hate to bump an old thread, but my '11 ralliart all stock is doing this same thing. Leaking above the axle, out of those two bolts. The dealer I bought the car from won't say anything about it. Taking to Skyline Mitsubishi in Denver. They're already awesome for those that are around the 303 area.
Old May 16, 2017, 09:31 AM

Update For those that have this same problem in the future-

No cracks. David from Kozmic was awesome. Definitely knew what he was talking about. The two Allen bolts that are above the driver side axle hold the bearings inside the trans case. They have a little ledge or step-up on them and they sometimes leak. A dab of anaerobic sealant or rtv on the outside of it and wah lah. Fixed. Only back one out at a time (recommended by kozmic).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bump an old thread. I just bought a 15 EVO X MR with 22k miles on it. I went ahead to do the SST fluid as well as the rest of the drivetrain. Noticed also oil around the same area. Very light, but wet. I also noticed oil on top, so not sure where specifically it is leaking from or not. I did the clean the area. I will check again after a week of driving and see. I do still have warranty and the car is stock. I would assume my best approach is to take it in IF it's leaking.

Thanks