Notices

Intermittent P183D //Shift fork 2 malfunction

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intermittent P183D //Shift fork 2 malfunction

Hey guys, I'm going to be as concise as I possibly can with this intermittent issue.

Mods: Tsudo single exit cat-back
K&N drop in filter

I don't want to put anymore of my other mods on until this problem gets sorted out.
************************************************** ****************************** ************************
This typically happens when I'm in stop and go traffic, driving in S-Sport/Manual mode. The car will randomly lose all of the odd gears until I come to a COMPLETE stop at which point the Service Transmission light will go off and the odd gears will come back. This happens RANDOMLY regardless of weather, how long the car has been running, distance etc. It does NOT happen every day, and I could go days or even weeks without it coming back up.

As far as I can tell with my troubleshooting, this only happens in S-Sport/Manual mode. In normal and sport, auto or manual, the car runs right as rain and the trans is fine. Anyone else experience this?

I bought the car used from the Mitsubishi dealer and they included a warranty with it. I've already been up to the dealer and since the light is intermittent, they can't do anything, but wait for it to stick. I was lucky enough to grab my tactrix cable and pull the code since traffic was slow enough and got the P183D code.

Last edited by Rado_93; Jun 11, 2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rado_93
Hey guys, I'm going to be as concise as I possibly can with this intermittent issue.

Mods: Tsudo single exit cat-back
K&N drop in filter

I don't want to put anymore of my other mods on until this problem gets sorted out.
************************************************** ****************************** ************************
This typically happens when I'm in stop and go traffic, driving in S-Sport/Manual mode. The car will randomly lose all of the odd gears until I come to a COMPLETE stop at which point the Service Transmission light will go off and the odd gears will come back. This happens RANDOMLY regardless of weather, how long the car has been running, distance etc. It does NOT happen every day, and I could go days or even weeks without it coming back up.

As far as I can tell with my troubleshooting, this only happens in S-Sport/Manual mode. In normal and sport, auto or manual, the car runs right as rain and the trans is fine. Anyone else experience this?

I bought the car used from the Mitsubishi dealer and they included a warranty with it. I've already been up to the dealer and since the light is intermittent, they can't do anything, but wait for it to stick. I was lucky enough to grab my tactrix cable and pull the code since traffic was slow enough and got the P183D code.
Hi mate did you ever find the problem? I have a Peugeot 4007 which is actually just an outlander with a Peugeot Diesel engine. it has a getrag DCS 6sp auto transmission which I'm not sure if it shares this with any mitsubishis or not. Anyway I have the same issue and it is 99% of the time on a windy road but has also happened driving through town slowly and driving on the highway also. I have done 2000km interstate trips where it hasn't missed a beat, only to get home and it happens 3 times driving 70kms to work. Anyone have any idea at all? 'Transmission service required' warning comes up on the screen and the car goes into limp mode. when I switch the car off and on again everything is fine again. It never gives any warning, no noises, vibration, sluggishness, nothing. It never stores any transmission related codes either. the transmission and oil filter was replaced after the first time it happened and the gearbox always seems to work faultless.
Cheers
Cheers
Old Sep 17, 2019, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently got P183D- shift fork 2 malfunction. For each shift fork, there's a magnet that aligns with a sensor to confirm shifts. The magnet gets loose over time- poor design by Getrag.
If the magnet is even a mm off, the TC-SST thinks the shift fork movement that was supposed to happen didnt, throws a warning code and freaks out. There isnt currently a good fix for that shift fork magnet, but Kozmic Motorsports is working on it.