Notices

About to switch to Pentosin FFL-2...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation About to switch to Pentosin FFL-2...

So I've read a ton of different threads on a couple different forums about the SST and how aftermarket fluid affects it, possible leak issues posted by jacks, as well as the potential for it eating away at the TCU coating. However I've talked to a couple other people familiar with electronics and any kind of oil submerged electronic components and i was told there usually should be no issue. Also never saw another post from jacks talking about re-testing fluids with rebuilt trans. (Not calling him out on it, just the whole thing wasnt sufficiently convincing and informative for me in particular.) What I notice is that all the people who originally mentioned using aftermarket fluid with no issues have stopped discussing and chiming into discussion of the subject...I'm curious if anyone has been using ffl-2 with still no issues for a long time? When i was getting car tuned, i was told that there is some clutch slipping and that tranny fluid change may help resolve the issue but it's not for sure. If it doesn't i will eventually replace clutch packs and all that, just gotta save up the pennies lol...i did get the ffl-2 for $260 shipped for 13 quarts so that's def a muuuch better cost than the Diaqueen...also got new paper filter from SSP and plan on getting it flushed and filled. Car is on 45,000 miles and haven't changed fluid since i got it 6 months ago. Any informative input would be great guys....not trying to start up an argument and to be criticized for trying it, just want some objective info....thanks a lot!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:56 PM

I have been running it since late 2012 and I haven't had any issues about 15,000. Now I don't know of any internal damage. I just DD and do a little pull here and there car has about 300awhp. I feel it has serve its purpose but I'm looking to replace fluid. I have been using the ssp filter since the change as well.

when I first read the the threads it scared me but I stuck it out and I have been doing 0 to 60 pulls every now and then to see if I could notice something and i haven't. I hit 4.3-4.6secs. I don't believe thats scince just what I did to check.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:11 AM

From my perspective.

You might be fine at a lower horsepower level. I did FFL-2 in my trans a while back and my first strange symptom was surging while cruising. Then the trans started slipping under load on pump gas with a 5858. At the time I was around 458whp on a conservative tune, I have dodson clubspec clutches. I knew the clutches could hold more, so I swapped back to diaqueen. This resolved my slipping and surging issues. I'm now at 33psi with a 6262 and no slipping on diaqueen. All of my issues were caused by the FFL-2.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by tons0torque
From my perspective.

You might be fine at a lower horsepower level. I did FFL-2 in my trans a while back and my first strange symptom was surging while cruising. Then the trans started slipping under load on pump gas with a 5858. At the time I was around 458whp on a conservative tune, I have dodson clubspec clutches. I knew the clutches could hold more, so I swapped back to diaqueen. This resolved my slipping and surging issues. I'm now at 33psi with a 6262 and no slipping on diaqueen. All of my issues were caused by the FFL-2.
Oh yeah im def way below that number lol...im at 250whp/292wtq so when i bump that all up gonna be new clutchpacks and go from there...maybe try ffl-3 or whatnot....Have you tried ffl-3 or ffl-4...from what i've learned those are for higher load applications like yours.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:22 PM

No sir, after my experience with ffl-2 I thought I better just stick with OEM.

Originally Posted by blkdrgn09
Oh yeah im def way below that number lol...im at 250whp/292wtq so when i bump that all up gonna be new clutchpacks and go from there...maybe try ffl-3 or whatnot....Have you tried ffl-3 or ffl-4...from what i've learned those are for higher load applications like yours.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:00 PM

I had similar issues as tons0torque within about 3-5k miles of switching to FFL-2. I can't guarantee the fluid is what the problem was but that was Jack's opinion on the matter. I had the SST sent out to them to get rebuilt and have the 500hp SSP clutch packs installed. I also swapped back to diaqueen at the same time and quit having the problems. I know it's significantly more expensive but I'd rather just suck it up if the other fluids are messing with the coating on the $2k TCU (if that's what is actually happening).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't do it. The best SST builders/tuners in the world recommend staying away from everything but OEM & the SSP gold stuff.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
Don't do it. The best SST builders/tuners in the world recommend staying away from everything but OEM & the SSP gold stuff.
Well already did...so far about 200 miles and no issues...time will tell...ill keep you guys posted if something does go wrong.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the EXACT P/N of the Audi/VW DSG fluid that has proven to work:

G 052 182 A2

It is listed as a Pentosin FFL-2 derivative. You will also find it listed on the "other" forum as an SSTF-1 derivative. I am not sure what to make of that, honestly.

Straight FFL-2 does appear to do damage over the long haul. It is NOT advisable to use anything other than a manufacturer specific fluid.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The ffl4 sounds like it would have been a better experiment. I'm not sure if BMW's use getrag dual clutch transmissions though.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...MoEaArgp8P8HAQ

Fred beans parts has gallons of sstf-1 for 122 bucks, and the price quoted above isn't much different. Not sure i'd experiment with something unproven to save 5-10 bucks
Old Sep 7, 2014, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Using FFL in an SST is a very expensive mistake.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 04:05 PM

How did everything end up working out?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Betts, that's the thing there has been no prolonged research personal or otherwise. Just a bunch of opinions and nobody ever follows up on what negative results, if any, have occurred. I am in Germany where I can't get Mitsubishi fluids for an Evo. The Mitsubishi dealerships I've taken my Evo to have never seen an Evo in person and are amazed when it pulls into their dealership. The mechanics come out in awe. So, if there are proven alternatives I'd like to know...Hopefully someone chimes in.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 06:25 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by ultm8mind
Betts, that's the thing there has been no prolonged research personal or otherwise. Just a bunch of opinions and nobody ever follows up on what negative results, if any, have occurred. I am in Germany where I can't get Mitsubishi fluids for an Evo. The Mitsubishi dealerships I've taken my Evo to have never seen an Evo in person and are amazed when it pulls into their dealership. The mechanics come out in awe. So, if there are proven alternatives I'd like to know...Hopefully someone chimes in.
Kozmic's advice is not an opinion. He is one of a few shops in the US that specialize in the SST. The reason people are still saying to only use Diaqueen, 4 years after the car has even been in production, is because there is no alternative. At least not available in the U.S.

If I'm not mistaken the trans was made by getrag in Germany, maybe you can call up their customer service line and ask them about it.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It is a Getrag box, and there is a reason Kozmic only recommends OEM. The OEM fluid isn't even expensive.
ultm8mind, hit up Ross Sport. They're in the UK and carry the OEM fluid, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue to get the fluid shipped to you.

Quick Reply: About to switch to Pentosin FFL-2...