EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Mitsubishi TC-SST Discussion (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mitsubishi-tc-sst-discussion-307/)
-   -   Which driving mode causes least wear on TC-SST? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mitsubishi-tc-sst-discussion/509841-driving-mode-causes-least-wear-tc-sst.html)

skiracer Aug 19, 2010 11:47 AM

Which driving mode causes least wear on TC-SST?

Just wondering which shifting mode would be the least wear & tear on the clutch packs and tranny in daily and bumper to bumper driving.

I'm assuming Sport mode since Normal mode slips the clutches more?

Bom's Evo Aug 19, 2010 01:14 PM

Anything in manual mode.

Manual mode sport would probably be the least amount of slippage.
Having it in manual you can control when to downshift and not.
Changing gears less frequently = less wear.

lousEVOxmr Aug 19, 2010 04:38 PM

i dont want to be a smart as^ but in PARK!

it cost me big bucks lol.... you just never know when that trans is going to go belly up

jackygor Aug 20, 2010 05:01 PM

i heard s-sport mode manual

Optiblue Aug 20, 2010 05:24 PM

This is going to be an epic thread! But many have said that S-Sport since there's less wear on the clutches. In my personal experience with stop and go traffic, Super sport mode seems to suddenly disengage when coming to a stop and then slams on the clutches when you press the gas again. Speaking strictly from a 5speed tranny perspective, sure the clutch may wear less, but just about everything else will probably take a beating. Currently, if I'm at a stop and go traffic situation, I say forget it and just use normal. If I know the car won't need to stop as much, then flip the switch to Sport and then back to Normal when I'm at a stop. If I'm going to be in a all highway situation w/o much stopping, then super sport.

If you're going to race / auto X, then Super Sport with ASC OFF OFF :)

Unlike a true manual car, you can't adjust the modes with your brain, so some play around with the switch is necessary IMO.

skiracer Aug 20, 2010 07:10 PM

I'm usually in Manual-Sport mode in stop n' go traffic. I was thinking S-Sport might be too harsh on the tranny in regular driving even though it has the least amt of clutch slip? I guess this could have a lot of good arguments on either end. What's your opinion?

Madrican Aug 31, 2010 11:16 PM

Wow, I was thinking everyone was going to say manual w/normal. I had no idea that there was more clutch slip in normal.

migs647 Sep 12, 2010 08:05 AM

My personal favorite is Manual mode / Sport. Normal slips the clutches a bit more to assist in a slow take off. Super sport has a very aggressive clamping speed which is took jerky for daily driving. Sport seems to be just right.

I usually turn ASC off by 1 as well.

Lancerally_Mick Sep 12, 2010 08:32 AM

OK so you're telling me when I'm in manual mode, normal/sport/s-sport has really an effect ? ...

I never drive in D-mode, and keeping it in normal ( for that damn cruise that can be set ) and when I WOT in manual, the car feel the same thing that when you take your hour to set ASC-OFF/OFF and Drive in s-sport ...

Im missing something here...

migs647 Sep 12, 2010 08:34 AM

I'm not telling you that. Normal definitely has a delayed clamping time which promotes more slipping. This is to make for a smooth take off. Like slipping a manual clutch when taking off. No one has any scientific data of how much damage the slipping causes though. It may be very minimal.

Lancerally_Mick Sep 12, 2010 09:20 AM

I'll check on that, not that Im scepticable, but I never seen any difference yet.

migs647 Sep 12, 2010 09:28 AM

That's the whole point of switching modes in manual. Clamping speed and how much rev matching is done.

lousEVOxmr Sep 15, 2010 09:58 AM

ill say it again ..

PARK IT!!!lol

phraust Sep 16, 2010 01:48 AM

Wow, and here I've been driving in normal. I never tried S-sport yet, never got the chance to.

Webman Sep 21, 2010 08:22 AM

I still say I don't feel any difference between normal, sport, and s-sport when in manual mode. They all feel identical. I've even gone as far as to do the exact same takeoff, 3 times in a row in different modes. I just don't feel any difference anywhere when in manual mode.

This is one of those things where IMO, it's a placebo effect. You're pushing a switch and changing a mode that may not be changing anything, but mentally you think it's changing. I'd love to know if someone who says they feel the difference, could pick out the mode in a blind test.

I have considered calling Mitsubishi and seeing if I can get a definitive answer from engineering about it.