Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road-racing must-have's and rules to race in a closed-ring road-course?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road-racing must-have's and rules to race in a closed-ring road-course?

Does anyone know all the add-on's that are required to race in a closed-ring road-course? ex. Roll Cage (4pt, 6pt...etc.) Also, what power mods are you allowed and not allowed?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

I would recommend that you contact SCCA or NASA and get their rules for sanctioned road racing.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

yeah im with him, judging from your choice in words to ask your question, no offense, i think you need to do some research.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by leif
yeah im with him, judging from your choice in words to ask your question, no offense, i think you need to do some research.
Ok, well I could have mentioned MSR (Motorsports Ranch) but you wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about. I not interested in racing in SCCA where you only sit in 2nd gear. I'm talking about running threw 4th gear in the straights and racing around with GT2's, GT3's, Viper's, Vette's....etc. A roadcourse, you know a closed in track.......I hope that clears things up for ya.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDM_EVOVIII
Ok, well I could have mentioned MSR (Motorsports Ranch) but you wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about. I not interested in racing in SCCA where you only sit in 2nd gear. I'm talking about running threw 4th gear in the straights and racing around with GT2's, GT3's, Viper's, Vette's....etc. A roadcourse, you know a closed in track.......I hope that clears things up for ya.
Um, the SCCA doesnt just do autocrosses. They host a bunch of different race series', same with NASA.

From your posts it sounds like you have never been on a track before. I would suggest doing a LOT of HPDE's (those are track events where you have an instructor, it is NOT racing) and getting a lot of experience on a track before you even think about getting into racing. Search on here and learn about HPDE's and track events then post again if you have any more specific questions.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:02 PM

Evos can race in NASA's USTCC and Super Unlimited, or SCCA T2 and ITE.

All the classes require safety equipment, including but not limited to:
Roll Cage built to GCR/CCR specs
Fire Protection
Racing Seat
Racing Harness
Window Net
Removable steering wheel
tow hooks
drive shaft loops
oil breather overflow
roll bar padding
+ lots more...read the rules

Then its a matter of how much you want to modify the car.

T2 allows the least modification, limited to a few things including ecu, shocks, and tires.

USTCC allows coilovers with remote resevoir shocks, light weight panels, lexan, fuel cells, and more.

ITE and Super Unlimited are basically open classes, allowing any modifications as long as all the safety equipment is there.

Last edited by SF-VIII-RS; Nov 4, 2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52
Um, the SCCA doesnt just do autocrosses. They host a bunch of different race series', same with NASA.

From your posts it sounds like you have never been on a track before. I would suggest doing a LOT of HPDE's (those are track events where you have an instructor, it is NOT racing) and getting a lot of experience on a track before you even think about getting into racing. Search on here and learn about HPDE's and track events then post again if you have any more specific questions.
I mentioned SCCA in that text b/c just about everyone associates that type racing. (coned instructional type road-racing when your in 2nd gear the whole damn time) I've ran those types in my Type R and my GSR. I mentioned that and a generic term. For you information, why don't you look up motorsports ranch and their website and you'll see what I'm talking about. They do instructing, but you would have known this if you'd done your homework and read before running your mouth about what I've done or what I know. I am aware of the restriction of a FWD N/A car that's entering in a specific sanctioning body and what my requirements for my Type R were. I'm asking simply for my EVO. If you don't know, just say, "I don't know and I am here to find out". That's what I'm doing. To SF-VIII-RS, thank you! Bro, I've been racing illegaly and legaly for 13 years from go-carts to shifter-carts to fwd n/a to IDRC. I didn't buy an EVO to be a dyno queen.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I mentioned SCCA in that text b/c just about everyone associates that type racing. (coned instructional type road-racing when your in 2nd gear the whole damn time) I've ran those types in my Type R and my GSR. I mentioned that and a generic term. For you information, why don't you look up motorsports ranch and their website and you'll see what I'm talking about. They do instructing, but you would have known this if you'd done your homework and read before running your mouth about what I've done or what I know. I am aware of the restriction of a FWD N/A car that's entering in a specific sanctioning body and what my requirements for my Type R were. I'm asking simply for my EVO. If you don't know, just say, "I don't know and I am here to find out". That's what I'm doing. To SF-VIII-RS, thank you! Bro, I've been racing illegaly and legaly for 13 years from go-carts to shifter-carts to fwd n/a to IDRC. I didn't buy an EVO to be a dyno queen.
Brian -

You're an idiot.

"Motorsports Ranch" which I have not looked up on the internet, is a road course, I assume. There are 7 road courses in California and 3 in Nevada. I have run on all but one of them. You need to do some research. The idea that you stay in 2nd gear in SCCA races ought to be news to Kent Jordan, who won every single NorCal region ITE class race this season, setting course records and blowing away the competition, which included Vipers, Porsches, M3s etc. etc. etc. I think he used 4th gear quite a lot.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Brian -

You're an idiot.

"Motorsports Ranch" which I have not looked up on the internet, is a road course, I assume. There are 7 road courses in California and 3 in Nevada. I have run on all but one of them. You need to do some research. The idea that you stay in 2nd gear in SCCA races ought to be news to Kent Jordan, who won every single NorCal region ITE class race this season, setting course records and blowing away the competition, which included Vipers, Porsches, M3s etc. etc. etc. I think he used 4th gear quite a lot.
1st off......if you read carefully, the 2nd gear comment was not talking about MSR stupid! MSR is where we run with Vipers, Porsches, M3s....etc. I'm talking about not being in a road-race where your coned off (similar to an instructional course) and you don't get up to speeds passed your 2nd gear. Damn, your annoying and dislexic...
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

This may help:

I not interested in racing in SCCA where you only sit in 2nd gear. I'm talking about running threw 4th gear in the straights and racing around with GT2's, GT3's, Viper's, Vette's....etc. A roadcourse, you know a closed in track.......I hope that clears things up for ya.
Yeah, I hope it does clear things up
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

You, know what, nevermind.........this is exhausting. I'm tired of *****ing with stupid people.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

dont get mad..it is ok to be a newbie
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moab3man
dont get mad..it is ok to be a newbie
Not a newbie by any means. Maybe I just need to request for only educated responses that actually help the person asking, not talking trash like they know them. This forum is turning into a real flaming type of forum.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

If you're not a newbie, wouldn't you already know the answers to your questions?

You're question is very generic and it's hard to give an answer to something when we don't know what exactly it is you're going to do. I can assume you're planning on driving an Evo, but you haven't stated that either.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Uh, okay. Your initial post is two sentences and is worded as though you have never been on a track before. Closed-ring road-course? Im sorry, but Ive never heard anyone use this term before, it sounds like you just made it up. You follow that with your post saying you arent interested in SCCA because you, "sit in 2nd gear." Again, this is not something I would expect to hear from a seasoned track veteran. The SCCA is pretty well-known for their race series as well as autocrossing.

You said, "I could mention Motorsports Ranch but you wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about." Alright, how about clueing us in as to what that is (www.motorsportranch.com I assume?) and why you mentioned it? How many times have you been there? Are you a instructor? When you posted that I assumed you were using it as a reference for us to know what kind of track you were talking about. Are we supposed to guess at your level of experience?

I was trying to be helpful with my post so Im not sure why you decided to get so hostile. I have seen plenty of noobies post threads like this when they have absolutely no track experience. I thought you were one of these and I was trying to steer you in the correct direction.

Quick Reply: Road-racing must-have's and rules to race in a closed-ring road-course?