Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Balancing: r compounds vs. street tires

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Balancing: r compounds vs. street tires

If I have my balanced perfectly with R888 or Hankook Z214s, then I put some Advan Neovas on, shouldn't it still be balanced? Also, shouldn't a balanced car remain so in wet conditions?

By balanced, I'm referring to minimal oversteer OR understeer: nuetrality arrived at from springs, sway bars, damper settings, ride height, and camber....

I'm just trying to figure out how much fine tuning is needed for a track day between really sticky race tires and high quality street tires.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in my experience the balance is the same once the tires are up to temp. on the way up to temp they'll vary somewhat. My front tires get hot much faster than the rears (I track a gutted, swapped hatch), so 2nd lap is themost dangerous for me, as I have a lot of grip in the front and fairly little in th rear.

once all the tires are hot, the balance is just like street tires.

YMMV
Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

The balance will most likely change if using r-compounds vs street tires. The added grip in the front with r-compounds will make for a totally different car. That was my experience earlier this year driving a car back to back with both types. The car is setup to be run on r-compounds and had a good amount of push when really driven hard on the street tires.

As for wet conditions, if the car has any bad traits they will be amplified in the wet. Slight push in the dry will rutn into terminal understeer in the wet.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Car is set up depending on how much grip you have. Softer for less grip
Technically if you're switching from a race to a street tire, or running in the wet, you would go softer(in the wet, a lot softer). If you really wanna get technical, different brand/models of tires have different measurements, even though they might be the same size. This could throw off you geometry and/or balance. It all boils down to how much you push the car, or how much of the car's capability you use. Depending on this, you may notice it, or you may not
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
If I have my balanced perfectly with R888 or Hankook Z214s, then I put some Advan Neovas on, shouldn't it still be balanced? Also, shouldn't a balanced car remain so in wet conditions?

By balanced, I'm referring to minimal oversteer OR understeer: nuetrality arrived at from springs, sway bars, damper settings, ride height, and camber....

I'm just trying to figure out how much fine tuning is needed for a track day between really sticky race tires and high quality street tires.
The tire definitely makes a difference. Even an uber-sticky R comp vs. a comparatively hard R888 is going to make a difference in set-up. Sidewall stiffness and turn-in response especially will affect set-up and the optimal driving style.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Smogrunner; Aug 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM.