Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gates311: Nitto NT05 Review **Street Class Tire **

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gates311: Nitto NT05 Review **Street Class Tire **

Hey guys, in reference to this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=371018

There has been so much discussion this fall about what tire to run for next year in Street class, with so many options out there it's kinda hard to choose, especially if you don't have any experience on all the tires. I had mentioned before that I would be debuting a new Nitto tire at the 2008 Super Lap Battle Finale. The tire is the NT05, it's a 200 Treadwear tire that is being built for use in the Street class events.

First impressions - I thought the tire was VERY easy to drive on. I didn't do any special "break-in" on them, and coming on track fresh they warmed up very nice after 1/2 a lap. After the first session on them I was impressed for sure. I hadn't ran Street tires for a few events and the transition back to them was very easy using the NT-05's.

On Track impressions - After a warm up lap the tires are PERFECT. They start to get up to temp fast, and they seem to plateau (in a good way). After a single lap on Street tires I had always had to do a cool down lap before going again for a hot lap, but with the NT05's I was able to continue going on for a consecutive hot lap, which is awesome for Redline events where you are limited to only 3 hot laps. The turn in on them is good for a street tire, they are plenty responsive....they feel crisp. Mid corner these tires are a DREAM, for real. They have the smoothest break away of any Street tire (R-comps also) I have driven on this year. At Buttonwillow there are some long sweepers and the NT05 shined thru them, they weren't twitchy and even when I was on the edge they stayed nice and crisp while still breaking away nice and evenly. Under braking, they worked well. Lock-up was kept to a relative minimum, even though I was running on race pads. I could get on them very hard and they would take it pretty well. They are also easy to drive a little sideways (thanks to my new rear diff and FP Red hahaha).

Overall - The NT05 is a very good option for anyone running Street class next year. They last all session without losing their initial grip. I ran this whole year on AD07 Neova's, and to be honest the Nitto's were very similar in grip, with the edge going to the NT05. The thing that bothered me about the Neova's was that they would only last for the first lap and then they were really sloppy. The NT05's are great all session, all 20 mins at Super Lap. The grip on these is really reaching the level of R-comps, which is awesome! Gotta love new technology

The NT05's did everything I asked of them, it was me that was the problem. I ended up 2nd to Nils, who ran great! Both of us beat the previous Street class record! If you have any specific questions about the tire let me know. Here is a quick vid with the tires on the car, you can hear them under braking and thru the corner, very smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S2ZXkwKV28&fmt=18

You can see them on the car in these photos.

And a photo of the tread and info on them:

http://nittotire.com/#index.tire.nt05

Ryan
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was meaning to ask ya about them as I seen the NT05 on the back of the latest GRM and was a little shocked by the 200 treadwear.

Thanks for the review...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

This is implied by your post, but you would recommend the NT05 over the RE01R or Z1 SS?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Ryan, great review. Now we need Nils to give us a review about the new Neovas
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

You have a recommended distributor of these?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
This is implied by your post, but you would recommend the NT05 over the RE01R or Z1 SS?
Over the RE01R's, yes. I haven't ran the Z1's but I know they are similar to the Neova's...I can't say for sure. But I really did like the NT05's, you won't be at a disadvantage running them.

And to answer your other question, I think these are available early next year.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

So which tires were you comparing them to - Neovas, RE-01R? Or do you have experience running some other tires too? I'm only referring to street tires
Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Have you been able to try the Toyo R1R? I hear these are simmilar compound but differet carcass, maybe vice versa. The toyos are so sloppy, wondering if they have that good old floppy toyo sidewall (since toyo owns nitto).

should be an interesting ST year next year, with these, the RS3, AD08, RE11 and XS all coming out to try and beat up on the Z1
Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Over the RE01R's, yes. I haven't ran the Z1's but I know they are similar to the Neova's...I can't say for sure. But I really did like the NT05's, you won't be at a disadvantage running them.

And to answer your other question, I think these are available early next year.
Thanks, as usual, a little googleing and I saw that they were a first quarter 09 release time. Lucky you that you got a taste already! I was all set on Z1s but if these are just as good I will look into them. I always think of Nitto as hitting a better price point. Its not hard to undercut the RE-01Rs, but do you think it will beat say 250$ (I think) for a 255/35-18 in the Z1?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8
So which tires were you comparing them to - Neovas, RE-01R? Or do you have experience running some other tires too? I'm only referring to street tires
Street tires I've ran:

NT05 - Best overall. Great grip, very consistent, predictable, crisp and easiest to drive.
Neova AD07 - Great grip, short life, inconsistent and harsh breakaway
RE01R - good grip, lasts well, not much bad to say but not the best.
R1R - good grip, squirmy and inconsistent.

I'll find out price soon for you guys.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor

Great review Ryan! Glad to see manufacturers taking time attack so seriously!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Street tires I've ran:

NT05 - Best overall. Great grip, very consistent, predictable, crisp and easiest to drive.
Neova AD07 - Great grip, short life, inconsistent and harsh breakaway
RE01R - good grip, lasts well, not much bad to say but not the best.
R1R - good grip, squirmy and inconsistent.

I'll find out price soon for you guys.
Bingo. Best review ever. This should be a sticky here
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
Thanks, as usual, a little googleing and I saw that they were a first quarter 09 release time. Lucky you that you got a taste already! I was all set on Z1s but if these are just as good I will look into them. I always think of Nitto as hitting a better price point. Its not hard to undercut the RE-01Rs, but do you think it will beat say 250$ (I think) for a 255/35-18 in the Z1?
I sure hope it will
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8
I sure hope it will
Man if it does I will be all over that
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size did you run. Us SCCA guys must run a 245 width. One of the big advantages the dunlop and yokohama have is that they run wider than a lot of other 245s.

d

Quick Reply: Gates311: Nitto NT05 Review **Street Class Tire **