Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

4G63 History in Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want Bimmubishi's lifetime ban to be removed!

He was someone with alot of knowledge on .
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I want Bimmubishi's lifetime ban to be removed!

He was someone with alot of knowledge on .
yes its a shame he got banned... he is a great sports man and friend.
Also racing an Evil Evo 2
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC
Awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I never followed it growing up. I got my first car, a 4G63 DSM, in 2003 which was right when the Evo was faded out and replaced by the WRC spec Lancers.
They switched to the WRC lancer in 2001 when WRC rules went into full effect.

However I am currently intrigued by this topic, I just can't get enough. Last night my wife and I ate dinner together on the couch while watching a 2 hour recap of the 1998 WRC season on youtube.

http://youtu.be/uNuVQZiwy10

I can't wait for the book to come in. I read a chunk of it on goole books before they decided I had had enough of a preview.
Yeah that was a great season. Back when there were a lot of manufacturers and great drivers so it was worth watching. With Mitsu, Subie and Peugeot out and Citroen giving bullet proof cars to Loeb WRC just isn't the same anymore.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Do give a review and some snapshot from Brian Long book
Sounds like an awesome book for EVO enthusiast
From what I saw online it is exactly what I'm looking for, plus it can be picked up for cheap, I paid less then $10 shipped. I will let you know once I receive it.

Originally Posted by codgi
Yeah that was a great season. Back when there were a lot of manufacturers and great drivers so it was worth watching. With Mitsu, Subie and Peugeot out and Citroen giving bullet proof cars to Loeb WRC just isn't the same anymore.
That was a crazy season indeed. Even knowing ahead of time that Makinen and Mitsubishi were going to win, it didn't look like it was going to happen until the last 300 meters of the final event when Sainz's Toyota died. That was intense. You're right though, these days its just one sided, gone is the hunt and quest for the Championship with multiple big name competitors in the running and you don't know who is going to take the victory until it's all said and done.

Maybe you can answer this for me, but what was up with Mitsubishi's sponsors that year? In the beginning they had "Pall Mall" patches on their jumpsuits, replaced by a "questions mark", replaced my all "L's", replaced by Pall Mall again but this time with a "smoking kills" warning underneath.

Last edited by 9!'clipseDOHC; Mar 14, 2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Do give a review and some snapshot from Brian Long book
Sounds like an awesome book for EVO enthusiast
The book is a really nice over view of the rally history of each of the Evo's released. Including a lot of production numbers-- Well worth the investment and read.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe you can answer this for me, but what was up with Mitsubishi's sponsors that year? In the beginning they had "Pall Mall" patches on their jumpsuits, replaced by a "questions mark", replaced my all "L's", replaced by Pall Mall again but this time with a "smoking kills" warning underneath.
Good one. I don't remember exactly but I do remember that it was around this time that folks in motorsports were starting to distance themselves from cigarette manufacturers. Look at how subaru re-designed the 555 logo on their car around that same time so that if you didn't even look at it closely you wouldn't even figure out the association. Doesn't matter much cause they switched to full Marlboro sponsorship from the season after if I remember it right.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
Good one. I don't remember exactly but I do remember that it was around this time that folks in motorsports were starting to distance themselves from cigarette manufacturers. Look at how subaru re-designed the 555 logo on their car around that same time so that if you didn't even look at it closely you wouldn't even figure out the association. Doesn't matter much cause they switched to full Marlboro sponsorship from the season after if I remember it right.
Right you are, here is the 1999 Evo VI:

Although sometimes the decals were blank, like at the 1999 season opener at Monte Carlo:

I wonder if it was based on the location? Like certain locations prohibited advertising for cigarette manufacturers? I don't know.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=9!'clipseDOHC;10708431]From what I saw online it is exactly what I'm looking for, plus it can be picked up for cheap, I paid less then $10 shipped. I will let you know once I receive it.

[QUOTE]

Link of less than $10 please
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Ang Wen Yan;10712146][QUOTE=9!'clipseDOHC;10708431]From what I saw online it is exactly what I'm looking for, plus it can be picked up for cheap, I paid less then $10 shipped. I will let you know once I receive it.

Link of less than $10 please
I bought it on eBay.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Right you are, here is the 1999 Evo VI:
I wonder if it was based on the location? Like certain locations prohibited advertising for cigarette manufacturers? I don't know.
Yes this is why it is usually done. I didn't remember Monte Carlo being one of those locations. Subaru used to do it more subtly...in thos locations they would switch the 555 to the subaru logo.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Evo's History in WRC (Group A) - DirtyEvo.com
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting side note.

The first recognized international overall rally win for the evo 1 GP.A was Rally Jamaica Dec 1992.

Evo 1 production dates - Oct 1992 to Jan 1994
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart004
Interesting side note.

The first recognized international overall rally win for the evo 1 GP.A was Rally Jamaica Dec 1992.

Evo 1 production dates - Oct 1992 to Jan 1994
Interesting. Do you have more info on that? According to the book "Mitsubishi Lancer EVO: The Road Car and The WRC Story, The Evolution made it's Group A debut at the 1993 Monte Carlo Rally, January 21-27, 1992 driven by both Kenneth Eriksson and Armin Schwarz.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting. Do you have more info on that? According to the book "Mitsubishi Lancer EVO: The Road Car and The WRC Story, The Evolution made it's Group A debut at the 1993 Monte Carlo Rally, January 21-27, 1992 driven by both Kenneth Eriksson and Armin Schwarz.
WRC debut for the world championship. This was a local FIA recognized international rally.

- The driver was Chris Issa (son of the owner of superclubs chain of hotels) @ Rally Jamaica December 1992.

http://www.rallyjamaica.com/home/wp-...RIVER-INFO.pdf

Page 11

PS. Notice the other cars and winners over the years.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
yes its a shame he got banned... he is a great sports man and friend.
Also racing an Evil Evo 2
Add shop co-owner (sadly former), driver, instructor, fabricator and mechanic. DSG is sorely missed in MA.

Smike banned him on a power trip years ago.

Quick Reply: 4G63 History in Motorsports