Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Question for those who track (X) frequently regarding gas smell

Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for those who track (X) frequently regarding gas smell

So the last couple of times, my X has been venting a VERY STRONG GAS SMELL inside my car at the track. This usually happens after a good strong session towards the end...

To recreate the scenario:

Rear seats are removed and windows are down... After agood 15-20 minutes of hard-driving, the smell overpowers into the cabin and its strong enough to make me nauseous.

Has anyone else who tracks their X regularly experienced this? I am certain its not coming from the engine bay, but rather from mid-car back....

I have done the obvious like checking the fuel lines, checking the hard lines under the car... only area i did not have access to was above the fuel tank (in between the body and the tank)...

My body shop suggested that its the carbon canister at the rear of the car that absorbs vapor from the gas tank.. that it might be over-saturated and/or clogged...

Since i know im not the only guy tracking the X, i was wondering if anyone else came accross this peculiar issue...

keep in mind this only happens at the track, and not during DD. My next step is to obviously take it to the dealer, but its hard to re-create/describe the issue since this only takes place under "tracking" scenarios...

Insight welcome and thanks in advance!

-Ant
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:26 PM
iy
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon canister is a good thing to check.

If it's so bad that it is very noticable with windows down, I suggest you get it looked at ASAP - this means you've got a gas vent or leak BAD. Next time you may turn into a fireball, watch out...
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Moved to the Motorsports section for you.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What exhaust mods do you have? Test pipe? Driving behind someone running catless always makes me sick to my stomach.

It could be that it takes a while for the fumes to gather up? But I'm going to guess it's likely that something is getting shaken up.

FWIW, I've not smelled gas (other than the methane kind lol), but I have a full interior. When I start my car or idle for a while I smell the exhaust inside, but that's a combo of the exhaust leak (it was late and dark, sue me) and the AC pulling from the inside.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iy
Carbon canister is a good thing to check.

If it's so bad that it is very noticable with windows down, I suggest you get it looked at ASAP - this means you've got a gas vent or leak BAD. Next time you may turn into a fireball, watch out...
Yeah, good thing i quit smoking!

All joking aside, I definitely have sourced it to my vehicle producing the smell, and not from outside, or someone infront of me, etc...

Bump for anybody with similar experiences...
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Nothin here man, sorry. Good luck figuring it out though
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

We used to have problems like that with the Bondurant school cars, especially in summertime when it was very hot. As the fuel tank gets lower in fuel, the heat from the engine (cars used a recirculating fuel system from the tank to the fuel rail on the very hot engine, then through the fuel pressure regulator and back to the tank) raises the temperature of the remaining fuel in the tank. It only happened when the fuel tank was less than 1/4 tank and the temps were very high (>115 F).

As the fuel gets hotter, more of it evaporates and builds pressure in the tank then the vapors are vented and stored in the charcoal canister. Since there's very little part throttle operating in track sessions the excess vapors in the canister don't get vented back through the engine. If the venting gets too high. liquid fuel will get into the canister and will vent (overflow) from there.

An easy test is to pull in the pits when this is happening (hopefully right near a fire station!) and slowly remove the fuel filler cap. If there is like waaay more excessive pressure than normal - witnessed by hissing - then you've found your problem.

Some possible solutions:

1. Keep the fuel cell/gas tank as full as possible at all times. This means filling it after each session. Very easy to do if there is a fuel filling station at the track.

2. Use a fuel with a higher temperature rating (which means a lower RVP value). Kinda difficult depending on where you are geographically as most places that get cold will have high RVP fuels for winter use. Very difficult to do - may require you to bring your own fuels to the track.

3. Install a real racing fuel cell and associated plumbing. Medium difficult, expensive and not appropriate for a street car (imho).
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
We used to have problems like that with the Bondurant school cars, especially in summertime when it was very hot. As the fuel tank gets lower in fuel, the heat from the engine (cars used a recirculating fuel system from the tank to the fuel rail on the very hot engine, then through the fuel pressure regulator and back to the tank) raises the temperature of the remaining fuel in the tank. It only happened when the fuel tank was less than 1/4 tank and the temps were very high (>115 F).

As the fuel gets hotter, more of it evaporates and builds pressure in the tank then the vapors are vented and stored in the charcoal canister. Since there's very little part throttle operating in track sessions the excess vapors in the canister don't get vented back through the engine. If the venting gets too high. liquid fuel will get into the canister and will vent (overflow) from there.

An easy test is to pull in the pits when this is happening (hopefully right near a fire station!) and slowly remove the fuel filler cap. If there is like waaay more excessive pressure than normal - witnessed by hissing - then you've found your problem.

Some possible solutions:

1. Keep the fuel cell/gas tank as full as possible at all times. This means filling it after each session. Very easy to do if there is a fuel filling station at the track.

2. Use a fuel with a higher temperature rating (which means a lower RVP value). Kinda difficult depending on where you are geographically as most places that get cold will have high RVP fuels for winter use. Very difficult to do - may require you to bring your own fuels to the track.

3. Install a real racing fuel cell and associated plumbing. Medium difficult, expensive and not appropriate for a street car (imho).
This is outstanding. Thank you for your insight. I will definitely try this out next week at the track.