Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Wicked Awesome Splitter Action

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I added some aluminum angle to my side skirts. I'll use this to mount rubber skirts which hang down and seal off the bottom of the car. I should have those on tomorrow.

Here's the entire bottom of the car getting ready to go back in. I added some more jack access points to the side skirts and a wideband access to the center panel. All the access holes will get taped up with speed tape at the track.

Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow you do you some seriously good work. I assume you have some type of ME degree? Also do you use SolidWorks or any 3d software to help out? I have designed a couple things at work but haven't tackled it yet on the CNC.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome! I'd love to see some pictures of it on the car.

I still would love to get a splitter for my Voltex front end, but I'm not yet willing to pay the cost to have one of the custom ones made.

I just need a huge piece of Carbon and I could make my own.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 08:34 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by RaNGVR-4
...but it keeps even more air from entering underneath the car, lowering pressure even more, creating more downforce.
I think you mean reduce lift
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

You should think about adding vertical pillars to the ends of the APR diffuser. I've done some research on front end aero, and it has been tested that the end pillars allow more downforce then those without.

Still waiting for you to finish the side extensions so I can partake...lol
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
You should think about adding vertical pillars to the ends of the APR diffuser. I've done some research on front end aero, and it has been tested that the end pillars allow more downforce then those without.

Still waiting for you to finish the side extensions so I can partake...lol
I've been thinking about adding verticals at the edges. I might do that along with some flashing on the bumper near the wheels to cover up the race tires better. Rubber skirts will be on tonight.

Originally Posted by dbsears
Wow you do you some seriously good work. I assume you have some type of ME degree? Also do you use SolidWorks or any 3d software to help out? I have designed a couple things at work but haven't tackled it yet on the CNC.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and yes most of the parts have been modeled in Solidworks. The side skirts were CNC routed from drawings I created, the aluminum underpanels were just hand built by me.

Originally Posted by Fireball
Looks awesome! I'd love to see some pictures of it on the car.

I still would love to get a splitter for my Voltex front end, but I'm not yet willing to pay the cost to have one of the custom ones made.

I just need a huge piece of Carbon and I could make my own.
You can buy the carbon fabric, it lays up just like fiberglass. Then you don't need to buy a pre-fab sheet. APR is fiberglass with a single layer of carbon for looks. If you use a foam core than it only takes a couple layer of carbon, and saves weight and money. If I didn't have the APR already I would have built one from scratch with a foam core. That's why I'm going to do the GT wing to get some experience with carbon and foam core layup.

Last edited by jid2; Mar 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
I think you mean reduce lift
Want to argue Semantics huh? Yes, reduce lift. Yet, a full body street car can experience downforce as well with correct tuning
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jid2
You can buy the carbon fabric, it lays up just like fiberglass. Then you don't need to buy a pre-fab sheet. APR is fiberglass with a single layer of carbon for looks. If you use a foam core than it only takes a couple layer of carbon, and saves weight and money. If I didn't have the APR already I would have built one from scratch with a foam core. That's why I'm going to do the GT wing to get some experience with carbon and foam core layup.
Where do you find such materials without having to take out a 2nd mortgage?

You know how big (approx) the Voltex bumper is... I'd need something in the shape of the time attack front bumper splitter. I could attach it directly to the Voltex front undertray diffuser I have.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn thats a sick looking splitter!!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Where do you find such materials without having to take out a 2nd mortgage?

You know how big (approx) the Voltex bumper is... I'd need something in the shape of the time attack front bumper splitter. I could attach it directly to the Voltex front undertray diffuser I have.

282 weave is standard Carbon Fabric. $30 per yard at 50" wide.
http://avtcomposites.com/reinforcements.php3

Last-A-Foam, .25" thick should be about right for a splitter core.
http://avtcomposites.com/core.php3

No mortgage required. Mounting point need to be reinforced with wood or metal in the core.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:38 PM
chu
Evolved Member

When are you releasing some of this stuff? I'm really interested in the side skirt extensions. The lip is also very nice, but will be hard to justify considering the price of the APR splitter.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jid2
282 weave is standard Carbon Fabric. $30 per yard at 50" wide.
http://avtcomposites.com/reinforcements.php3

Last-A-Foam, .25" thick should be about right for a splitter core.
http://avtcomposites.com/core.php3

No mortgage required. Mounting point need to be reinforced with wood or metal in the core.
Still would probably be about $300 in materials. 1 foam core won't do, and then I'd need at least 4x1yd of CF, plus the resin.

The other issue, is that I don't seem to have a perfectly flat area big enough to set this up.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Still would probably be about $300 in materials. 1 foam core won't do, and then I'd need at least 4x1yd of CF, plus the resin.

The other issue, is that I don't seem to have a perfectly flat area big enough to set this up.
So for the price of an APR you can build a nice light weight high strength part, which would normally cost $1500. But it's a gamble, and lots of work

I'll let you guys in on a secret as well, one that's actually been posted before. APR, through Rally Sport Direct will custom build a splitter (fiberglass with a carbon top layer) in any shape. So if you want a custom one to match the shape of your Voltex bumper you just need a really big sheet of construction paper to create a template for APR, or create a detailed drawing. Then they will build it for you at the same cost as their standard splitter. APR just builds large sheets and cut's them out anyway, so it's not much more work.

I'm not building this stuff for sale. I used to be a vendor, and even when the economy was good the number of people interested in hard-core track parts like this was low. You have to pay to play, especially with low production number parts, and nobody was willing to. This stuff should give people ideas of how to do it on their own, you can PM me if you have questions about stuff.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

you guys probably don't know APR do offer nomex honeycomb pre-preg carbon splitter for any car, you just have to call them to order it.
Both of these cars have it.

Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

How much do those nomex APR ones run?

Quick Reply: Wicked Awesome Splitter Action