Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

T-bolt hose clamps legal in stu?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-bolt hose clamps legal in stu?

Hi,

A year or 2 ago, I thought I read somewhere that T-bolt hose clamps were not legal in STU. But, now that I look in the rule book and search on the forums, now I'm not sure. From my translation of the rule book, it is OK to use t-bolt hose clamps. So I just want to confirm it is ok or not.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Rubber bands are only legal
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
Rubber bands are only legal
Glad we got your opinion and know you run 22psi bost and have cool mods like 15% tint brah.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ruffytdog
Hi,

A year or 2 ago, I thought I read somewhere that T-bolt hose clamps were not legal in STU. But, now that I look in the rule book and search on the forums, now I'm not sure. From my translation of the rule book, it is OK to use t-bolt hose clamps. So I just want to confirm it is ok or not.

Thanks,

Mike

I haven't looked at the rulebook, but it's probably okay - definitely so for local events. What part of the rule book are you looking at?

Also, what exactly do you need T-bolt clamps for with stock IC piping?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen multiple worm crap clamps fall off the stock IC piping (on VIII, IX and X's) at the track. Worm clamps suck.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:59 PM

For some reason (It was so long I don't remember why), I had to replace one of the original hose clamps with one from Kragen. Now I noticed that that clamp can't hold the hose and it is backing off a little by little over time. So I'm considering getting some t-clamps, so I don't have to worry about hoses popping off.

I went over the rulebook again. There is nothing in the ST section, so I went back to the stock section (pg 59-60). The part about "expendable and considered replacement part" basically says you can only replace with the exact same thing. But the next paragraph says hardware items can be replaced with unrestricted origin. Just as long as I'm not replacing the hardware item to replace a part for higher performance. I think a hose clamp is considered a hardware item. or is it?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, T-bolt clamps for all hoses are legal for STU/BSP.

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:05 AM

Just as long as I'm not replacing the hardware item to replace a part for higher performance. I think a hose clamp is considered a hardware item. or is it?
Yes, but aren't you replacing it with a higher perfoming one?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:43 AM

I think the rule book is saying hardware items are open. But you are not allowed to change the hardware item as an excuse to change a for a higher performance part (eg. a high performance hose to go with that hose clamp).

Thanks all.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
my interpretation is that if there is any performance difference (reliability is performance as lame as that sounds) then you can't change them with out a specific allowance to do so. i.e. the entire intake system is unrestricted in SP so you can change charge pipe clamps to what ever you want.

I don't see any such allowance in stock or ST to change from worm drive to t-bolt clamps.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I think the rule book is saying hardware items are open. But you are not allowed to change the hardware item as an excuse to change a for a higher performance part (eg. a high performance hose to go with that hose clamp).

Thanks all.
"13.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN

J. Silicone replacement hoses are permitted as alternate components, provided they meet the requirements of Section 13.0 with regard to size, shape, location, and performance equivalence. Replacement induction system air intake hoses must also match the standard part in stiffness, contour, and internal wall texture."

Uh-oh

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Glad we got your opinion and know you run 22psi bost and have cool mods like 15% tint brah.
Funny
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
my interpretation is that if there is any performance difference (reliability is performance as lame as that sounds) then you can't change them with out a specific allowance to do so. i.e. the entire intake system is unrestricted in SP so you can change charge pipe clamps to what ever you want.

I don't see any such allowance in stock or ST to change from worm drive to t-bolt clamps.
"14.10 ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN

C. The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet
may be modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle
body, carburetor, compressor inlet, or intake manifold,
whichever comes first."

This says I can basically do what I want up to the turbo inlet including hoses and clamps. T-bolt clamps have been clarified for replacement at least since 2004. I have that direct e-mail saved somewhere. I replaced all my factory clamps with T-bolt clamps back in 2004. It is considered a safety replacement part that exceeds the manufacturer's spec.'s and common in the ST (turbo) crowd. How many times have you witnessed someone spraying water/anti-freeze all over the course because their hose or hose clamp failed? or maybe delayed the event because a turbo inlet hose poped off?

What performance advantage? (besides "reliability" interpetation) Is the replacement refined to just turbo cars? Does it gain boost from it's equally- functioning factory counterpart? More power under the curve? The driver must feel more confident so he/she performs better.

Just given you a hard time Marshall.

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silencer
This says I can basically do what I want up to the turbo inlet including hoses and clamps.
True, but _those_ clamps never come off. It's always the ones on the pressurized side that are a worry.

However, I would still argue for their legality under the hardware "nuts/bolts" allowance.

d
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
True, but _those_ clamps never come off. It's always the ones on the pressurized side that are a worry.

However, I would still argue for their legality under the hardware "nuts/bolts" allowance.

d
True, it can only be legal under:

"13. STOCK CATEGORY
Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit.

Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items of unrestricted origin. Safety wire, threadlocker compounds, and locking nuts are permitted. These allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources other than the original manufacturer. They should not be construed as an allowance to replace components with those which could be considered a ‘higher performance’ alternative."

Dave

Quick Reply: T-bolt hose clamps legal in stu?