Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo on Homestead Miami Speedway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo on Homestead Miami Speedway

My Evo is about 2 months old and I took it out on a track for the first time yesterday and it tore it up. Spent first three sessions getting to know the car and track and it performed very well. On the last two sessions turned it on a bit and the car really shined but I know there is still lots more to extract. Although I was running stock tires on wider wheels it handled incredibly. I have full Robispec suspension and all the bolt-ons short of a turbo and it was faster than the old Z06 vette, practically keeping up with the new Z06 and not that far off from vipers on the straights. The laps were not timed so cannot compare the numbers with other cars out there and of course drivers skill plays a big role. But I must say the performance of the car impressed me and I have driven many more expensive high performance cars.
But as good as the car performed I was also plagued with problems. The brakes were shot after a good 10-15 minutes into the session to the point I had to pump the brakes to stop …not good at all very dangerous plus I had to run the sessions short. To anyone going to race you must address the brake issue either by upgrading fluid or lines, which I will experiment with before I go back out on the track. At one point I had to pull off track because car seemed to rev more then it was moving, almost like a slipping tranny (GSR) and then it went away. During one session the car was sputtering and losing power at high revs in 4th and 5th gear, but no other gear then it went away. I also now have a slight hesitation when I step on it, which I don’t remember ever having. And finally last session I got a check engine light. If anyone has had similar or want to comment on the problems please do because I am now wondering how reliable the car is for the track and as a daily driver.
Anyway once the car is running right and I fully learn its characteristics, it will be a force to reckon with on the track. So I will have to go back to the shop and fix and modify some more…
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Were you able to pull the code?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Are you tuned or just bolt-ons? I am headed to my first auto-x of the season on saturday and am very excited to see how the car holds up.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:36 AM

No I have not read the codes yet. I have not had a chance to get a custom tune so its an off the shelf flash my tuner put on.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:01 PM

What clutch do you have? Glazing is easy to do, especially the stock one. I don't know enough about the ecu to know if it would set a code or not-maybe for the S-AWC??
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:27 PM

Stock clutch and the check engine light went off today.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Stock pads should never be tracked on.

I put this together for the CT9A, but you can run the same pads as we do.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you can't road race and evo with an off the shelf tune. You could have been knocking bad or something else. Brakes is an obvious one for a aggressive drive like mentioned.

Sounds like fun though!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by evoAM
Stock clutch and the check engine light went off today.
You deff boiled the sh*t out of the fluid if your having to pump in the turns, no hydro pressure . Pads prolly glazed too if you were not doing a cool down lap every 2 laps because they are front heavy (yes even the X) and have very poor venting for the rotor area (the 9's are worse). Stock clutch can't take that heat either, again esp with stock fluid. Lines as you already know would help too.