Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Review: Girodisc Rotors & Raybestos brake pads

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Girodisc Rotors & Raybestos brake pads

Calipers: OEM
Rotors: Girodisc 2-piece slotted rotors (front and rear)
Pads: Raybestos ST43
* No brake ducting yet *

Im going to try to keep this as short and sweet as possible. I race my Evo 9 with Socal NASA in Super Touring. You can read all about that here:

http://www.ednazarian.com

I run Girodisc 2-piece rotors on all 4 corners coupled with Raybestos ST43 pads. I love this setup. The rotors are phenomenal, and the pads match them very well. Not only is the performance great, but the pads and rotors are long lasting.

Currently I am on replacement rotors on the fronts because they finally ran out of life, but the rears are still alive and going strong. So here is a breakdown of how many days i put on the front Girodisc rotors:

6 = Test days (ST41 and ST43)
4 = NASA TTA events (ST41)
2 = NASA TTA Nationals (ST41)
4 = NASA ST2 Races (ST43)
16 = Total

I may have missed a test day or 2, but those are the events I have notes for and recall. So in total, I did 16 days on the front Girodisc rotors. However, during 8-10 of those events I was running the ST41 pads. The 41s are much more aggressive pads compared to the 43s. As much as I liked the 41s, I recommend the 43s over the 41s. Reason is the 41s are more aggressive, so they wear out the rotors more rapidly, and they create more heat. Therefore, if I had only ran the 43s, im confident that I could have gotten anywhere from 2-4 more events. Also keep in mind that the last 4 events I ran were my first 4 Super Touring races. So when I raced on them my front rotors were at the very end of their life. Something else noteworthy, I don’t have brake ducting. I never had any brake ducting during any of those events. However, I recently got brake ducting and will be getting that on before I go race at Nationals.

I am honestly impressed by these Girodisc rotors. The best example I have of these rotors are from my 2 BRP races in April. Here is my thread from my 2 BRP races:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ics-video.html

For a more detailed article you can read about it here:
http://www.ednazarian.com/?p=65

BRP is extremely hard on brakes, and I am impressed as to how these rotors held up during both of my 35 min races without brake ducting. I was fighting intensely against the Mazda GT racecars to keep my position during both races. Who btw can totally out-brake me since their competition weight is around 2,000 lbs. My pedal got soft during both races, but they held up without brake ducting under extreme conditions. Until you race yourself, you will not understand how challenging it is to finish a race, let alone win. The smallest issue can end your race at any moment. If it wasn’t for the Girodisc rotors, I would not have been in a position to fight for the lead against cars that can out-brake me all day. And you have to be able to finish a race to win. Therefore, I would not have been able to win both races if it wasn’t for these Girodisc rotors.

If any of this means something to you, call up Martin at Girodisc and he will answer all your questions. He also sells the Raybestos ST43 pads so you can get all that sorted with him. Martin not only provides great rotors, but he also provides great customer service.

When these rotors ran out of life, Martin sent me another set. Here is my review of my 2nd set:

Girodisc Rotors: Results of 2nd set

Last edited by Bueller; May 30, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1. I run the same setup and am really happy with the brakes now. I don't feel like I need to fiddle with them anymore. They just stop all day long.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

This is a nice setup.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

100% agree! Best brakes I have ever put on. After countless set ups I can honestly say when utilizing the factory calipers Girodisc is your best bet!!!!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lovin' my 2 piece fronts right now. Easy to tell the difference in weight between the smaller 1 piece rears and the 2 piece fronts.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamflex
100% agree! Best brakes I have ever put on. After countless set ups I can honestly say when utilizing the factory calipers Girodisc is your best bet!!!!
Ive ran another 2-piece set prior to the Girodiscs. The Girodiscs are better. They dissipate heat better, they last longer, and they perform better.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks guys!

Wow! I'm glowing like I just got some

Martin
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
Wow! I'm glowing like I just got some

Martin
Martin, your 2-piece rotors have served me very well. And your customer service is awesome.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Ive ran another 2-piece set prior to the Girodiscs. The Girodiscs are better. They dissipate heat better, they last longer, and they perform better.
As have I, After putting the girodisc rotors on I need not look any further!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamflex
As have I, After putting the girodisc rotors on I need not look any further!
What 2-piece rotors were you running before running the Girodiscs? If youd rather not say in public shoot me a pm.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:29 PM

Nice review Ed.

Does anyone know how these pads compare to the Performance Friction PF01s or the Hawk DTC70s? I'm currently running the PF01s and was planning to try out a set of DTC70s but these seem like the "hot ticket" right now.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice review!

I'm going to purchase some 2 piece front rotors for my Evo X within the next month or so as well. I'm running Magic Pads on the street and the ST43 pads at HPDE at Watkins Glen. So far they are a great product line and I couldn't be happier. Custom brake ducting similar to AMS's setup is in the works as well.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 02:01 AM

Nice! How much weight did the 2-piece rotors shave off?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice review, what would you recommend for a street set up with an occasional HPDE?
Right now I have the stock setup which will be due to be changed soon, so i am planning ahead and trying to figure out the best setup!
If I can get more life out of the stock rotors i would love it just from an economic aspect
will appreciate the input!
THX
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo spec D
Very nice review, what would you recommend for a street set up with an occasional HPDE?
Right now I have the stock setup which will be due to be changed soon, so i am planning ahead and trying to figure out the best setup!
If I can get more life out of the stock rotors i would love it just from an economic aspect
will appreciate the input!
THX
Martin offers setups to many needs. From the two piece to the bail out blanks! Not sure if he is still selling those but check out girodisc.com or drop him a pm on the forum. He will def steer you in the right direction!

Quick Reply: Review: Girodisc Rotors & Raybestos brake pads