Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Race Sway Bar Question, What Would You Do?

Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Race Sway Bar Question, What Would You Do?

(This is also posted in Suspension, but I thought I might get a better response here)
Hello All,
First things first, a little background, I have a 2001 Evo VII that I use for Redline Time Attack Street Class. The car is only used for this purpose, I don't really care about street manners.

Ignoring the rest of my setup (pretty mild so far) I have come to a crossroads on what to do with my sway bars. Long story short, I am running Cusco Sway Bars, 25mm Front (123% stiffer than stock) and 23mm Rear (103%, 115%, 125% stiffer) set to 115%

I experience steady, but strong mid corner understeer with on throttle oversteer coming out of tight and mid speed turns. Coming out of higher speed turns, mild understeer or neutral 4 wheel slides.

I have talked with the folks at Muellerized about getting a more dedicated track setup and they recommend I switch back to a OEM front bar with their 25mm rear or stick with the Cusco Front and go to a 27mm rear such as Agency Power. The OEM Front and their Rear being most recommended. I really respect their opinion but might have the opportunity to directly trade my Cusco Rear for an Agency Power Rear.

Soo... long story short, on street tires (255/40 17 Nitto NT05s are what I use for my class) Would you guys be cheap and go with the Agency Power Trade or would you hunt down an OEM front bar and Muellerized rear? Thanks a lot.

Dan
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What springs/shocks are on the car?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 27mm rear bar and 25mm front is a heavy set up, relatively speaking of course. I would find an oem front in the for sale section and adjust your cusco rear bars settings. That failing, then try a larger rear sway bar.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am running Cusco Zero2R Coilovers, 7k front, 5k rear. But this will not stay this way for long. I will either switch out coilovers or change springs depending on what options I have.

What is the reasoning for sticking with the smaller overall sway bars? Thanks a bunch for the help so far.

Dan
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You are running the JDM style higher front spring setup - that front bar is killing you, with that little Cusco rear.

Try the 27mm rear bar. It's a free trade!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan, I'd recommend keeping the front bar and going with the stiffer rear. I would also verify that the agency power bar is stiffer than your current one (it probably is but it may be made with a different grade steel so just because its bigger doesn't necessarily mean it's that much stiffer) I'd check with AP and see if the have a % over stock rating like the Cusco otherwise you don't really know the change that you're making.

Also get rid of those springs ASAP, those are pretty soft rear springs even for a car with a big rear bar.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Please do not multiple post.

Thread closed here. Go to:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7565375

to post.