Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Are replacement caliper pistons for OEM Brembo Evo 8/9 brakes available?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone actually find a place that sell the pistons for brembo calipers on the evo's 7,8,9.

Im badly stuck for a 46mm piston for the front caliper.new or second hand would do at this stage
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davy
Did anyone actually find a place that sell the pistons for brembo calipers on the evo's 7,8,9.

Im badly stuck for a 46mm piston for the front caliper.new or second hand would do at this stage
I've learned from Martin of girodisc.com that Centric does make aftermarket replacement caliper pistons for the stock Brembos on the Evo 8/9 (which would assumedly work on the STi Brembo as well). They are only $25 each, but that's still $200 that I paid for a complete set of new pistons for my Evo's front calipers (both left and right).

Interestingly, Girodisc has had exactly zero requests for replacement pistons, until I called... and then within 24 hours, a guy in FINLAND wanted a set, and emailed pictures of OEM pistons evidencing virtually the same heat damage as mine.

By the way, the Brembo pistons that HRPworld.com sells WILL NOT work on OEM Brembo Evo calipers:

http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.c...action=product

- are for Brembo race calipers - which are deeper b/c the pads they use are about 20mm thick, and need to be able to accommodate a greater range of motion as they wear - instead of 15mm for street-based applications. Therefore, those pistons wouldn't work on the calipers from an Evo, which are only 29mm deep.

Last edited by EGbeater; Apr 5, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

If there is enough interest...there could be a REbuild/replacement kit-UPGRADE for the Brembos, with better internal components. Right now it is in the planning stage, but if there are enough of U who want it..it could be in production fast as all the details are done. Pete
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I could name at least 6 people who would be on that. Likely over a dozen.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm on the fence if to rebuild my blackbos as well... $100 per caliper (http://www.girodisc.com/catalog/prod...840fef01b96dee) + the work, or just pick up some used clear coat pealing pinkos for about the same total price...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

The time estimate for a set of upgraded replacement pistons to be made for the Brembo Calipers is approx. 8 weeks. Pete
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peter Tiebout
If there is enough interest...there could be a REbuild/replacement kit-UPGRADE for the Brembos, with better internal components. Right now it is in the planning stage, but if there are enough of U who want it..it could be in production fast as all the details are done. Pete
What part(s) would constitute as an 'upgrade' from what Brembo designed??
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing you can really improve on are the pistons...that is really the only place where you can make any change to the Brembos and get a significant improvement in the performance of those calipers. Pete
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I missed it... but just curious as to what a redesigned piston would improve? I recall a thread showing some coating coming off, but other than than, my knowledge is too little to even guess at what else one would improve in a caliper piston. The material maybe for less heat transfer?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yes..the heat properties. pete
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

very interesting thread, i may have to hop on this rebuild
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing you can really improve on are the pistons...that is really the only place where you can make any change to the Brembos and get a significant improvement in the performance of those calipers. Pete
Originally Posted by xtnct
Maybe I missed it... but just curious as to what a redesigned piston would improve? I recall a thread showing some coating coming off, but other than than, my knowledge is too little to even guess at what else one would improve in a caliper piston. The material maybe for less heat transfer?
Yes..the heat properties. pete
So... are we talking standard pistons with some sort of ceramic heat barrier coating? Or pistons made from titanium instead of aluminum?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Getting away from the aluminum pistons should be the best way to help control the temp transfer and the properties of the actual piston when it is heated up. The "transfer" coatings (Swain and others) is an interesting option and seems to work very well. But for this idea, I think a different metal for the piston itself is a great starting point. Pete
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Please post up some pics of the damaged piston.

I know my 03 had some roughing but the seals never leaked.

It's good that you caught the leak. I wonder what would have happened had you run the car in that condition.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Please post up some pics of the damaged piston.

Quick Reply: Are replacement caliper pistons for OEM Brembo Evo 8/9 brakes available?