Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Are replacement caliper pistons for OEM Brembo Evo 8/9 brakes available?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Tiebout
Getting away from the aluminum pistons should be the best way to help control the temp transfer and the properties of the actual piston when it is heated up. The "transfer" coatings (Swain and others) is an interesting option and seems to work very well. But for this idea, I think a different metal for the piston itself is a great starting point. Pete
Had you posted this vid in your initial post, there would have been many fewer questions on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUMMn...layer_embedded

After seeing this vid, I am now much more easily swayed to go this route.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
True, but it's also heavier. I'd be after a Titanium piston before a SS one.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
True, but it's also heavier. I'd be after a Titanium piston before a SS one.
Agreed, but stainless steel is WAY cheaper than ti. The Doug Rippie S/S pistons are affordable at $190/set, but I'd guess than ti versions would likely be $500 or more.

In terms of the video, how can the water be boiling in the S/S piston at an indicated temperature of 160-170 degrees?

Wouldn't the piston need to be closer to 212 degrees for it to boil - unless this test was done @ 10,000 feet of elevation or something?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EGbeater
In terms of the video, how can the water be boiling in the S/S piston at an indicated temperature of 160-170 degrees?
I figured it must be that hot on the inside of the piston, but the outside is being cooled by the surrounding air? I'm no engineer though...

Are you going to jump on a set of these Hsun? Might have to have a caliper rebuilding party.

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Sort of metallurgy 101 when you look at it. Alum transfers heat almost 6 times faster and more efficiently then steel. This is why 75% of the microchip heatsinks out there are made from aluminum. Same thing if you use an alum pan or a steel pan to cook Mac and Cheese with. In the video the heat from the burner transfers to the water in the Alum piston much faster naturally, and also transfers that same heat to the outside of the piston faster. The SS one of course takes longer to get the heat to the water, and even longer to let that heat get to the outside of the piston. So in theory, what their trying to do is keep the heat from the pad transferring to the raw fluid, or at least slow it down.

From a material/price standard, i'd disagree that it'd be 500 a set (per wheel??) If you look at the amount of metal in the DC Sports strut bar, or even CBRD's Ti lug nuts, you set those next to 8 piston's, the other devices will have more metal in them, and retail for around 300 dollars out the door, esp since these are a very basic shape and require no welding or threading.

For my money, and based on the facts, if it's 190 a wheel for this, your better off with Ti Shims as they will deflect many times more heat then SS pistons would, nevermind the weight. However....if this is our only option, and some people are having Alum durability issues, then by all means.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I highly doubt they will make much difference during a 30 minute lapping session.

It might slow down the initial heat transfer but in the end its all the same.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
I figured it must be that hot on the inside of the piston, but the outside is being cooled by the surrounding air? I'm no engineer though...

Are you going to jump on a set of these Hsun? Might have to have a caliper rebuilding party.

Dave
No, I am not. I am going to a BBK after this year's autox-focused season is over.

Considering I've boiled Castrol SRF fluid with Girodisc Ti shims and two-piece vented rotors, and with brake cooling ducts aimed at my calipers, in about 5-7 hot laps at HPR (under 15 minutes of track time), AND my car will be over 100 whp/100 lb. ft. stronger when I return to the track in 2011, I believe the only braking solution for me lies in having substantially larger brake rotors.

Also, Balrok: A DC Sports ti strut tower brace is made of TUBING and PLATE. I think manufacturing ti brake pistons would require titanium BILLET, which I'm imagining has a completely different cost structure, not to mention the inherent high costs of machining titanium.

This webpage from 2003 -

http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/mech330/ticast.htm

- mentions a company in California who has the ability to make cast titanium parts - no idea if that'd be any cheaper or not.

Anyone actually have real-world experience working with titanium suppliers and manufacturing to give us a dose of reality?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Great video....You can see the SS piston transfers the heat at a much slower rate. I would love to know what a Ti piston would cost to make..hopefully less than the car cost ! Pete
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on how bad the caliper is it may be better to get a replacement rebuilt caliper.

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=120300
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

NuGeon...???
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Balrok
NuGeon...???
I think thats just the name of the company that rebuilds them.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody used em?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone find any Ti pistons?

I'm thinking about making some
Old May 20, 2012, 06:48 AM

Sorry to revive and old thread but does anybody know where to get replacement OEM front caliper pistons for cheap? Not looking for titanium one or special finishes.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grfft3r
Sorry to revive and old thread but does anybody know where to get replacement OEM front caliper pistons for cheap? Not looking for titanium one or special finishes.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8167386-post17.html

Quick Reply: Are replacement caliper pistons for OEM Brembo Evo 8/9 brakes available?