Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Nice. I was running that until I put that lil fan on. Cleared 20deg off the top on the same track/temp. Going at it in a few weeks back on the Sebring airport concrete so it should be the hottest it'll see.

As for the pressure - honki that's just being ignorant because we all know it's not a matter of if but when on something that vital. Fix dat sh*t lol. But i'm with him on running the thicker oil even on the stock block. Have been since 2008. At some point hopefully I'll have either a decent camera and camera angle to see the gauge during a session or an actual DAS to track the stuff.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Pressure in right-handers...

Did my best to get a video of the gauges during my last event. The oil pressure gauge is in the middle, check out how it drops in the tight right-handers; and doesn't really flinch at all when we turn left. The oil temps are on the right; they just climb throughout!

Oil Pressure - I think straight left is about 30 or 35. Straight down (6:00) is 0.
Oil Temps gauge:
Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Can't really tell from the vid .

On the temp note, i'm amazed how well putting that SPAL fan on works. Last weekend at Sebring - 95 outside temp, well into the hundreds track temp, oil didn't go past 235 deg!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Can't really tell from the vid .

On the temp note, i'm amazed how well putting that SPAL fan on works. Last weekend at Sebring - 95 outside temp, well into the hundreds track temp, oil didn't go past 235 deg!
Go fullscreen on the vid - and squint!

We need pics of your fancyboy fan!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

I made a separate post about it

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...e-cooling.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
made a front mount oil cooler, ill test it out at the glen in two weeks

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/we...il-cooler.html
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nils
oh yea.. and if ur running a red (best turbo in world btw)... oil feed it from the oil filter housing for consistant high oil pressure... the cartridge bearing needs it.
Originally Posted by rawkus
All oil pressure drops are in right hand turns... kinda scary to think about but no issues so far.
Dan
My FP-red blew up at the track and the verdict from English racing was oil starvation as the rod bearings showed signs they were as close to letting go as possible without actually failing.
The Red imploded between turn 7-8 at PIR just after a pair of right hand corners 5&6.

i was running AMsoil 10-40 racing with Zinc and the Red was cooled by the 2nd gen kit where oil comes off the filter housing but the fact it let go after the right hand corners makes you wonder. RIP Red

Aaron at English replaced the FP-Red with a HTA-3076 supplied by Michael at ETS. Aaron also replaced the stock pan with the AMS pan to mitigate oil starvation in the future. He's noodling on a dry sump system with a modified pan vs the custom pan used in kits on the market in an effort to keep costs down. I'm volunteering for testing it when available.
Some of the issues being discussed include the location of the resevoir which if too far away, say the trunk, can affect oil reaching operating temps in some cars.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Bump for a good thread. How many of you guys are running the Kiggly HLA?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump! For the above answer.

Also if you were to run a fan, I assume you would mount to the rear of the oil cooler and have it setup as a puller (pulling/drawing air out) instead of a pusher (pushing air in). If so, where would you buy such a fan and name of the fan? Would it be automatically running the entire time regardless of oil temp or would you manually turn on a switch from inside the cockpit.

Does those aftermarket thermostats help at all on track, or at least delay the oil temps from rising in theory maybe for half a lap or makes the oil temp rise slower? Stock opens up at 180F. There is a mishimoto racing one that opens up at 145F to let coolant flow. At $48shipped from maperformance, why not right.

Last edited by Pure EvoIX; Jun 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

^ if you run the Kiggly be sure to get the FP oil line for the turbo since you're cutting head pressure and the oil for the turbo relies on said pressure.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am will running either the BBK-B BB or the BBK Full JB.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
My first event in winter testing showed 260 oil temps measured before cooler? Just upgraded to AMS 6qt racing oil pan and ordered MAPerformance oil cooler kit. Shop filled with Amsoil 20w-50.

What is the best Amsoil racing oil weight in summer?
Where is your oil sensor? Before or after oil cooler?
Can you fit the puller fan on oil cooler with larger race tire set ups?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
^ if you run the Kiggly be sure to get the FP oil line for the turbo since you're cutting head pressure and the oil for the turbo relies on said pressure.
there should be no difference in oil pressure to the turbo with the kiggly. It's just a different type of regulator that doesn't dump the excess oil into the head, and either way the regulator only controls the pressure to the lifters. The turbo feed gets its oil from before the HLA regulator.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
there should be no difference in oil pressure to the turbo with the kiggly. It's just a different type of regulator that doesn't dump the excess oil into the head, and either way the regulator only controls the pressure to the lifters. The turbo feed gets its oil from before the HLA regulator.
I thought as much too until several engine builders told me otherwise. Either way always good to have the oil line and filter, more pressure and cleaner oil.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the NOOBs, at what point should one start worrying about the oiling system? I'm running HPDE 3-4 speeds on 255 RS-3s, Valvoline VR-1 20-50w, 300 whp. There are two of us driving, so the car often gets sessions back to back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!